Cyclone 4100? TV?

Noobie

I've never had a 5er and have no idea how to figure these numbers

What I do know is the 5er max weight is 18k

The tv I'm looking at would be a F450 don't know what engine size or weights

Would a 450 be strong enough? Or do I need to step up to a semi? This would be my daily driver so I'd prefer not to need a semi

Can those with more experience help me?

Thanks
Tim

danemayer

Hi Noobie,

You didn't say whether you're looking at new or used. If new, a 450 dually is rated around 24,000# vs the 18,000 needed. A 450 dually will also have plenty of vertical load capacity to handle pinbox weight.

BUT, an F350 diesel dually will get you around 22,000 towing capacity and should also handle the vertical load nicely. The F350 has a 3.73 rear axle ratio vs 4.3 on the F450. So the F350 will use quite a bit less fuel.

So if you buy an F350, you'll pay less up front, and pay less every time you drive.

bd2dabone

I have a 2012 ford f350 superduty DRW. I added Firestone rear air bags to level the truck and trailer. I tow a 3012 cyclone 3800. Depending on terrain I get an average 10 mpg, sometimes more sometimes less, running at 60 mph. Handles nicely.

jayandhisgals

I have a 2012 ford f350 superduty DRW. I added Firestone rear air bags to level the truck and trailer. I tow a 3012 cyclone 3800. Depending on terrain I get an average 10 mpg, sometimes more sometimes less, running at 60 mph. Handles nicely.

We also tow a Cyclone our is a 2012 3712cy. GWV around 18k. Our TV is a 2001 7.3L Diesel F350 DRW. We usually around 13 mpg when towing. 17mpg empty. The F350 is an excellent choice. We also added the Firestone air ride. Tows great, like noting is behind it. Noobie, you'll be fine with either one F450 or F350. But w/ the F350 your gonna save yourself some $$. Just make sure you get DRW, it really helps it ride much nicer. Have fun and enjoy your new toys!

bd2dabone

Check with your insurance also on the 450. I hear some companies are making you a commercial vehicle. I assume your rates are higher for that.

Noobie

Thanks all the 450 I was looking at was a 2008.

I do have a question I looked at a 2008 350, and that said it can only tow 18k which is the max trailer weight. Wouldn't that be too low of a safety margin? I see a lot of people do this but I want to be plenty safe

Thanks all this forum has been a huge help

jayandhisgals

Thanks all the 450 I was looking at was a 2008.

I do have a question I looked at a 2008 350, and that said it can only tow 18k which is the max trailer weight. Wouldn't that be too low of a safety margin? I see a lot of people do this but I want to be plenty safe

Thanks all this forum has been a huge help

I wouldn't go w/ the '08 F350 if it's max tow is only 18k. You'll be working the truck at it's max limits. Check into other yrs. We recently purchased our F350 and did several days worth of research to find the exact model and features we were looking for such as engine size, tow capabilities, performance. Check You Tube, look for "The Diesel Guy" he is full of great information about Ford diesel trucks also search out and read customer reviews for the yr make and model you are considering purchasing. Be paitent, keep looking you'll find the perfect truck. Perhaps you can find an F350 like ours w/ the factory ambulance pkg. It's tow capacities are almost a quarter more then standard F350's. We bought our Cyclone before we even had a truck, we had been shopping for a truck for several months but it just worked out that we found the Cyclone before we found a truck. Kind of put the Cart before the horses but looking back it worked out perfectly because we were able to know exactly what we were gonna need in a TV. Good luck. Oh and by the way. We had the best luck finding good used F350's & F450 in Oklahoma, if you can travel you can expand your selection and availability. We looked everywhere from NY to Ca.

I just purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 dually with max tow package (2 transmission coolers) and 3.73 rear end, auto trans & Cummings motor. Looking to purchase either a cyclone 3800, 4000 or 4100. Should I be ok with the towing capacity. Depending on where I look the towing capacity of this vehicle is from 14,000 to 21000. Bought the 2012 new because they were having great sales and rebates and then because no need to add anything to the fuel.

jimtoo

Hi Sandman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would think you should be fine with the Ram dually. You will get more replies from our other members soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

scottyb

I just purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 dually with max tow package (2 transmission coolers) and 3.73 rear end, auto trans & Cummings motor. Looking to purchase either a cyclone 3800, 4000 or 4100. Should I be ok with the towing capacity. Depending on where I look the towing capacity of this vehicle is from 14,000 to 21000. Bought the 2012 new because they were having great sales and rebates and then because no need to add anything to the fuel.

Hi Sandman. I think you will be very happy pulling any Cyclone with your 2012 Ram Dually. I'm not familiar with it's specs but there are many people pulling Cyclones of the same weight class with even earlier YM's than yours. If you notice, all the big 3-axles are within a few 100 lbs on dry weight and pin weight, and they are all 18K GVWR.

All,
I purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 mega cab drw last year... My concerns are the turning capabilities with the Cyclone 4100King. I'm very interested in that model for our family needs, but I read over the years that people were running their cabs into the 5th wheel when turning... Is that still an issue even with the 88 degree turning ability now?

Thank you for any input

jimtoo

Hi hendricksk9,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

It seems as no one is having a problem with the turning any more since the cap has been modified by Heartland. That is as long as you are level. If way off level then you really need to be careful. I'm sure you will get some opinions shortly.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

All,
I purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 mega cab drw last year... My concerns are the turning capabilities with the Cyclone 4100King. I'm very interested in that model for our family needs, but I read over the years that people were running their cabs into the 5th wheel when turning... Is that still an issue even with the 88 degree turning ability now?

Thank you for any input
I am pulling with a Ram Mega and no slider hitch. So far, I have not come close to contacting truck to trailer. But I watch very carefully when turning and backing. Where I think you would hit the only limitation is if you found yourself on a narrow two lane road and due to some unforeseen reason had to turn the rig around.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
OP, don't get to rapped up in the F450 as the 2011 and later are just a glorified F350. There is very few components on them that actually carry over fron the F450 Cab and Chassis models. Front brakes are .9" larger and rear is .5" larger. Same rear axle and hardware but with the 4.30 gearing. The front I believe has a wider front axle with better turning radius.

But Ford quite producing a true F450 pickup in 2010. Those where actual F450 using a Dana Spicer 110 rear axle, 19.5" wheels, C&C frame, and so on.

Though the pickup that has the highest tow rating is the 2013 3500 Dodge @37klbs. Higher then any F450 or 4500 on the roads. Probably the best towing pickup on the road.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The 450 front axle is wider.

2011+
All 4WD Super Duty's have the Dana 60 front axle
The 350/450 DRW's have Dana 80 axles, same weight rating of 9500 pounds.

Well their you go. 2011 F450 should never carry the F450 badge as it is nothing close of what a F450 should be. I think they are a joke.

Based on what - specs?

I like my Ford. It has amazing power from a dig with a trailer behind it. But it's a dog at speed and a snail pulling a hill. With the advertise torque rating I am really disappointed in its performance at highway speed.

Comparing this truck to my old 650ftlb CTD while it was stock. I would have to say that a 850ftlb CTD will put a serious hurting on the current Fords and just walk away from them loaded.

Spec's are always unrated. You will see that number climb over the next few years. Not going to be long before it hits 40k at the rate they are going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD