17.5" replacements for oem 16" Tires/wheels

Cjackg

In considering replacements for the oem "E" rated 16" tires on a Fifth Wheel, most owners seem to use the 215/75R17.5 size as the dimensions are very close to the oem 235/80R 16" tires which usually avoids any clearance problems with the trailer & equipment.

There is another 17.5" tire that can be used that has slightly larger dimensions, the 235/75R17.5. The Continental 235 tire has an overall height of 31.6" compared to the 215 which is 30.5" and should raise the trailer height slightly. (This data comes from the site: TrailerTiresandWheels.com that sells these tires).

The question I have is: Has anyone used the 235/75R17.5 tires (instead of 215s) on a Heartland trailer, and particularly on a Cyclone, without encountering clearance issues? Also interested to hear if anyone has used other tires that raise the trailer height somewhat.

jnbhobe

call trailer tire and wheel and see what they say

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Cjackg

I already talked to Scott at TT&W and he thinks it would work but cannot be certain, and is not sure if he has sold any 235s for install on a Cyclone.
Mostly he sells 215s for this application as they are a sure fit.

marvmarcy

Why spend more or go to a bigger tire when the 215s are way more than needed? Unless you also change axles, you won't gain more by getting bigger tires than the 215s. Just be sure the 215s are 75mph rated ; not all are. JMHO!

scottyb

I am using 32" OD tires (235/85 16's) on mine and they are very close together, even touching at times in a tight twisting maneuver. Fortunately tight maneuvering is only done at very slow speeds and I have no abnormal wear after 11K mi. You would only gain 0.55" height going to the 235's

porthole

Retired
Are the Conti's that much less then the Goodyears?
Are you looking for the 1200 pound per tire increase in capacity? Not for nothing, but that spec is something I would be suspect of.

The GY's offer 19K of load capacity total, more then you trailer will ever see.

The GY's are made in the US, the Conti's in the Czech Republic.
Unless cost was the deciding factor I would stay with a tried and true tire.

I have yet to hear from anyone say : "I sorry I bought those GY G-114's"