Battery sudden death

BigHorns

I have just lost a 3-year-old battery in a way I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered. These batteries were just routinely inspected and topped off (with barely any water addition needed anywhere) in September. Yesterday a power issue was traced to dead batteries. One of them had a cell with water level well below top of the plates and a broken plate (in the same cell if I recall correctly).

Over time, it's almost become an obsession when at the display to pay attention to the converter's charging state and battery voltage at various times and situations. I probably haven't had to add a cup of water to those batteries in three years- a testament (I've always thought) to the Progressive i9200 converter doing it's job. But I am baffled as to why a cell would lose that much water that quickly/suddenly. I can more easily explain the broken plate with their age combined with the water level getting that low.

In case it's relevant- we've been away from the unit for the last six weeks as it's been in the shop for other purposes. Likely it's been on and off shore power- possibly more off than on. Might it be typical for a cell to go that dry in that time in that circumstance? Was their age a contributor?

Thanks for any thoughts.

centerline

batteries can fail at anytime thruout their life.... and its futile to look for a reason, which is usually a manufacturing defect or, if its a wet cell, from rough, or improper handling which can also damage the battery internally.

the right charger can help a battery have a long powerful life, but its extremely rare for one to be responsible for the sudden destruction of a battery....

how many batteries do you have?... the display shows nothing about individual batteries or the state of charge while the charger is actively working.... but only after the charger has been shut down for an hour or two, will the indicator be able to tell you anything that would be usable.... because as the charger is working, its supplying full power to the system, which will show as "full power" on the gauge no matter if the batteries are up-taking charge or not, due to damage or any other reason..... and AFTER just being charged, it will take an hour or more for the battery to cool down and show the proper level of its charged state....

hydrometer testing combined with load testing is the only way you can really tell the health of a battery, unless it has completely died, as yours seems to have done....

then there is also the question, "do you only replace the failed battery, or do you replace ALL the batteries in the bank at the same time?"... the quick and proper answer is that if the batteries are less than 6 months old and have been lightly used, replace the single battery, but if its been in use longer than 6 months, or if the batteries have been used hard, discharged too far, too often , or show anything other than being in perfect condition, they should be replaced.... Because the existing batteries will quickly bring the new battery down to their level of health, and if you have missed anything in the troubleshooting by not having the right test equipment, the battery problems can continue....and a huge consideration is, "how long has the battery in question been damaged, as this damaged battery that has been trying to keep up with the rest of the pack is the same as putting a new battery in the bank with older batteries... a damaged battery can bring down all the batteries that it is connected to, so without the proper tools, you can never know.... although, by replacing the single battery, you may have bought some time til the new battery degrades to the level of the others....

I have spent most of my life working with batteries and on battery operated industrial equipment, and ive seen batteries that were faulty off the shelf, and many that failed sometime within the first year of being used...... and I have seen common batteries that have lasted well for over 15 years, individually, as well as some banks.... so take the information I offer and do with it what you think best for your situation...

if your charger caused the failure, it will have damaged ALL the batteries in the bank, but if a