Lifespan of a Heartland Fifth Wheel

readytohitheroad

Had an odd question pop into my head as my wife and I plan on migrating to full time rving.

When we purchase our fifth wheel (40' cyclone of some type) how long can we expect the rig to last assuming we take proper care of it?

Based on our plans we will probably put 7,000 miles per year on the rig.

Should we plan on replacing it after 10 years? 8?

Realize there are lots of variables in this question.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Take proper care with maintenance, upkeep, and upgrade components when necessary, it will last indefinitely....we're in our sixth year of fulltiming and our Bighorn is actually better than new! Our only reason to upgrade in the next several years would be for some of the newer amenities, such as the better insulation and quiet A/C...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with kakampers, we've been in ours 4 years full time and 2 years anytime (snowbirding). We too have done some upgrades to suspension but other than that, we just give it the same TLC we do any other piece of equipment. I plan on keeping the rig till either I tire of the lifestyle or I die. Whichever comes first.

shovelguy

We have had our BH since late 2007, fulltiming since last summer and using it every month prior to that. We try to take good care of her because so far we haven't seen anything else we like better than what we have now. She continues to provide good shelter for us.

Last edited:

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Although we do not full time in our Landmark, we have been very pleased with it. We purchased it new in November of 2004. It still looks and performs like new. It has set outside for most of the time we have owned it. Last year we bit the bullet and bought a shed for it. I can really tell a difference in how it cleans up now that we have it covered. Based on our 7 year old I would say if you take care of it it will last you past the 10 year mark.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I too totally agree with kakampers. Although I am not a full timer, I owned my SOB for 11 years and for the last 4 years I was a 1/2 timer (6 months) in that Rig. It was starting to show it's age, but it was not built nearly as well as my Cyclone. I expect to enjoy at least 15 years in this rig and as others have pointed out - the only reason I will trade up will be for either a different lay out ( if I get rid of the toys ) or some major changes to RV tech! Now my TV - that is a totally different situation - when that reaches 500,000 miles I'll start thinking about a trade :cool:

Hope to see you at a rally or two down the road!

jayc

Legendary Member
Jim is right readytohittheroad. We have others coming in from NM, so come on down!

jayc

Legendary Member
We will be having another rally in October, so perhaps you will be able to make that one.

caissiel

Our previous unit was 15 years old and only had springs and tire repairs. The roof had an assembly flaw that. I had to repair 2 years before trading it. Reason for trade was the wood structure had deteriated so got rid of it for the BC. The new trailer has been tuned to my liking and so far I have a feeling it will surely have to last as long as the previous one. I stay ahead of all maintenance requirements. Just today I told dw that our truck was way better condition then 5 years ago. Things well maintained properly will last a long time.

plumberdude

hey there readytohittheroad,
we have been going to the rallys for a few years, try to make as many as we can, you cannot have to much fun(excuse to see her mother;)). we still work but your name sake is what we going to do some day soon..what kind of toys do you carry? we are in the process of selling ours roadglide 08 goldwing trike 07.
just things come up and you have to change life style. well give an email maybe coming from or going to we can stop and hello
see ya on the road
pat-lori-miriah(the dog)

readytohitheroad

pat and lori,
we have two harleys and will also at times be hauling some type of two person quad for hunting.
my problem is i realize that these fifth wheels are "bad" investments from a financial perspective and am struggling with going with a 42' versus a smaller model.
decisions, decisions
if you come thru this way let us know would love to meet

Scott and Laura

readytohitheroad

Thanks Jayc

will note that date and see what we can do

for us it is a 12 hour drive so we would have to take a couple days off

would certainly enjoy it!

jayc

Legendary Member
Ready, please keep an eye on the portal page for the announcement for the October rally, It should be coming soon.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Darn Jay...wanted to make it back this fall, but that's the same weekend as the Good Guys Lonestar car show in Ft. Worth..can't you make it the next weekend?..:rolleyes: