Bighorn Traveler Tires - what to replace with?

EAA83

We recently purchased and have very much enjoyed our new BigHorn Traveler 32RS. Thanks to a couple blown two year old china bomb Trailer King tires in less than a day we ended up at the Chattanooga Camping World where we thought we'd spend Sunday browsing around the lot waiting on Monday to get all four tires changed. Little did we know the sales staff would be there....and the rest is history.
The Traveler is perfect for us, very well built and great looking. We received many compliments during our month stay in FL. The trade in was our 10 year old BigHorn 3385. It too was a great unit that sold before we got moved out of it.

My purpose for posting is in regards to the tires. This new unit came equipped with the same Trailer King F rated 12 ply tires. After the blowout experience on two of them I'm spooked about continuing to run them. We made it home after a 2000 mile vacation and I have no intention of pulling them another mile. Due to the gross weight of the camper at 15,500# the Good Year Endurance tire is not an option as it's only available in an max E rating 10 ply. I've read many good reviews on the Good Year G614 which is available in a G rating 14 ply. The only issue is the price but...that can be cheap when considering the alternative. Any comments and experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: New BigHorn Traveler

I can offer my two cents.
Over the years I have read about more issues with the Goodyear G614 than the Sailun S637.
I currently have the G614 tires that need replacing. They have not been without issues. But in all fairness any tire can be problematic.
I have 5 new Sailuns waiting for me over by my tire guy. They will be going on next week.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
New BigHorn Traveler

Our 16k gvwr Big Country came with Sailuns. When they became 5 years old we decided to replace them, mainly because they were beginning to show some UV cracking, and getting close to the wear bars... it’s cheaper than risking a blowout with damage, and we had a big trip planned this winter. Well, we went with the Sailun S637T HD ST trailer tire again, but there are two versions for the same tire. The first one, 5540993, has a little thicker tread and has a slightly higher load capacity, 4400lbs vs 4080lbs.

5540993 ST235/85R16 132/127
5541960 ST235/80R16 129/125

Our original tires were 5540992, and were ST235/85/R16 129/125. The outer diameter of the 5540993 tire is bigger by 0.9 inches. We went with the higher load capacity and have no issues with the slightly larger diameter tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAA83

Thank you all for your help. Bad or good before I thought to reach out to y'all I had read many...maybe too many....reviews on both. One thing I noticed on one of the other RV forums was that the reviews on the Good Year G614's were from around 2013 and pretty bad. Looked some more and found reviews from 2017-2020....100% favorable on a wide variety of trailers, RV's and motor coaches which included some very interesting comments of usage. Unfortunately the turning point for me came when I learned the Sailun's were made in China & the Good Year's in the USA. So ordered the G614's. If there are any problems you all will be the first to know.
Thanks again for the great info, Keith

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thank you all for your help. Bad or good before I thought to reach out to y'all I had read many...maybe too many....reviews on both. One thing I noticed on one of the other RV forums was that the reviews on the Good Year G614's were from around 2013 and pretty bad. Looked some more and found reviews from 2017-2020....100% favorable on a wide variety of trailers, RV's and motor coaches which included some very interesting comments of usage. Unfortunately the turning point for me came when I learned the Sailun's were made in China & the Good Year's in the USA. So ordered the G614's. If there are any problems you all will be the first to know.
Thanks again for the great info, Keith

My Sailuns were made in Vietnam.

But you can’t go wrong with Goodyear, they are just to pricey for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk