Be watchful, whatever brand of tire you run!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey all, I am posting but do not want to start the war of "ST vs LT".

Just wanted to show what the beginning of tread separation can look like, if you catch it early enough.

Our tires are Maxxis 8008 23580R16 tires, we had installed to replace our TowMax. We installed them in September of 2011. They have probably 25000 miles on them, as we've done a trip nearly every month. We've traveled through 13 different states in the last 2 years.

We have a TPMS system, and tow consistently at 63mph. We're below our GVWR on the trailer, probably at least 1000 lbs. We traveled some rough interstate roads, shoot, who hasn't? But we've not had any significant impacts that we can recall. Our alignment was good, according to the check in Goshen. Wheel bearings serviced last fall. One could say I'm a hawk when it comes to our tires, I check them at every stop.

On a the last rest stop on our return from San Antonio last month, I noticed the start of some cracking where the tread meets the sidewall. I forgot to look at it when we got home, and DH returned the trailer to storage. A week ago, checking the trailer at the storage yard, I discovered the crack was now the beginnings of tread separation, and there was even a nylon thread hanging out!

Photo Aug 23, 8 20 11 AM.jpg Photo Aug 23, 8 20 22 AM.jpg

We had done extensive research before purchasing the Maxxis, and felt it was an excellent choice for our weight (under 14K) and wheel limitations (80psi max).

I again reviewed our choices, without changing wheels: Carlisle, GY Marathon, Tow Max, XPS Ribs... and others mentioned by a few.

When doing an internet search for tires, most of the Carlisle and Marathon reviews are bad. XPS Ribs get some praise, and of course we're not going with TowMax. I could not find any complaints about Maxxis.

Unfortunately, the XPS Ribs are rated a "summer tire" and not suited for cold/freezing weather use, which we do use our rig 12 months a year, including gong skiing. They also have a lower weight limit of 3042lbs, compared to 3420 with the Maxxis.

So although some may cry fowl on the ST tire for failing, it is still the best choice for us and our usage.

We had 5 new Maxxis put on yesterday (one was pro-rated, replaced under warranty). Date code 24th week of 2013. We'll be monitoring again, vigilantly. Safe travels, folks!

Erika

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika, thanks for the info.

I know it's been discussed before, but the following is perplexing to me.
I can put a decent set of Michelins on my TV, keep them inflated, rotate every 5000 miles and drive them a minimum of 60-80k miles.

I currently have G614's on my BH, because they were the solution to all tire problems according to many. I have about 6k miles and so far, no problems.
Now I am reading about a fair amount of G614 problems and waiting for the other shoe to drop.

With the technology available today, why on earth can't someone make a reliable light trailer tire that is on par with car and truck tires? Trace

Last edited:

SilverRhino

Tire discussions will probably go on forever. About a year ago when I wanted to change out the tires on our BC I was thinking of going with the Michelin ribs, but was concerned about the clearance between the tires. I have a friend who is a regional rep with Wingfoot, the industrial side of Goodyear, both he and my local Goodyear tire man recommended that I go with the Carlisle tires for my rig. I was not sure because I had heard good and bad about these tires.

I gave in to their recommendations, based on the experiences they had. Currently we have put about 5k on the tires and they are holding up just fine, time and miles will tell. Maybe someday someone will come up with the definitive answer regarding which tire to use.....of course then we will have to decide which is the best trailer or tow vehicle to put them on!:) Until then I will keep reading and diligently checking my tires.

Travel Safe!

swburbguy

I currently own a 2012 Jayco 25RKS . looking to get A HEARTLAND 5VER. My original tires came from factory with 45# valve stems. I had to change out tires. I just put Goodyear Marathons back on. This just happened the day we left for a 12 trip. I was at my RV dealer Thursday about the problem. SO make sure the tires on your rigs have the right valve stems. I had 45# ones needed them to be for 65# .

jbeletti

Erika,

Thanks for sharing your story. I feel there are a couple of good take-aways here:
1. Vigilance in checking tire pressure and visual inspections are critical to minimizing the potential of catastrophic failure/damage
2. Any brand/model of tire can at any given time, have problems
3. Road hazards (potholes, road debris, curbs, road/bridge interfaces etc.) are abound and are a significant contributor to tire failures

Kbvols

Erica, I have been reading all the tire threads and your posts regarding Maxxis along with research have me settled in on them as my Towmax replacement. At first reading this thread had me thinking oh no I have to start over ...but the fact you have gone back to the maxxis renewed some confidence. I agree tire maintenance takes a viligant effort.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Erika, Thanks for the report. For what it's worth, and I'm no expert, but the picture you posted really looks like a road hazard type failure. Again, just my opinion. Did the dealer that replaced your tires have any thoughts as to the damage?
I think the increased damage after sitting for a week may have been caused by the stress of the tire pressure from the inside. Logical to me anyway.

TravelTiger

We took tire and coach to Discount Tire. They were not the original seller, but the manager examined the tire and said to me, "We are going to get you a prorated replacement. It's tread separation." We did not discuss it further than that, as they were very busy, and slightly disorganized.

We ultimately got 5 for the price of 4, so I'm happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TravelTiger

I currently own a 2012 Jayco 25RKS . looking to get A HEARTLAND 5VER. My original tires came from factory with 45# valve stems. I had to change out tires. I just put Goodyear Marathons back on. This just happened the day we left for a 12 trip. I was at my RV dealer Thursday about the problem. SO make sure the tires on your rigs have the right valve stems. I had 45# ones needed them to be for 65# .

We have high pressure metal valve stems so we can use our tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RoadJunkie

The OP's tread title holds the best wisdom I have seen (in all former tire threads I have read on this forum) regarding tire awareness for our trailers. Some posters feel they have found the "holy grail" of tires only to find themselves with blown, shredded, or tread-separating tires. It doesn't help to badmouth any tire manufacture because the apparently spontaneous nature of tire failure is not manufacture specific. Tire maintenance (read, vigilance), combined with RV load awareness, will only help what could be inevitable failures from any manufacture.