PDA

View Full Version : WHAT To DO?



slarsenkim
09-02-2007, 06:15 AM
We have been offered a Great Deal ($*****) on an 08 BigHorn 3400RL. This is the model we want, but it is 8 months earlier than we planned on buying. We wouldn't be able to travel for at least 10 months. Therefore it would have to remain in storage. Any advice to help make our decision, we have 24 hours.:confused:



Admin: Pricing edited out by Admin per forum rules

Bopper
09-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Greetings:

Tough decision. However, waiting ten months before putting it into service may be problematic. You would then only have two months of full warranty left and that may not be enough time to sort out all of the inevitable issues that arise with a new unit.

If you could get an extension (of even two months) or some other resolution to the warranty issue, go for it. However, make sure that anything you get is in writing. Remember, verbal promises aren't worth the paper they are not written on.

Best regards,
Bopper

2 adults and a very spoiled Cocker Spaniel
2004 Bighorn 3500RL

sailorand
09-02-2007, 09:05 AM
buy it and use it for weekends and other holidays
Rand

slarsenkim
09-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Bopper,

The dealer told us that the warranty would not begin until we took it off the lot which will not be until April of 2008.

Good point about getting it in writing.

Ray LeTourneau
09-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Any chance of making the purchase now but not taking possession until you originally planned and start warranty when you pick it up?

Uncle Rog
09-02-2007, 11:27 AM
slarsenkim, Rand and Ray both have good ideas. If you have room at your house or a CG close at hand you can run the rig through it's paces to sort out any problems. I wouldn't want to start out with any unit with only two months of warranty. Try posting in the ATF section for an alternative. I know how you feel, it is hard to turn down the long deal...........

vangoes
09-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I would be very skeptical of any deal that the sales people put a 24 hr. time limit on the offer. That is just a high pressure tactic!

jpmorgan37
09-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree with vangoes. There will probably be similar deals next year except they will be on a 2009. Just my opinion.
John

Jimmyt5
09-02-2007, 01:09 PM
I look at it a little different. It will be one year old in the NADA book which equals some cash lost, the way the change the campers with goodies you might miss out on a lot of things you would like. There is always a good deal coming along that you just can't beat.

Jim

ct0218
09-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I believe a reputable dealer would make an offer that's good longer than 24 hours. I've walked away from a couple of auto deals just because of that, and both times found an equal or better deal later. In my business (log homes) there are a couple of less-than-honest companies that have show special deals that are only good if you sign the weekend of the show--when it's difficult to compare apple to apple pricing. I routinely accept offers I've made 6-12 months earlier. If a price is good today, it should be good several days or a week later.

Uncle Rog
09-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Good point Clark, I missed the 24 hour dealio................

slarsenkim
09-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the responses. The dealer didn't provide the pressure as much as we knew this unit wouldn't be available at the price quoted longer than 24 hours. My DW & I decided to move forward. We are the proud owners of a BigHorn 3400RL. We worked a deal for an extended delivery date and an extended warranty. We will start working on debugging and learning jaunts in April preparing for Full Timing in December '08None

cdbMidland
09-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Bopper,

The dealer told us that the warranty would not begin until we took it off the lot which will not be until April of 2008.

Good point about getting it in writing.

I absolutely agree that both the dealer and Heartland should confirm that the warranty period won't start until you take it off the lot.

In my case, it only amounted to two weeks between "date of purchase" and "date of delivery". After my PDI, dealer stated they would need a few days and I had somewhere I had to go between the two dates - dealer wanted me to close at end of July to help them meet a quota (thus explaining the two week difference). When I returned to dealer for some work near the end of the first year, both Heartland and General RV stated that my purchase date started the warranty period. Of course, Heartland being the kind of company that they were still backed their product, even when General stated that "sorry, but your warranty period expired two days ago".

Thanks, Heartland.

Boo, General.

Chuck

ct0218
09-02-2007, 10:34 PM
slarsenkim
Good to know it wasn't dealer pressure, congratulations!