Question about Mexico for Texans/Winter Texans

olcoon

Sally & I were wondering how things are going down in Mexico. Mainly around Progresso, will it be "safe" to cross & do some shopping when we get down there? Hopefully we'll be heading down there in Jan. or Feb.

bd2dabone

Question for Texans/Winter Texans

Native Texan here-stay out of Mexico unless you are off a cruise ship and then don't get off the beaten path. Ain't nothin in that place worth losing your life over by drug lords.

scottyb

Re: Question for Texans/Winter Texans

I agree. The whole Texas border is a mess. Not worth the risk. I've been to about every border crossing in Texas over my lifetime. When we were kids in high school, we used to go to Jaurez and Acuna, and never think anything about it. No way I would cross the border these days. I still go to the Island of Cozumel and feel safe, but it is isolated from the mainland.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

Roy, we're not down there yet but I haven't heard of any problems. As soon as I get down to Mission and find out, I'll let you know.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

All border towns were safe until the day came when they were not. When that day comes is unknown. A few years ago we crossed at Roma and went to the nice little town of Miguel Aleman. Nice time and great food. A week later my friend called and said they just found some city officials head rolling down the street. Along with a shoot out. So I will stay on this side of the river from now on. Peace Dave

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired

We were suppose to go to Progresso yesterday (Weds the 28th) but seeing that I was laid up with a swollen foot, we changed it for a couple of weeks. We have been going there for about 6 years. We use our common sense and stay only about 2 blocks from the boarder, don't wonder off, and stay with the crowd. We spend about maybe the most about 2 hours and then head back across. Progresso is the only boarder that we cross as we feel safe. I check the McAllen newspaper The Monitor to see what is happening in the boarder area. The dentist that we go to is right across the boarder in the courtyard to the left, where the good Maragrita's are.. LOL

samrdm

We have been to Progresso twice and going again tomorrow. You have no problem in the daytime. We have been several blocks into Mexico and no problem. The bakery is full of Winter Texans as well as some dentists office. We were there from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and enjoyed dancing and meeting other Winter Texans.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

My advise is ask the locals in the RV park prior to going to check out the current 'climate" and then use common sense. I would never take my vehicle there but park at the border parking lot and walk over.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

There were some people at the park where we were last year that took their Hummer across the border if you can believe that! We always walk across and only go a couple of blocks into Progresso.

Mr.D

Ya Now Folks, We have been traveling down into Mexico for over 30 yrs. Lots of time on Baja and many years on the main land. Yes, things have changed, BUT the last 6 years we have gone down to Kino Bay (Baja de Kino), outside of Hermosilla/ We have always traveled during the day and with 2 or more rigs.(just in case of a vehice problem). Most of the Highways we travel now are better than the ones in CA. We have NEVER had a problem with anyone. If you could only see the numbers of Americans and Canadans down there you would be surprised. Can something happen??? you bet!! But we feel its much safer than Oakand or Fresno CA. We don't go bar hopping at night or being in places we don't belong. It's too bad the area has such a bad reputation. It's really hurting the Mexican families. For those of you that have always gone across along the Texas border, than forget that and come over West and go over at Nogales. We have never had concerns taking our rig over and having a great winter...................

Lance & Jo

Agree with what Mr D. has said, we have been in Mx mostly full time since 01 and now with the trailer instead of a boat we travel north in the summer. There are literaly 1,000's of American and Canadian folks living full time here and the number probably doubles when you count the seasonal folks. Travel through La Paz has slowed the last couple years due to the bad press but in Jan. we expect to have 3 caravans with 52 rigs all here at the same time. For those folks wanting to experience Mexico but worried about the drug problems in the news I would suggest a trip down the Baja. There are a lot of good resources for travel in Mx such as Snowbirds & RV Travelers Magazine at suncruisermedia.com, check out the articles by Dan & Lisa Goy. Would be happy to share our experiences and the coffee pot is always on here at Casa Milagro.

olcoon

Thanks everyone for the replys. We are just thinking about walking a few blocks past the border for shopping, & crossing at Progresso, staying a few hours & returning. Hadn't really thought about going deeper into Mexico & spending ay amount of time, but that was interesting. Seems like at least some people have some very good experiences!

jbeletti

Roy,

I have walked across 2 or 3 times at Progresso. Nancy was with me last time. We always felt safe and as others stated, never walked in more than 3 blocks and never strayed off the main road. We always parked on the US side and walked across the bridge. Using the new Passport cards makes it even easier, not having to take our full Passports with us. We've had fun shopping, having lunch and buying meds.

We'll go over with you when we are there later in January :)

This all said, each must determine their risk level and use that as their guide. I certainly judge no one who'd prefer not to walk over.

Jim

jlb27537

Progresso is just fine. We went over Dec 7 for the Welcome Back Winter Texan Party. The crowds are down this year. The parks are no where near full.

Jim

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We went to Progresso yesterday and we got there around 9 AM and the parking lot was petty empty. On the way we noticed that alot of the RV parks were not full, lots of empty spaces. There were not alot of people roaming the streets in Progresso. We left around 1 PM and the parking lot had a few more vehicles. We felt very safe also..

olcoon

Thanks Karen, that's what we want to hear! Wonder what the deal is this year, wonder if it'll pick up after the first of the year?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Dave and the others who live in border states.
I have camped in MX. for 30 years.
I have traveled and surfed there for close to 50 years.
I love Mexico.
2 years ago the Mexican gov. issued a warning to So.Cal. residents heading south to Baja for the holidays, advising against it.
They said if you come South you are on your own because "we can not protect you."
Now that just doesn't give me the "warm and fuzzys" Trace

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here in the Dallas area, they report that Mexican drug war activity is prevalent along the Texas/Mexico border.. and civilians can be targeted, caught in a bad situation or kidnapped for ransom.

They make it sound like somewhere I don't want to go. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wmnmy

If you do decide to go please be aware of your surroundings and be safe god bless . The drug lords (cartel) have no regard for human life .