Tore roof on tree limb... Doh!!!

RCF

I think at least a little blame goes to the campground manager who put us somewhere I never should have been put in a 40ft fifth wheel, and couldn't tell that til I got back in there. Decided not to stay and did it pulling out of that section (different "road" and couldn't turn around). Anyway tore up the roof pretty bad for about 8-10ft right on the off door side corner, including denting in the aluminum under it. No other damage that I can see at all. Rig is not even a year old :(:mad:...

I called the insurance co. and started a claim - it's torn all the way down to the drip rail, so no patching it (at least that I would be comfortable with).

Anyone know a good place in TX to replace the roof? I know Ron Hoover is pretty good, but not sure if they do stuff like this.

yepuhuh

My buddy owns a 20 year warranty roof coating business here in NE florida, if you are willing to drive the distance. He is the best at what he does. Folks drive to his shop from all over the US! David has perfected the formula on his roof coatings. Here is his website http://www.davidspermanentcoatings.com/

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Awwww, Clint, sorry to hear that! I don't have any recommendations except I know JayC has had great things to say about Ron Hoover in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul & Nan

As Mike asked, where in Texas. There is a great Heartland dealer in Lufkin that did a good job on our roof when the front came loose.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
There is an RV repair place in Pipe Creek Texas. They repaired the slide on my Bighorn, the roof of a friends Teton. Their hourly price is $65/hr and they have been there for 30 years.

It is Texas Custom Coach (Coach Works). BTW they do build Prevost as well. I was very pleased with their work and will go back there if I have major work that is needed. A new roof is not that big of a problem so you might check their price and that of other dealers like Ron Hoover (contact Joe French)..

FWIW
BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Clint, I see that you are in Houston and would like to recommend Ron Hoover RV at their Katy Frwy. store. Ask for Tony Clark when you call and they will fix you up.

wdk450

Sorry about your roof. I had the same problem including the front side flashing dent on the door side, presumably gotten from a tree in Cody, Wyoming last year. After using a roll of duct tape to make it back to California, I talked to my RV repairer who talked $6000 insurance claim for a new roof. I wasn't comfortable with that, found the Dicor website, and used their repair materials to fix it myself (including a slide hammer to pop out the dented flashing). I ended up making another $3000 insurance claim this year after scraping a chain link fence pole. Heartland is going to take off the front cap next week as part of my frame flex repair, and I am sure they will comment on the roof.

Anyways, have you looked through RVServiceReviews.com for help in finding a repairer?

RCF

Thanks everyone! Yes we are in Houston, but would travel within 200-250 miles to make sure we get a good job done.

I'll probably start with Ron Hoover since they are local, but will check out all the other recommendations!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would suggest Ron Hoover in LaMarque TX (just south of Houston - I45 exit 10). Oasis RV Park is directly behind the Ron Hoover dealer (owned by them) and you can stay in your RV while it is getting fixed. You would have to leave while they are repairing the roof but only during the time it is in the shop. When you leave for the day Galveston is only a 20 minute drive as is NASA and Kemah. Ron Hoover in Katy is a good bet also but you would have to leave the RV. Baileys RV in Lufkin is great and is a Heartland dealer too. Convenience RV in Willis (on Hwy 75 just north of the Shepherd Hill exit) does good work too and has an RV Park next to their repair facility where you can stay. Convenience is an independent repair facility and does not sell new RVs so their business is repair and they are good and have a good selection of parts. Our daughter has her Trail Runner there and they do insurance work too.

ParkIt

Sorry to hear about the roof getting torn, that is something we ask campers to park and walk to the site to see if they are comfortable with it first. That's just good customer service, hope you can get it fixed soon and check the campsite's policy, they may be partly responsible for the cost (not a hard and fast rule but its worth checking).

As for using Rhino...not sure I'd go that route. It can brittle out on metal and absorb into non-metal surfaces. I might try Monstaliner since they have developed a softer elastic base for dampening sound and keeping moisture from getting between the layers. It holds up to flex and the elements but hard to keep clean.

RCF

Sorry to hear about the roof getting torn, that is something we ask campers to park and walk to the site to see if they are comfortable with it first. That's just good customer service, hope you can get it fixed soon and check the campsite's policy, they may be partly responsible for the cost (not a hard and fast rule but its worth checking).

Yessir, that is a very good idea - and a hard lesson to learn . . . I'll be doing this from now on if it isn't 100% obvious driving in.

I have a few warranty items as well, nothing major, so a Heartland dealer is a plus for me. We don't need to stay in it, but we were gonna park it at a campground near Katy - we live on the SSE side of town but building a new house in Katy (west). My wife is a teacher and starts working on and off this summer over there, and our old house is a 100mile round trip. So we were gonna stay in it when she was working (I work downtown, so no real difference for me).

ParkIt

Just got word we have a new golf cart on the way to take new arrivals to sites that are open instead of them having to walk to them. It's going to be much nicer this year on that end since we have to carry a damage policy - if we send a 40 footer to a 38 foot site and they clip a tree damaging their unit, we have to pay for part of the damage. Of course its not stated up front which is why an older building that no longer served its purpose was torn down and made room for temporary parking by the front office.
We also measured every single space this year so we know the length, width and tree height. We needed to know since the pull through area was getting torn up to have wider spaces for newer units with 3-5 slide outs and awnings and we took out the tent camping area behind it to accomplish that. Might have trees and grass but ya gotta know your turning radius and tree height!