PDA

View Full Version : Jack antenna full install replace crank up

Miltp920
04-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Although I did this on a Cyclone, it applies to any camper. Maiden voyage, I left the antenna UP and a low tree branch ripped it off the uprights..that is another story.lol. so, upgrade antenna.
My install. Started on top, but you could take apart the interior first.
Just need a screwdriver or drill driver for this part.

Miltp920
04-13-2014, 05:02 PM
On top, I used paint scrapers to protect rubber roof. Prybar was helpful removing old antenna. I bought dicor and tape seal from my RV store. I used one tube dicor and half a roll of seal tape on job. I also bought this white Jack antenna mounting plate for $20. It helped cover the old Antenna holes. I tape sealed over the old screw holes from old antenna in roof, and a few rings on the underside of the plate. I drilled an extra hole for the cable and power for signal meter in the roof and the plate. My roof hole was big enough for antenna turn device. Oh yeah, there was NO insulation in roof gap!. You may have to make hole in roof bigger.

Miltp920
04-13-2014, 05:14 PM

2924029242After I put the plate down on roof, I added the screws from the old antenna to the plate. I tried to hit the screws into that line of tape sealant on the bottom of the plate. Then I put a tube of dicor around the plate and covered every screw. Then the inside cover. make sure you can get the knob on the post coming from Jack on roof before you drill screw cover base to ceiling. I was able to use the same cable ceiling plate over by the TV. It already had a button to push to send power to antenna. Booster button, i think it is. Lights came on the Jack signal meter by positioner cover. You can see hole the signal power line comes into bedroom from roof and connects to signal meter. All that and first test = 8 channels sitting in my driveway.

Niles
04-13-2014, 05:23 PM
I wish they would of had that mounting plate when we replaced ours. That would of helped a bunch.

Miltp920
04-13-2014, 06:03 PM
That plate was not included in the Jack box. That was $20 extra at my RV store, and I stumbled across it by luck. They had some Jacks on display, and there it was. I was just shopping for dicor.
The box had the Jack antenna, a 6 inch extension for if you have a thicker roof gap, and the white positioner with signal meter that attaches to ceiling. And instructions for new install, not replacement of existing unit.

The plate that I bought seperate had the bolts to mount Jack to plate. No screws to mount plate to roof.

I wish they would of had that mounting plate when we replaced ours. That would of helped a bunch.

TravelTiger
04-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Great mod instructions with pics! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD
08-19-2014, 03:29 AM
I replaced my Batwing with a JackTV antenna this summer . . .

Now, I just bought the antenna ($40 at Camping World) and mounted it to the Batwing mount, which came with the trailer.

I immediately picked up at least 30 more channels in my side yard than I did with the Batwing . . . now I get over 70 TV channels parked at my house!

And up in the mountains it definately picks up channels where I never got a single channel before.

Took me less than 5-minutes to switch the antennas . . .

If you have the Batwing . . . go buy the JackTV antenna and never look back!

travelin2
08-19-2014, 06:24 AM
X2. Sitting in my yard zero channels, $49 JackTV replacement all the local channels available!!

TGLBWH
08-19-2014, 08:18 AM
I too did a total replace after destroying the batwing. The Jack antenna would be a great addition as standard or upgrade on a new rig. In my driveway I am picking up channels I never could get before and from quite a distance away.

Rodbuster
08-19-2014, 01:43 PM
I too did a total replace after destroying the batwing. The Jack antenna would be a great addition as standard or upgrade on a new rig. In my driveway I am picking up channels I never could get before and from quite a distance away.

Hi, Would you be (or would somebody be) good enough to give us an example of "quite a distance away".

I'm trying to see if it's worth making a change.

Thank you
Dick

travelin2
08-19-2014, 03:50 PM
75 air miles to the Wilkes barre/Scranton PA media market to the northeast of my house. Last trip out using on air tv pulled Syracuse ny stations while parked in penn yan ny.

For20hunter
08-19-2014, 03:54 PM
I also replaced our factory bat wing antenna with the Jack antenna head on the factory arms and love the additional reception we get. What would be nice however would be to have that signal meter in the base to help zero in on the air wave signal.

Rod

hapjack
08-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Hard lesson !!! what I did is make a hook put it on the handle and hung my truck keys on it
problem solved:angel:

Gizzy
08-19-2014, 04:49 PM
I also replaced our factory bat wing antenna with the Jack antenna head on the factory arms and love the additional reception we get. What would be nice however would be to have that signal meter in the base to help zero in on the air wave signal.

Rod

I have the signal meter installed in-line at the bedroom TV so I can see it while turning the antenna. Works good for me.

TGLBWH
09-05-2014, 07:26 AM
I am south of Detroit and am receiving all detroit and toledo stations. I also was at a park recently that in the past I received only 4 stations ( others in our group also got 4 or 5 channels) and this year the number was 27

For20hunter
09-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I have the signal meter installed in-line at the bedroom TV so I can see it while turning the antenna. Works good for me.

That is exactly what I have too. The difference with that, is you first have to have a tv station that will come in, even if grainy, where with the signal meter on the bottom of the Jack Antenna on the ceiling of your coach, you just spin the Jack antenna until the signal meter registers the highest signal, then program your channels. But, I am not a good example, since I went the cheap way and just purchased the Jack antenna for my crank up arms and do not have that feature. I think it would be a cool feature, but wasn't wanting to spend the additional $100.00 at the time. Now I think I wish I would have spent the extra $. That is just MHO.

Rod

MikeR
09-05-2014, 07:41 PM
There is an App called TV Antenna Helper Free that locates TV stations on your smart phone or tablet. It shows, using Google Maps where the signals are coming from. It identifies the stations by channel number and network also identifies signals as strong, moderate, weak and very weak. Knowing where the signals are coming from helps in setting the antenna in the right direction. It works for me.

Rodbuster
09-07-2014, 07:33 AM
I tried typing different versions of "TV Antenna Helper" and my smart phone told me that there was no such app.

I figure that I must be doing something wrong, but just in case, Would you give me the "exact" name of the app to type in.

Thank you
Dick

JohnD
09-07-2014, 09:14 AM
I bought one of these at Camping World ($34 online):

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/king-surelock-digital-tv-signal-finder/68416

I have it connected to the wall plate and the TV in the livingroom of our trailer . . .

I used to spend a half hour or longer trying to find TV stations . . .

Now, it takes just a few seconds to locate the TV signals!

It comes with a 9-volt battery, but I suggest getting a good one as I only got one use out of the supplied battery.

Worth every penny!

TravelTiger
09-07-2014, 09:37 AM
I use an app for iPhone called "TV Towers". Shows a map of your location and all the tv towers around (and what affiliate ABC, FOX, etc). As you touch a tower, it shows it's broadcast area. It uses the phone's compass to help you determine a good direction to point the antenna.

Lynn1130
09-07-2014, 09:57 AM
"antenna helper" comes up on my Galaxy S4.

Silverado23
02-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Does the jack antenna replacement head work on the antennatek batwing arma or only with tje wineguard antennas as listed on king controls website? I contacted king controls, the answer I got was wineguard only but the sawadditional clues that it may work with other brands?

travelin2
02-04-2015, 01:50 PM
I replaced the batwing antenna with the jack head replacement on the existing antenna arm. 10 minute job.

Silverado23
02-04-2015, 01:56 PM
I replaced the batwing antenna with the jack head replacement on the existing antenna arm. 10 minute job.

Was you batwing antenna, an Antennatek brand?

travelin2
02-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Was you batwing antenna, an Antennatek brand?

I removed this

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/04/3251bbad071a773346ccb888aa7ac16d.jpg

For20hunter
02-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Yes, it will replace that with mods needed

JohnD
02-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Does the jack antenna replacement head work on the antennatek batwing arma or only with tje wineguard antennas as listed on king controls website? I contacted king controls, the answer I got was wineguard only but the sawadditional clues that it may work with other brands?

Yes!

I replaced my AntennaTek Batwing with the King Jack antenna in about five minutes and instantly pulled in 30 more HD channels in my side yard that I didn't get with the Batwing.

And, one campground up in the mountains that we've been going to for years that we've never ever been able to pull in one single station we now can pull in three channels with the Jack!

Amazing!

Definately worth the money for the Jack!

Best money EVER SPENT for our trailer, other than buying it in the first place!

Well . . . except maybe the new truck . . .

Sorry . . . can't figure out how to remove the photo below, although it was our first campout with the Jack Antenna . . . but enjoy anywayz!

pegmikef
02-04-2015, 07:00 PM
I think it is just as easy to replace the whole thing and it only takes a couple of hours. Nothing to crank up. Signal display in the rotation knob assembly that you replace the crank up mechanism with. Works great and the difference in cost is not significant. I bought mine from Amazon.com. Here is an excellent tutorial someone else on this forum posted. I followed it to the letter and the results are worth it. No more remembering to lower the antenna.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/blogs/driver/jack-digital-hdtv-antenna-479/

JohnD
02-04-2015, 08:42 PM
I think it is just as easy to replace the whole thing and it only takes a couple of hours. Nothing to crank up. Signal display in the rotation knob assembly that you replace the crank up mechanism with. Works great and the difference in cost is not significant. I bought mine from Amazon.com. Here is an excellent tutorial someone else on this forum posted. I followed it to the letter and the results are worth it. No more remembering to lower the antenna.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/blogs/driver/jack-digital-hdtv-antenna-479/

I thought about replacing the whole thing, and perhaps I will someday!

But just replacing the antenna was two bolts and five minutes as opposed to caulking and all of that other stuff involved with removing something from the roof of your trailer.

As for forgetting to lower the antenna, I have a luggage tag that I hang from the antenna crank to remind me that I have it cranked up.

Silverado23
02-05-2015, 12:12 AM
Yes!

I replaced my AntennaTek Batwing with the King Jack antenna in about five minutes and instantly pulled in 30 more HD channels in my side yard that I didn't get with the Batwing.

Thanks for the confirmation "from the field" that the Jack will work with the AntennaTek hardware. It looks like a simple upgrade for a low cost.

TravelTiger
02-05-2015, 01:34 AM
X3 we replaced the Antennatek head only with the Jack head. However, we had issues getting a good signal at first. We ended up having to remove the interior crank and fish out the cable, to tighten the barrel connector that connected the antenna wire to the run from the booster in the ceiling. Taped it good after tightening with rescue tape. After that, great reception!

JohnD
02-05-2015, 09:08 AM
X3 we replaced the Antennatek head only with the Jack head. However, we had issues getting a good signal at first. We ended up having to remove the interior crank and fish out the cable, to tighten the barrel connector that connected the antenna wire to the run from the booster in the ceiling. Taped it good after tightening with rescue tape. After that, great reception!

I had to do the same thing to our trailer after having my dealer try to fix it three times under warranty.

While we were up in South Dakota (just a week after it was supposedly repaired), I borrowed a ladder from the RV park and crawled up on the roof and pulled the coax up until the connections were exposed and replaced all of the fittings.

Has worked great ever since then.

Wish I had already put the Jack up there for that trip as we could only pull in three stations there . . . two of them PBS stations broadcasting the same programming!

Although I will say I learned a lot that week . . . :rolleyes:

34398 34399 34400 34401

Plus, I bought a TV signal meter ($30 at Camping World) to help find stations!

It's great . . . just turn the antenna around until the LED's light up . . . then scan!

MikeR
02-05-2015, 11:11 AM
There is an app for that. TV Antenna Helper will show you where the tv stations are located and signal strength. There are different ways the results are shown, via compass, list, etc. The app is free. I'm using it on an Android tablet, l'm sure it would also be available for Apple also.

JohnD
02-05-2015, 11:47 AM
There is an app for that. TV Antenna Helper will show you where the tv stations are located and signal strength. There are different ways the results are shown, via compass, list, etc. The app is free. I'm using it on an Android tablet, l'm sure it would also be available for Apple also.

Yup!

I have an app for that (we both have Droid Maxx smartphones) . . .

However, the signal meter I bought at Camping World is much better and worth the $30 bucks!

MikeR
02-06-2015, 03:45 PM
I'll save my $30.00 and continue to use my Free App. I've not had a problem locating OTA signals using it. I'll put the $30.00 in my beer fund.

Yup!

I have an app for that (we both have Droid Maxx smartphones) . . .

However, the signal meter I bought at Camping World is much better and worth the $30 bucks!

pday1213
02-06-2015, 05:57 PM

Rod
Could you tell me what model/part number Jack antenna you used to replace the factory installed antenna and keeping the same arma? Can this be purchased at Camping World or Amazon?

JohnD
02-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Could you tell me what model/part number Jack antenna you used to replace the factory installed antenna and keeping the same arma? Can this be purchased at Camping World or Amazon?

Here is a link to the King/Jack antenna at Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/king-digital-hdtv-antenna-replacement-head/68415

I bought mine in the store, but they matched their online website price.

porthole
02-07-2015, 09:40 AM

After installing this antenna on our trailer, with this plate. my concern is repair if it ever gets knocked off. Another object a foot over the roof line is a target.
I think the mounting plate would be a much better design if the "Jack to plate" attachment used captured studs and nuts were used from the top for the final attachment.

hamradionut
06-08-2015, 08:19 AM

Hi TravelTiger,

I to have tried to replace my antennatek head with the Jack head, however It will not work for me. I have read most all of the post here about this antenna, and have checked all my coax cables etc. I use a coax cable tester to do this with and according to it all the cables are fine. I even check the voltage up at the Jack connection and have 12.6Vdc which should be enough to power the unit. when I hook up the Jack the red led on the Jack is on but very dim. I also checked in where the crank handle is, but the hole here is only about 1.5 inches with the stim in the middle. I can see the coax up in there, but getting it out might be a problem. It also looks like it may be a single one piece run from the antenna down to the power box, but not sure.

So My question to you is do you think the coax tester I used is good enough to verify the coax it good, and there are no loose connection, because at one point I had one side of the tester loose and the tester didn't show good until I tightened up the connection. Also since I do have 12.6 Vdc at the antenna, this should be sufficient power and connection to make the Jack work.

This is my first post here, so i'll say hello to anyone else that may read and respond to it.

Hamradionut

danemayer
06-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Hi TravelTiger,

I to have tried to replace my antennatek head with the Jack head, however It will not work for me. ... Also since I do have 12.6 Vdc at the antenna, this should be sufficient power and connection to make the Jack work.

Hamradionut

This may sound silly, but take a look at the fuse box and use an ohm meter to ensure that the fuse is not blown. With the signal booster ON, you may see an illuminated LED in the fuse box. That would indicate a blown fuse, but only if there's a load on the circuit. The LED in the fuse box passes a little bit of current which is enough to light up your signal booster LED and perhaps fool your volt meter.

hamradionut
06-08-2015, 04:51 PM
This may sound silly, but take a look at the fuse box and use an ohm meter to ensure that the fuse is not blown. With the signal booster ON, you may see an illuminated LED in the fuse box. That would indicate a blown fuse, but only if there's a load on the circuit. The LED in the fuse box passes a little bit of current which is enough to light up your signal booster LED and perhaps fool your volt meter.

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the reply. I will check the fuse at the fuse box, but as I said I do have 12.6 volts up on top on the coax where the Jack antenna is mounted. I would think if I have a blown fuse, there would be no voltage there....

Ham

bobca1
08-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the link! So this replacement will work fine with my existing powered antenna power supply (Winegard batwing is what I think I have)? I like this option better than the full Jack replacement with crank and post because the extra height on the crank up gets the antenna up above the nearby AC unit.

Anyone aware of comparison done between the Jack and Winegard Rayzor?
http://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto

Wondering if the reception is any better, or are you just getting an "automatic" antenna.

Here is a link to the King/Jack antenna at Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/king-digital-hdtv-antenna-replacement-head/68415

I bought mine in the store, but they matched their online website price.

justafordguy
08-07-2015, 12:44 PM
I have the Jack replacement head and it works great with the built it power booster that came with my Gateway. Took 5 minutes to install. It picks up twice as many channels as the original batwing.