Roof Maintenance

jwalker1

Do ya'll re-dicor the EPDM roof on your Cyclones every year? This get's a little expensive. I had mine done by Camping World in October of 2012. Do I need to do it again this year?

jnbhobe

What do you mean by re-dicor ??? All I have ever done is wash it with Dawn and a little bleach. I have wiped a roof treatment on after washing a couple of times. I have done the same with all my rigs.

brianharrison

If you are referring to re-caulking around the roof penetrations, I do not re-caulk every year.

I inspect the Dicor lap sealant caulking where roof penetrations seal to the EPDM, looking for cracks and lifting of the caulk at the toes of the beads. If I see anything I clean and apply a top bead. Very rarely have I removed all the old caulk and appled all new caulking.

I re-caulk the SikoFlex (UV stabilized silicone) around the windows and other non roof seals more often than the Dicor lap sealant on the EPDM.

Hope this helps,
Brian

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had mine recaulked late in our first summer with the rig. Probably got stroked on that, but I kinda owed the mobile tech that did it for other reasons. Late this past summer, I redid all of the roof caulking by cleaning the existing stuff and laying a topcoat of Dicor Self-Leveling over it. I didn't have any leaks, but it was starting to show minor spider cracks, so I did it. Wasn't expensive since the Dicor rep at the 2013 Goshen rally was handing out tubes of caulk to seminar attendees. Actually got enough to do the whole job!

I went around the windows with BOSS 378 caulk. Some were starting to show a little separation between the caulk bead and top frame. So I cleaned that caulk out and applied the new. Same with the vertical trim on the front & rear caps.

Checking and recaulking when needed is worth the effort and expense, rather than waiting until you see interior damage that will ruin your day.