black water

i,m trying to winterize can,t seem to get holdoing tank empty,drained all tanks flushed holding tank. The holding gauge still reads 3/4 full? any way to check tank? and if it,s not draing what,s the fix? any help would would be apreciated. Thanks Jim Thomas

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
The gauges on black water tanks seem to work for 3 weeks on average. Apparently the gauge works using a bobber that "sticks" to "something" and stops giving an accurate reading. Adding Calgon to your black water tank sometimes helps to prevent the the gauge from sticking.

Pulltab

Actually I believe they are just contacts on the inside of the tank. If you want them to work you really need to get water to shoot directly at them from inside the tank. They are probably on the offdoor side end of tank. Another way that works pretty well is to put a 1/2 tank of water in and dump in a couple bags of ice and take the trailer for a ride. The sloshing around will usually clean them off and make them work again.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The best method I have found is to use Calgon water softener-about two capfulls in about three or four gallons of water after cleaning the tank. Leave this mixture in the tank while traveling to slosh around and thoroughly coat the sides and sensors with the slippery water and that seems to give a better reading for the gauge.

I guess this should be drained from the tank when winterizing.

Country

What about Happy Camper? Isn't that supposed to keep the senors clean too? I just bought some, but haven't used it yet.

ChopperBill

I am a Happy Camper and Calgon believer. Works great. All sensors show empty as they should right now. I dont do the driving around deal I just treat them after every dump. Happy Camper does make an extreme cleaner that works very well also. Just put in the required amount and fill the tank with water. Let is set a day or two and your sensors should work.