FYI for Missouri residents

olcoon

On Face Book there has been an ongoing discussion about people getting stopped by LE for only having 1 license plate. In MO if you are licensed for 18,000 (this will be most of us pulling a 5er) and over, you only get 1 license plate & it must be on the front I did some research, and according to DOR (link here), you can now get a 2nd plate for the rear. This is what the link says:

Effective August 28, 2013, the owner of a commercial motor vehicle registered for 18,000 lbs or above may be issued a second license plate for the rear of the vehicle. The second plate will have the same configuration as the initial (front) license plate, but will bear a “2” sticker indicating that it is for the rear of the vehicle.

If you wish to apply for a second license plate, you must submit: Proof of ownership or registration; A completed Application for Replacement Plate(s)/Tab(s) (Form 1576); and The $12 fee. The transaction may be processed at the time of renewal or at any time during the registration period at any Missouri license office. The second plate will be mailed directly to your address (as specified on the application).

In the above it says "commercial motor vehicle", this will also apply to those of us with a noncommercial pick-up pulling a 5th wheel. Also for those of us in MO, we can also get a permanent license plate for a 5th wheel trailer. This only applies to a 5th wheel trailer. The people at the license bureau may not know about it, and not want to give you one, but if you push it, they'll have to issue you one.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone in Missouri was interested.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Interesting, Roy! In TX, we gotta have both front and rear plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So far, in Michigan, we only need one in the rear. The trailer is issued a permanent plate. I figure if LE needs to see it, they're probably coming up behind you, anyways. Only way they could read the front one is if you're parked and backed into a wall. The second plate is plate is a govt. money grab.

happykraut

I love having just one plate. It gives me a chance to put a personalized plate in the back. I've been hassled in Alaska and stopped in TX for just having a front plate.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Interesting, Roy! In TX, we gotta have both front and rear plates.

I know you are supposed to have both front and back but a close friend only runs with the back plates on all three of his and has never been stopped or ticketed for it. In Louisiana we only have to have the plates in the back.

dbbls59

I carry a copy of the Missouri law regarding the placement of the single plate. I got this after a Arizona patrolmen gave me problems.

Grey Ghost

We live in Arizona and only have a rear plate and have never, I mean never had a problem and live next door to a DPS officer! We have pulled our 5ver in California, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana and Wyoming and have never had any problems with only one plate.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We live in Arizona and only have a rear plate and have never, I mean never had a problem and live next door to a DPS officer! We have pulled our 5ver in California, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana and Wyoming and have never had any problems with only one plate.

Yes, TX used to be rear only. That would not surprise me. But when Roy & Sally were visiting us, last year, it was quite odd to see his truck without a plate on the rear... I thought, "he might get pulled over here in TX!"

Hippy

I'll share a little of my expertise in California. All vehicles have to have two plates. One in the front and one in the rear. Registration tabs are placed on the rear plate with exception of your big tractors pulling trailers. There tabs have to be displayed on the front plate. It is customary not to cite an out of state vehicle ( car or truck ) for missing or not displaying two plates. The reason why is because we don't know what there state or other states require. Example, Arizona is only required to have one plate on the rear. So how can one be stopped or be cited. However you do have to display your registration tab regardless whether it's on the front or rear windshield or license plate. Tinted windows are another example. California doesn't allow and cites. The state of Nevada does allow the tinted windows. So if you have a Nevada resident passing thru, how can you stop and cite. Theres the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.. 28yrs exp.