Use E tires then upgrade?

We are looking at a BH 3570rs. Upgrading to G614 during build is no cheaper than getting them installed by a tire company a few months down the road. We thought about using the Chinese bombs until we have about 4000 miles on the unit. Since I've never pulled anything this long I can bump the curves with the bad tires then change to the new ones before really hitting the road full time. Comments?

jnbhobe

Sounds good as long as you don't blow one first and do 5K damage to a new rig. I'd put the tires on first!!

danemayer

Don't overlook the wheels. If the BH arrives with wheels rated at 80psi, you'll have to upgrade them as we'll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I've done it two ways,
1. sold the oem wheels/tires on EBay (slapped a shipping sticker on the inside of the wheel , UPS approved).
2. The new tire dealer took the new oem tires in trade. Get the best price on your new tire first! then ask for the trade-in value ($100-$200 for all 4)

You may need new higher PSI wheels for the Goodyears G's.

Well, What have I done ? My NEW unit is in the drive-way waiting fo the rains to stop. Then I plan a short trip to check it out.
Question now is did I have an option for tires prior to the purchase. If I must lose I would prefer the cost of buying a new set of tires
now than finding myself on the side of the road with plastic, hoses and rubber spread over the highway. I lost a Michilen on a class A once Big mess and huge repair bill. Does anyone have advice on what tires I might replace with ? Already having 2nd thought about the Heartland experience....Trev

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, What have I done ? My NEW unit is in the drive-way waiting fo the rains to stop. Then I plan a short trip to check it out.
Question now is did I have an option for tires prior to the purchase. If I must lose I would prefer the cost of buying a new set of tires
now than finding myself on the side of the road with plastic, hoses and rubber spread over the highway. I lost a Michilen on a class A once Big mess and huge repair bill. Does anyone have advice on what tires I might replace with ? Already having 2nd thought about the Heartland experience....Trev

The TowMax issues have mainly been on the heavier 5vers. Don't have a second thought about HL. All manufacturers use these tires. Even saw TowMax on a high-end, non-Heartland 5ver at the RV show.

I would doubt you would have been offered a choice of tire. I think its only available if you ask when a coach is being built. You might have been able to get the dealer to change them to make the deal.

I would check the mfg dates, (if greater than 2 years, be very concerned) make sure they are balanced, and watch them like a hawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the input. Yes, I think we'll go ahead and get the better tires at the factory. Better safe than sorry. And coneagal59fal I didn't mean to cause you concern. I have been researching 5ers for months and heartland comes out on top for value for th money and customer support. I hope you will be very happy with yours.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
In 4000 miles you may find 4 blown tires if you use the math at the rate mine blew. Right at 1000 miles I lost a Towmax. Did around $3,000 in damages. Good luck on the endeavor to making a Towmax last 4,000 miles.

Trailer was at its dry weight. With the exception of clothing and food.

Heartland customer support is pretty darn good. They took great care of me when my tire blew. As Heartland covered the cost on all of the repairs. Stand up company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD