ATF: North Trail - Level of equipment

rodebiker

We recently ordered and have accepted delivery on a 2015 North Trail 33BKSS. We are happy with the camper, however I have a few questions about the level of equipment that has been installed in the unit. After having spent some time with the camper, we've noticed the following: There are no privacy locks on the bedroom or bathroom doors; there are no controls on the refrigerator to set the temperature, only on/off, and the DC converter doesn't have LED's to indicate when a fuse is blown, like it indicates in the manual. These are all things that I attributed to the design of the model we ordered and was content to just accept it. However, I recently took the camper in for service and while there I took the time to walk through the dealer inventory of the same and similar models of my camper and found the following: Most campers had converters with LED's on the 12v fuses; certainly those of the same "Caliber", but even some lesser equipped: Many had privacy locks on the bedroom and bathroom doors; and almost all of them had temperature controls on the refrigerator (Mine has a N611V with no controls, the ones with controls had an N611RT or N611LT (I think I have the model numbers right) which have controls, but are otherwise the same size as the one in my camper. These may be minor points but it almost seems like my camper was built "on the cheap" since it was pre-sold. I would prefer to have the same level of equip that the stock units have. Not a huge deal, but I would sure like to understand the reasoning.

Last edited:

danemayer

DC converter doesn't have LED's to indicate when a fuse is blown
On our Landmark, I don't know if the converter has LEDs to indicate when a fuse is blown. That's because it's located behind the basement wall which has to be taken down to check the fuses.

But when plugged into shore power, if I check voltage at the battery and get 13.6V, I know the converter is working.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We recently ordered and have accepted delivery on a 2015 North Trail 33BKSS. We are happy with the camper, however I have a few questions about the level of equipment that has been installed in the unit. After having spent some time with the camper, we've noticed the following: There are no privacy locks on the bedroom or bathroom doors; there are no controls on the refrigerator to set the temperature, only on/off, and the DC converter doesn't have LED's to indicate when a fuse is blown, like it indicates in the manual. These are all things that I attributed to the design of the model we ordered and was content to just accept it. However, I recently took the camper in for service and while there I took the time to walk through the dealer inventory of the same and similar models of my camper and found the following: Most campers had converters with LED's on the 12v fuses; certainly those of the same "Caliber", but even some lesser equipped: Many had privacy locks on the bedroom and bathroom doors; and almost all of them had temperature controls on the refrigerator (Mine has a N611V with no controls, the ones with controls had an N611RT or N611LT (I think I have the model numbers right) which have controls, but are otherwise the same size as the one in my camper. These may be minor points but it almost seems like my camper was built "on the cheap" since it was pre-sold. I would prefer to have the same level of equip that the stock units have. Not a huge deal, but I would sure like to understand the reasoning.

I would go to your dealer and ask them 'What's up?'!

Anyway . . . the Colorado Chapter of the Heartland Owner's Club is having a campout in two weeks in Colorado Springs . . .

Not sure if there are any spaces left, but perhaps you can stop by and introduce yourself!

I did that a couple of weeks ago at Cherry Creek where they had a spring shake out campout that we couldn't attend with our trailer . . . what a blast!

I'll be at the Colorado Springs campout . . .

Here is a link to the specifics: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...lly-CO-Colorado-Springs-5-29-2014-to-6-1-2014

Maybe we'll see 'ya there!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I wish I knew what to tell you. I feel bad for ya that you bought and took delivery of your rig before you compared it to other trailers. Maybe look into adding what you feel you are lacking yourself or ask the dealer to do it...

olcoon

As far as your fridge is concerned, the one in our Elk Ridge doesn't have any dials, etc to control the fridge temp. However on the fins inside the fridge on the right hand side there is a plastic thing, called a thermistor, you move it towards the top for cold, and towards the bottom for warmer temps.

rodebiker

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. Well it turns out I do have LED's in the converter. They are just surface mounted rather than upright like I had seen on others. The test fuse I pulled was on an inactive circuit, so I just *assumed* there was no LED. My bad :). Found some privacy locksets on Amazon that match our hardware. Just installed them this afternoon. I guess I don't *really* have to adjust the refrigerator. I just thought I should have the option. All in all, I'm still thrilled with the unit. OK..OK 90%. Just picked up from service and found out the AC unit has a bad compressor and needs to be replaced and the kitchen slide is off kilter from the factory and needs to be removed, repaired and re-installed. Not griping, but I'm just sayin....

Maybe we bought a friday afternoon camper.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
As far as your fridge is concerned, the one in our Elk Ridge doesn't have any dials, etc to control the fridge temp. However on the fins inside the fridge on the right hand side there is a plastic thing, called a thermistor, you move it towards the top for cold, and towards the bottom for warmer temps.

Our last North Trail and our current North Trail, both have fridge temp controls like this. Just slide the plastic dial up or down to adjust the temp. Works great. Once set, I hardly need to adjust except for maybe extreme temps outside.

priorguy

My 2011 has everything you describe. Notice the fine print on all brochures indicating "features and options may change without notice."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Ron,

When you say no LEDs on the converter, do you really mean on the DC fuse panel? You mentioned pulling a fuse on a circuit that turned out to be an inactive circuit - that's why I ask. Regardless, glade you found the LED lights. And if you really did mean DC fuse panel, the way those work is that if a fuse is blown on a circuit where the load was on before the fuse blew, the red LED will be lit.