LT Tires like the Landmark

SeattleLion

I noticed that the Landmark comes with LT tires. What kind are they? I don't want to start another tire war, but I would like some help here. We have the Towmax E tires that came with the Bighorn. I want to upgrade this summer to a LT tire so that we can get higher max speed. No, we don't plan to exceed 60, but I want more margin. I think a G would be better. We have 7,000 lbs axles and currently our loaded weight on the trailer axles is 11,300 lbs (CAT scale). That comes out to 2,825/tire. Theoretically most E tires would handle that, but again we want some leeway. I noticed that the Landmark LT tires are 16" and appear to fit the 6" rims. Our rims have 8 lug nuts so I think I can assume I can handle 120psi tire pressure.

What can I get?

danemayer

Landmarks ship standard with Goodyear G614 tires. They're certified at LT, but are specifically designed for trailer applications and Goodyear marketing positions them as trailer tires intended for regional trailer towing. The max cold inflation is 110psi and must be matched by a wheel that is rated for 110psi. Look under the trailer to see if the inside surface of the wheel is stamped for 110psi or 3750 lbs.

Landmark also now has an option for a load range H tire; Goodyear G114 on 17.5" wheels.

Jim.Allison

I noticed that the Landmark comes with LT tires. What kind are they? I don't want to start another tire war, but I would like some help here. We have the Towmax E tires that came with the Bighorn. I want to upgrade this summer to a LT tire so that we can get higher max speed. No, we don't plan to exceed 60, but I want more margin. I think a G would be better. We have 7,000 lbs axles and currently our loaded weight on the trailer axles is 11,300 lbs (CAT scale). That comes out to 2,825/tire. Theoretically most E tires would handle that, but again we want some leeway. I noticed that the Landmark LT tires are 16" and appear to fit the 6" rims. Our rims have 8 lug nuts so I think I can assume I can handle 120psi tire pressure.

What can I get?

My Big Country came with the 16 inch TowMax, maximum inflation 80 PSI. The G614 tire is only offered in a 16 inch and achieves its MAX load at 110 psi. My 8 lug on 6.5 inch bolt circle rim had the 110 psi max casted in the back. If you can run the ST 16 from Towmax you can run the G614 Tire on the same rim, but you must first check the PSI rating of the rim. It is not likely that your rim is much different than mine in that it will hold the 110 PSI. After I lost my first Towmax on my brand new BC at 1600 miles, I went the extra mile and bought 17.5 inch rims and installed the G114.

Jim.Allison

If you want to eliminate your Towmax tire problems, either install g614 on current 16 inch rim/wheels (check rims for 110 psi compatibility) or buy 17.5 in rims and install g114's rated at 75 MPH. After doing this you will never worry about the LT v. ST debate again. If you have ST tires sell them to your landscaper for his utility trailer, they do not belong on 5th wheel. Someday DOT or NTSB will deal with this issue but until then, people must be warned to educate themselves about what an ST tire is. And while it is true, that there is a lot of tension on this subject, the horror stories about brand new towmax's blowing out are everywhere and for everyone of those people (on this forum) that are trying to warn people about the problem, there is a guy that has run a million miles on one set and he is so happy with them he just bought another set. But it is all in the math. 1) eliminate ST as a candidate for a tire 2) 65 MPH is the least you will accept in speed range (higher if you want) 3) match rims and tires for load and pressure required for your rig. The G614 will be the only 16 inch tire that will qualify, Then in the 17.5 inch the g114 and and several others will qualify. The goodyear has a 75 MPH rating. There are no other choices. If there is I wish someone would tell me so that I can pass it along. BTW, my "china bomb" exploded at 1800 miles on a brand new 2014 BC, the damage was $2000, time in the shop 30+ days, one lost camping weekend, looking at the damage on the side of my trailer instead of enjoying myself. What's it worth to you?