Bandit here

Bandit

Bought a 2014 elkridge 34tsre with the towmax tires. Would like to know what is the best tire to replace with . I will not tow with them on . We plan on a trip in February to Florida to try it out.

danemayer

Hi Bandit,

"Best" might be a matter of opinion, but I'm sure you'll get some recommendations. What size tire do you currently have?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Your OEM's appear to be
16" E rated. IMO move up to a 'G' rated tire like Goodyear 614 , providing your wheels are stamped for the higher psi.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Your OEM's appear to be
16" E rated. IMO move up to a 'G' rated tire like Goodyear 614 , providing your wheels are stamped for the higher psi.

I am doubtful the wheels on an ElkRidge are rated for the higher PSI, but check. Look for a stamp. Or go to Tredit Tire and look for your wheels. If they are rated 3750, they are probably good for 110PSI.

If your wheels are not rated for the higher PSI, your options are dependent on a few factors.

Some may recommend the Michelin XPS Ribs, an LT tire, however their weight rating is 3042@80psi. (This weight rating is significantly lower than the Towmax of 3520@80psi.) This LT tire has a speed rating of 99mph.

Some may recommend the Maxxis 8008, an ST tire, which is 3420 at 80psi. This ST tire has a speed rating of 65mph max.

Under-inflation, overloading, and driving above the speed rating cause excessive heat, which will degrade any tire fast.

You will get lots of opinions on ST vs LT tires.

dbbls59

Your trailer has 6000 pound axles so the XP Ribs by Michelin will have the capacity to carry your axle rating. Probably the best tire out there however there are others less expensive that will do an adequate job. Look at BF Goodrich TA Commercials.

HornedToad

Bought a 2014 elkridge 34tsre with the towmax tires. Would like to know what is the best tire to replace with . I will not tow with them on . We plan on a trip in February to Florida to try it out.

Allright Bandit!!!

Your very first post and your already stirring it up... you'll like it here.

The "best tire" is a topic of contention on the forum.

Just remember, whoever stirs the pot, has to lick the spoon.