FIXED: RAM Won't Start

jayc

Legendary Member
I went out to start my truck earlier in the afternoon. I remote-started it because it's cold and I wanted it to warm up for a bit. It started properly but when I unlocked the doors, the motor died. The dash display said remote start disabled as if I had unlocked the doors too soon. Now it won't start. The wait to start light comes on and when I try to start it, it just clicks once, as if something is locking out the start cycle. The batteries are not dead, the interior lights come on, the headlights work and the radio plays.

I know that there are safety features that will kill the motor if the key is not in the ignition but wonder if there is a reset switch somewhere that I don't know about?

TIA

f250dieseldad

Re: Ram Won't Start

You could try taking the cables off the batteries, wait a few minutes and reconnect them.

jnbhobe

Sounds like a battery problem Jay. Are the terminals clean?? or maybe one bad battery.

alex00

There should be a code associated with the reason for the remote start being disabled. There are five or six criteria that the computer checks, like doors locked, 1/4 tank of fuel, hood closed, etc. Did you unlock the doors with the key or with the remote fob? It may be a security alarm feature if you used the key. Try cycling through the different lock positions with the key fob. If that fails, dig into the evic for the fault code that triggered the shutdown.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Jay...Ken says from outside of truck, lock it, then try remote start again...

MTPockets

My Ford will shut down after 10 minutes if I don't insert ignition key after using remote start.

jayc

Legendary Member

The Ram does the same thing, shuts down after a period of time, as well as trying to lower the windows or put the truck in gear without the key in the ignition. I've tried everything suggested and no joy! Guess I'll wait until the morning when the dealer opens up and see if they can suggest anything.

TacoTom

I have to ask....did you place your foot on the brake to complete the remote start deactivation. Then repress the brake and start manually.

Tom

I went out to start my truck earlier in the afternoon. I remote-started it because it's cold and I wanted it to warm up for a bit. It started properly but when I unlocked the doors, the motor died. The dash display said remote start disabled as if I had unlocked the doors too soon. Now it won't start. The wait to start light comes on and when I try to start it, it just clicks once, as if something is locking out the start cycle. The batteries are not dead, the interior lights come on, the headlights work and the radio plays.

I know that there are safety features that will kill the motor if the key is not in the ignition but wonder if there is a reset switch somewhere that I don't know about?

TIA

jayc

Legendary Member

Figured it out! It wasn't a computer lockout after all, it was simply a bad battery. We did a battery load check and found that the passenger side battery was weak and needed replacement, so off to the battery store I went. Bought two new batteries and all is well.

jnbhobe

Figured it out! It wasn't a computer lockout after all, it was simply a bad battery. We did a battery load check and found that the passenger side battery was weak and needed replacement, so off to the battery store I went. Bought two new batteries and all is well.
That's what it sounded like Jay.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Our truck did the same thing back in Oct. Ran fine, came back to the camper, turned it off, then it wouldn't start but had all the interior lights, etc. Yep, one battery very weak so we replaced both. All's fine now.

alex00

It's a relief to know it was something as simple as a battery. Having the same remote start system in my Jeep and Ram truck, I was keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks for posting the resolution, too.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jay, if it has very cold where are......that will kill a battery faster than anything. One day working...next day junk.

jayc

Legendary Member
Bob, I suspect thats what did my battery in. Cold is hard on batteries but they're easy to replace. Not cheap, easy!

jnbhobe

I'm a little nervous to go out and try to start mine now. It's been a few weeks.

Hummm Mines been sitting here I the garage for 6 weeks,maybe I should get it running and go put it in my shop for the rest of the winter.

olcoon

Did your Ram come with the "Heated Tailgate" option? Standard equipment on Fords.

Ford found out the hard way. The reason the "heated tailgate" is standard of Fords, is so you can keep your hands warm when you are pushing it!!! ;):angel: