Oxidized faded front cap on greystone

Malbright

Has anyone else had an issue with their front cap oxidizing and fading? My whole front cap looks as if it was 20 years old. It's still under warranty I'm just wondering if I got a bad gel coat or if it's a common issue.

jbeletti

Please contact Heartland about this at 877-262-8032. They will likely ask you to stop into a dealership to have it reviewed and pictures taken and sent in.

GOTTOYS

It's happening to a lot of trailers with a gray front cap and not just Heartland either. The problem is in the gel-coat. It oxidizes and fades. The cure is to have it painted and decals replaced. I had mine done recently at a large truck/trailer body shop. They had a paint booth large enough to handle it. Contact Heartland Customer Service directly. You won't be the first. I'm sure they will help you out...Don

wmosher

Yes we have one 2011 graystone with the sam fading. This is going to be repainted under warranty now. We were at our dealer in bath new york & there was another 2011 fith wheel with the same problem

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Has anyone else had an issue with their front cap oxidizing and fading? My whole front cap looks as if it was 20 years old. It's still under warranty I'm just wondering if I got a bad gel coat or if it's a common issue.

Very common problem! Be sure to get it taken care of immediately! I treated our cap with Rejex which delayed the fading process quite well for a couple of years...downside is I am now out of warranty and the cap finish is starting a quick self-distruct! Looking at a $2000+ job to restore.

Yarbro

I have the same problem with a 2011 Greystone 32RL. The problem began last fall, within 8 months of purchase, and I thought it just needed waxing so I did that and it helped for a while. This year it has gone down hill rapidly. I first contacted the dealer. The dealer advised that I contact Heartland. I did and was offered $1500 plus decals to refinish the cap. That is about half the estimated cost to make this repair. I was told by the Heartland rep that this was a common problem because a UV protectant was omitted from the paint on the cap. I received a form by e-mail from the Heartland rep which stated in part that by signing Heartland would be released from all warranty on the trailer and that I was not to discuss the matter with anyone after signing. I have not signed the form nor returned it to Hearland. Has anyone else run into this? Is this not a manufacturing defect and one the company should make right?

TXTiger

As Jim Beletti suggested, call Heartland Customer Service. There have been many others who have had the same problem and Heartland has been good to take care of it under warranty.

Yarbro

Hmm. Guess I am not making myself understood, TwoToes. I have contacted Heartland Customer Service. Please read my post.

jimtoo

I have the same problem with a 2011 Greystone 32RL. The problem began last fall, within 8 months of purchase, and I thought it just needed waxing so I did that and it helped for a while. This year it has gone down hill rapidly. I first contacted the dealer. The dealer advised that I contact Heartland. I did and was offered $1500 plus decals to refinish the cap. That is about half the estimated cost to make this repair. I was told by the Heartland rep that this was a common problem because a UV protectant was omitted from the paint on the cap. I received a form by e-mail from the Heartland rep which stated in part that by signing Heartland would be released from all warranty on the trailer and that I was not to discuss the matter with anyone after signing. I have not signed the form nor returned it to Hearland. Has anyone else run into this? Is this not a manufacturing defect and one the company should make right?

Check other dealers or repair shops that are more in line with factory prices. I know there are some that do the work for that amount.

danemayer

...was offered $1500 plus decals to refinish the cap. That is about half the estimated cost to make this repair...Is this not a manufacturing defect and one the company should make right?

Hi Yarbro,

Obviously Heartland is trying to make it right by offering an amount they know from experience should cover the work.

I recently had an insurance claim on my truck. The insurance estimate put the repair cost at $2000. I went to 3 body shops and got bids of $2200, $2500 and $1400. Since I had to cover the deductible, I went with the low bid and I'm happy with the results.

So I agree with jimtoo. Find a repair shop that has a more reasonable price.

You should call Heartland ASAP.
I had the same problem with my 2011 Big Country.
The settlement they offered me was fair, but a few dollars short of what it cost me to have it painted.
They sent me a check and the decals, and I was happy with the settlement
I dealt with a gentleman named Jamie Justis who put the Customer, in Customer Service.
Heartland has an excellent company representative in this gentleman.
Heartland is also an excellent company to do business with, they stepped up and got things done.
If I wore a hat, it would be off to Heartland and Jamie Justis.
I stopped at my local RV dealer and he sent me to his guy who has a large enough building to paint 5ers, now the front cap looks like new.

Hockster

I have a 2011 greystone 32RL, my cap faded also, had it painted at the local rv shop under warranty.. what a mess, i didnt know they didnt have a paint booth.
My trailer has several areas where it has been painted becasue of defects in fiberglass, doors,ect. The grey plastic trim has also to cover the screws has also been replaced. Now i noticed the trim pieces on the slideouts are turning a pinkish grey. I have contacted Hearthland about it, they comment was you have a 1 year warranty.....
Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Bob