Why Tires fail

tireman9

There are basically two reasons tire fail.
1. Over-load / under-inflation which are closely related since it is the inflation air that carries the load not the tire.
Under-inflation. A tire operating at less than 80% of the inflation needed to carry the load is considered to have been run flat and there is a good chance that there has been permanent internal structural done to the tire. Related to this is having the tire inflated to a level that just barely is rated for the actual load on the tire. Obviously you can be under-inflated because of cut or puncture or a valve leak or if you use an inaccurate gauge. If you run sufficiently low in pressure at highway speeds for a couple miles you can have a Run Low Flex Failure or more commonly a "Blowout".
Over-loaded Few people realize that by design most passenger vehicles have 13% to 20% or more "Reserve Load". That means that they are actually underloaded by that much for a vast majority of the time. Most TT on the other hand have tires selected that are at the tire max load and can just barely carry the actual load.
Data on actual loads measured on TT shows that over half of RVs measured (out of many thousands) have one or more tires overloaded based on actual inspection.

2. Heat. Heat damage occurs at the molecular level in that the ability of rubber to flex and stretch and not break the chemical bonds. Once broken these bonds no nor repair themselves, they just continue to grow. If they grow enough you can see the cracks and eventually you may have components come apart. Heat comes from a few different sources. This heat is generated by the flexing of the tire with the hottest region being at the belt edges (edge of the tread) in radials. Increased speed generates more heat and sometimes faster than the heat can be transferred to the surrounding air. Over-loading generates more heat. Under-inflation generates more heat. Having 0% reserve load generates more heat than having even 10% reserve load. Heat also comes from being in the sun. This heat can soak into the structure of the tire and actually accelerate the aging of the rubber in the tire. As rubber ages, it looses it's flexibility so this contributes to the breakdown of the rubber at the molecular level mentioned above. For every 18F increase in temperature the rate of aging doubles. So if the RV is parked with tires in direct sunlight you can see the tire achieve 36F increase or more which means it is aging at four times the rate it would have if in full shade. I have a blog post showing the results of a test of white tire covers to protect tires almost completely from this heat damage. Many times the cumulative damage from excess heat can result in a separation of the belts and tread from the rest of the tire.

Hope this helps others understand the primary causes of tire failures.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Regarding heat...

If aging accelerates by 2x every 18 degrees, what is the optimal temperature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TedS

Along with TravelTiger's question, what is the tire aging rate at various temperatures? Or when is a tire too old, aged out? Is there a maximum temperature for 'normal' aging and does the aging rate double at 18 degrees above that temperature? Or does a tire's temperature aging rate vary throughout its life of varying temperatures and there is some 'on average' figure?
Good post, tireman9.

tireman9

Regarding heat...

If aging accelerates by 2x every 18 degrees, what is the optimal temperature?

Really no "optimal temperature if you want tires to last as long as possible. Organic compounds change properties as they age. For rubber that means loss in flexibility.
Ever seen a 10 year old rubber band?
The rate of this chemical reaction basically doubles every 18°F increase.

tireman9

What is the source of this information?

If your question is about rubber aging...
Organic Chemistry.
Simply GOOGLE of Chemical Reaction Rate and you will find numerous references on temperature. Normal statement is "Rate doubles each 10°C"

10°C ~ 18°F

tireman9

Along with TravelTiger's question, what is the tire aging rate at various temperatures? Or when is a tire too old, aged out? Is there a maximum temperature for 'normal' aging and does the aging rate double at 18 degrees above that temperature? Or does a tire's temperature aging rate vary throughout its life of varying temperatures and there is some 'on average' figure?
Good post, tireman9.

Lets try this again.
For every temperature increase the chemical reaction rate doubles.

This works when you are making a comparison of aging rate at two different temperatures.

The rate of reaction, r, is defined to be the slope of the concentration-time plot for a species divided by the stoichiometric coefficient of that species. Additionally, if the species is a reactant, the negative value of the slope is used, because the slope is negative and a positive rate is desired. For the example shown above
rate of reaction = r = -d [A]
line.gif

d t
= -1
line.gif

d
line.gif

d t

[TD] =[/TD]
[TD]1
line.gif

3[/TD]
[TD]d [C]
line.gif

d t[/TD]

Source: http://www.chm.davidson.edu/vce/kinetics/RateOfReaction.html

MTPockets

Our bicycles are in the sun varying amounts of time over the years and we see the tires cracking in as little as 3 years - I'm sure vehicle tire compound is different, but rate of deterioration will vary under the previous mentioned conditions which will vary for each tire. Only in a controlled environment could any accurate life projections be made. I think the 5 year rule is a good "ball park" guess.

TedS

tireman9, the dt in those equations is delta time. How does that relate to temperature? The link illustrates time concentrations of reaction with no mention of temperature.
Let's try this. As an example, if I run 18 degrees above 120F all the time, on average, does my tire life become 1/2 that at 120F? If 10 years life at 120F, then 5 years life at 138F.

Grey Ghost

What about just plain inferior product and process? I've traveled these highways for many years and I think I take pretty good care of my equipment. I don't like sitting along side the road with tire problems so I make sure my tires are not overloaded, air pressure is checked before leaving the house and also before leaving each campground, I make sure they are covered (white covers of course) and they are up on either wood slabs or white plastic cutting boards off the ground. I don't travel over 60 to 65 mph, reflexes not what they used to be, and I watch the road so I can avoid hitting things in the road, eyes still pretty good. However, over the many years of traveling these road I've blown many ST tires. I've changed three units over from ST tires to LT tires over the years. Each time after I switched to LT tires I find I'm not sitting along side the road watching everyone else go by. My parents traveled prior to that and Dad just ran plain old car tires on his campers, Firestone, Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Dunlap and brands like those, never Power Max, Carleise or tires made especially for campers. He didn't seem to have much trouble either. I'm just saying that maybe ST tire companies should pay a little more attention to how LT tires are made and maybe there wouldn't be as many blow outs as you hear tell about. I'm also saying that tires that are manufactured in other countries may not be held to the same standards as american companies. Go figure!!

tireman9

I am getting a lot of questions here and via PM on Chemical Reaction rate with temperature as a variable. If you do not want to believe what is taught in Organic Chem or used everyday in thousands of industrial processes that is your prerogative but I just do not have the time to teach a College level course in Chemistry here.

I suggest that you first use the Internet and read a number of web pages that you can find with a simple GOOGLE of "Chemical Reaction Rate"

If you can't be bothered to do a GOOGLE search then at least read these pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_rate

http://www.chm.davidson.edu/vce/kinetics/ReactionRates.html

http://www.chm.davidson.edu/vce/kinetics/RateOfReaction.html

http://chemistry.about.com/od/stoichiometry/a/reactionrate.htm

Here are some specific references on tires
http://www.rubberchemtechnol.org/doi/abs/10.5254/1.3547913

This paper is a good read after you download it. Abstract "The focus of this research was to investigate the effect of thermal degradation upon the
mechanical properties of natural rubber compounds and apply those effects to the life prediction of off axis 2-ply cord rubber laminates. The work examined both the quasi-static and dynamic mechanical properties of two natural rubber vulcanizates, which had been subjected to isothermal anaerobic aging
"

After you study the above you can ask more questions but if you simply want me to "defend" well established rubber chemical properties because they do not agree with your pre-concieved ideas, then please don't bother. I really do not have the time or inclination.

Sorry if I get short but I made a similar post on why tires fail on 3 different forums. People seem to fall into two groups. Those that accept the information presented and those who do not have a degree in chemistry or related science but expect me to defend 100+ years of rubber chemistry because they do not want to believe basic science.

tireman9

What about just plain inferior product and process? I've traveled these highways for many years and I think I take pretty good care of my equipment. I don't like sitting along side the road with tire problems so I make sure my tires are not overloaded, air pressure is checked before leaving the house and also before leaving each campground, I make sure they are covered (white covers of course) and they are up on either wood slabs or white plastic cutting boards off the ground. I don't travel over 60 to 65 mph, reflexes not what they used to be, and I watch the road so I can avoid hitting things in the road, eyes still pretty good. However, over the many years of traveling these road I've blown many ST tires. I've changed three units over from ST tires to LT tires over the years. Each time after I switched to LT tires I find I'm not sitting along side the road watching everyone else go by. My parents traveled prior to that and Dad just ran plain old car tires on his campers, Firestone, Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Dunlap and brands like those, never Power Max, Carleise or tires made especially for campers. He didn't seem to have much trouble either. I'm just saying that maybe ST tire companies should pay a little more attention to how LT tires are made and maybe there wouldn't be as many blow outs as you hear tell about. I'm also saying that tires that are manufactured in other countries may not be held to the same standards as american companies. Go figure!!

Think I will wait a while and cool off before answering.

TedS

Jeez, a link to that paper earlier would have been enough. You are presenting yourself as the person who knows, therefore all the questions. I don't doubt your knowledge. Just interested in some source information.

dhcolesj

lgubbels, I'm with you. My dad used to just run regular light truck tires on the trailers we ran (didn't have campers) hauling backhoes, tractors, etc. We had less trouble with those than what I hear about on here. Of course my last camper's tires held up very well, just had to keep 'em aired up. :D

MTPockets

I'm a believer in the science and the manufacturers claims and specs based on that science. The following have been mentioned by others here and elsewhere, but I also believe that "most" tire failures are most likely caused by things like: road damage (seen and unseen), under/over inflation, over loading (majority never weigh their rigs), heat/sun exposure, excessive speed, improper storage, improper alignment, age of rubber, and I'm sure there are more; but, exceeding the tire manufacturers stated limits will eventually cause failure. The failures I read about here and on other forums, in my mind, usually point to one of these causes. What we don't hear about are the millions of tires and miles where no problems occur. Refusing to maintain and acknowledge these limits will lead to future problems. My opinions.

tireman9

Our bicycles are in the sun varying amounts of time over the years and we see the tires cracking in as little as 3 years - I'm sure vehicle tire compound is different, but rate of deterioration will vary under the previous mentioned conditions which will vary for each tire. Only in a controlled environment could any accurate life projections be made. I think the 5 year rule is a good "ball park" guess.

You are correct. In general, most motor vehicle tires are expected to be worn out in about 4-5 years. These tires may be able to be used for up to 10 to 15 years but there are variables that affect a tire life. It is very important to realize that tires have a finite flex life. Think of this as the number of times a tire can be deflected by 10% + number at 20% + number at 30% etc. The damage is not linear in that the damage from 20% deflection does much more than two times the damage than a 10% deflection where a single deflection at 90% might consume the same life cycles as Million at 15%.

The cumulative average time at a given temperature can result is faster or slower "effective" aging or loss of flexibility.

Lets work through a possible tire life. I will use Months for time increments and 18F increments for temperature to keep this reasonably short and the calculations simple.
Lets also assume the tire spends a total of 16 months parked in a cool garage at 50F and 10 months in a slightly warmer car port. Tire "B" is loaded heavier than "A" for 5 months so it runs hotter(104F) and for 5 months "B" is run heavier and faster than "A" so it gets even hotter.

Tire "A"
Time at Temperature = effective time
16.......... 50............ 16
10.......... 68............ 20
5 ........... 86 ........... 20
5........... 104 ........... 40
In this example the clock time is 36 months or 3 years but the chemical time is 96 months or 8 years

Tire "B"
Time at Temperature = effective time
16........... 50 .............. 16
10 .......... 68................ 20
5 ........... 104............... 40
5 ............ 122.............. 80
In this example the clock time is also 36 months or 3 years but the chemical time is 146 months or over 12 years.

NOTE: Do not assume that 50F is ideal or that tires have an infinite life at that temperature. I am just using this as a starting point.

Organic materials such as rubber compounds do not have an infinite life. I think we have all seen very old rubber bands and how they have lost their elasticity. So because of the operating life tire B has consumed more of the rubber's elastic life than tire A, we can see that B is more likely to fail if it hits a large bump or is turned more sharply than tire A after 36 months of clock time.

The above is a VERY simplified example of why keeping tires cooler by storing indoors or in full shade or under white covers and not heating them excessively with over-load or under-inflation or higher speed can provide longer life. Real life is very complex and if you do a detailed study of ambient temperature around the country you may be surprised to discover that on average Cleveland Ohio is hotter than Flagstaff, AZ so you can't even make broad generalizations for states that do not have exceptions.

Why do ST type tires have shorter life than LT tires? Well one of the first major differences is that ST tires have a DESIGN max operating speed of 65 and most LT tires have a much higher DESIGN max operating speed. It is quite possible that running an ST at 60 generates more cumulative rubber compound damage than running an LT tire at 70. It is also very likely that a vastly greater proportion of ST tires are run at or above 60 than the portion of LT tires are run above 70.

I hope this clears up the confusion some have expressed.

tireman9

tireman9, the dt in those equations is delta time. How does that relate to temperature? The link illustrates time concentrations of reaction with no mention of temperature.
Let's try this. As an example, if I run 18 degrees above 120F all the time, on average, does my tire life become 1/2 that at 120F? If 10 years life at 120F, then 5 years life at 138F.

Simple answer would be yes.

dewwood

I would like to thank tireman for his input on the discussion of tires. He has provided a good base for understanding how tires age and the differences between types of tires.

danemayer

Hi Tireman9,

Supposedly ST tires have a different sidewall design to deal with stresses unique to trailer towing. Can you comment on what those design differences are and how significant you believe them to be compared to LT tires.