My first Blowmax blowout: photo

wkcox

Photo says it all. I have Road Warrior 415, less than 2 years old. Took time checking over camper prior to 3 hour trip to park. 80 psi. Explosion of the tire took off the fender, but, thankfully, slideout mechanism is okay. Will be getting six new tires when I return home. Reading this forum with great interest. Any chance of LT tires but keeping the aluminum 6" tires and outside diameter same?

Attachments

• IMG_2172.jpg
    IMG_2172.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 507

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You have wheels that will handle a 110psi tire, so Goodyear G614 might he a good option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdamude

Photo says it all. I have Road Warrior 415, less than 2 years old. Took time checking over camper prior to 3 hour trip to park. 80 psi. Explosion of the tire took off the fender, but, thankfully, slideout mechanism is okay. Will be getting six new tires when I return home. Reading this forum with great interest. Any chance of LT tires but keeping the aluminum 6" tires and outside diameter same?

You were very fortunate that you sustained minimal damage.

scottyb

Very fortunate indeed. Be very careful. It seems that many who have suffered blowouts with these tires have suffered a blowout on an adjacent tire in relatively short order. I would creep my way home as lightly as possible.

Jim.Allison

Suggestion for you:

Go get an estimate, should be 1500 to $2000. I had damage to my rim so mine was close to $2000. Make the repairs yourself. File claim with TowMax, you will get about $125 out of it. Then go here http://www.trailer-wheels.com/Wheel-Tire-Package_c_285.html and buy 5 HiSpec 17.5 inch Mod 03 wheels and 5 G114 mounted and balanced. Problem solved for the life of your trailer. or perhaps two trailers. BTW keep you old tires and rims because you will never wear out these tires and you won't want to give them up if you trade or sell.

jdamude

Suggestion for you:

Go get an estimate, should be 1500 to $2000. I had damage to my rim so mine was close to $2000. Make the repairs yourself. File claim with TowMax, you will get about $125 out of it. Then go here http://www.trailer-wheels.com/Wheel-Tire-Package_c_285.html and buy 5 HiSpec 17.5 inch Mod 03 wheels and 5 G114 mounted and balanced. Problem solved for the life of your trailer. or perhaps two trailers. BTW keep you old tires and rims because you will never wear out these tires and you won't want to give them up if you trade or sell.

Jim, I just put Goodyear G614 tires on my Big Country. I'm very interested in the 17.5" rims and tires. Does Goodyear supply a tire for this rim? What was your total investment on the upgrade?

jnbhobe

Jim, I just put Goodyear G614 tires on my Big Country. I'm very interested in the 17.5" rims and tires. Does Goodyear supply a tire for this rim? What was your total investment on the upgrade?

The 17.5 tire is the GY G-114

Jim.Allison

If your wheels matched 3750 at 110 PSI, which they probably did then your G614 are good to go. This is the minimum tire in my opinion. It is the best you can buy for the 16 in wheel. Other will say different. But, you can accomplish 2 objectives if you go to 17.5 in wheels. 1) you can put a G114 Goodyear and have a true trailer tire with a 75 MPH rating, I dont run that fast but I like the safety factor. ( the 17.5 inch wheel opens up the number of tires and brands available to you as well)

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/tires/details.aspx?prodline=160807

This tire in the 215/75R 17.5, is overkill, but its the tire. 3/4 inch of tread, regroovable another 1/2 inch and a retreadable carcass. If you care for this tire, you will never need another tire for your fiver. Of course it is always possible to ruin this tire or lose one because of a defect. But it is not likely

This Wheel;

http://www.hispecwheel.com/products/765/Series-03

2) Eliminates wheel separation. Once torqued, does not need re-torquing. However do not be disappointed that it is manufactured in China. But I own a set and it is a serious wheel.

I ordered 5 mounted tires. I forgot to get them balanced and I spent around 3300 bucks for the 5, mounted, and delivered. Expensive? I don't know, but I sure felt good pulling my fiver on my recent trip. Tires were no longer an issue. I did not have to raise my eyebrow and wonder if my trailer tire was squashed out because it was a radial or because something was wrong. The tires sit up tall and proud. When I backed it up or made a tight turn they stayed firm instead of looking like they were going to roll of the wheel at any moment. They did flex and roll a little though but nothing compared to 16 inch ST's. I have never used the G614's but I would think that at 110 lbs they are much like the 114's except the load for the 114s are 1000 lbs more than the 614's.

If you choose to do this, order them mounted and balanced. I forgot to balance mine and had to balance them locally. I could have saved a few bucks.

It was really funny when that FedEx guy pulled up and started off loading them. He said that they were serious tires and he had been dealing with them all day cause they loaded the truck wrong. Well I have to say he was very professional. He rolled them back to my garage 2 at a time as if he had worked in a tire shop all his life. He stacked them up and I have to hand it to him he was good.

wkcox

thanks for the great information and links. For my triple axle camper, the spacing between the wheels is tight. For the 17.5" wheels and G114 215/75/17.5 tires is the outside diameter the same as the stock blomax tires?

Jim.Allison

Mine were dadgum close to being the same. But the 114 stands tall and proud so you wont have squatty radials anymore so you might be an inch taller. You can call the links I gave you they are very helpful and they can fill you in.

Which BlowMAx are you running, I will look up the diameters for you.

Also how much does your rig weigh FULLY loaded? and how many bolt holes are you running? My guess is 8.

thanks for the great information and links. For my triple axle camper, the spacing between the wheels is tight. For the 17.5" wheels and G114 215/75/17.5 tires is the outside diameter the same as the stock blomax tires?

jnbhobe

thanks for the great information and links. For my triple axle camper, the spacing between the wheels is tight. For the 17.5" wheels and G114 215/75/17.5 tires is the outside diameter the same as the stock blomax tires?[/QUOT

I think they are a bit smaller, check the specs.

wkcox

Thanks, Jim, for the info and links. I'm at work now, so I don't have time to research the websites, but I will. The current Blomax tires are 235/80/16. The Road Warrior 415 is 18,000 pounds dry. I have about 20 gallons of gas in the tank, and probably about 20 gallons of water. Only light load of bicycles, camp chairs in the garage. Black and grey tanks will be dumped. Appreciate all of the help.

scottyb

Your wheels look identical to mine. I could find no stamp for the PSI rating, F or B, w/o removing a tire. They are T07-8 spoke and can be found on Treadit's website. They offer it in a 8-bolt and a 6-bolt and the 8-6.5 is 3750. Treadit confirmed that they are 110 PSI rated through email. However, you should confirm this for yourself.

texasron

We had less than 200 miles on our Factory tires when we had our first BLOWOUT, I changed the blowout out with spare drove less than 50 miles and blew out another tire, called good Sam's I had additional tire coverage where they pay up to $350.00 per tire, they said I wasn't covered for BLOWOUTS, I also HAD !! Good Sam's Extended warranty on the RV, when I got home I called the cancel the tire policy through Good Sam's why have it I thought, I was told that I couldn't cancel just the tire policy even though it is a separate policy, the only way I could cancel it was to cancel the entire Extended warranty policy, I felt Good Sam's was trying to hold me hostage by not only saying I wasn't covered for the blow outs but now not letting me cancel. I just told them to cancel everything. As far as the damages to the RV I had damage on both fender skirts and one aluminum skirt. I have a $250.00 deductible with GMAC, I didn't turn the damage in I ordered the new replacement parts through Hartland, surprisingly the parts were not that much actually the shipping were more than the parts.

Jim.Allison

http://www.towmaxtires.com/tires/Landing.aspx?application=towmax-product-line

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

This link gives the data for all truck and trailer tires The G-614 is listed as well as the G-114. The G114 has 2 specs, I don't know why this is but I bought the G-114 215/75R 17.5

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/tires/details.aspx?prodline=160807

Your TowMax is 30.8 inches dia.
Your Goodyear G614 is 30.7 inches dia
The Goodyear G114 is 30.5 inches in dia.

The wheel Assembly (tire and wheel)
For me the offset of the rim and the width of the tire considered resulted in a 5/8 wider tire. Its relationship to the center of the old assembly and the new assembly very simply split the width and pushed the inside plane 5/16 of an inch closer to the 5th wheel frame assembly and components (a little over 1/4 of an inch), and the same for the outside. I don't think any rig is starving for 5/16 of an inch clearance in any direction.

As you can see by the dimensions of the tires (see tire specs in the links) the G114 and the G614 are the same as or smaller than your original TowMax. When I installed mine, I could not tell the difference by looking at them side by side. I will tell you that the 114 stands tall and proud and does not squash out like the towmax radial. So you will probably gain an inch in height. But you are already running the 614 so you probably won't see a difference from that tire.

Good luck

BTW, I'm retired so looking this up for you is just plane fun!!!!! I have to say that this heartland tire problem is the most disappointing aspect of my Big Country. If it were not for the tires everything else would just be what I call "mickey mouse" issues hardly worth burning fuel to have repaired, and just more fun to fix myself rather than have a repair not performed correctly the first time.

dave10a

I have been paying particular attention to tire issues, and I need some additional information. What speeds do you normally travel, ambient temperature and normal trailer weight. If you could supply this information, I would be most appreciative. Thanks

BTY I have G614's that have near 20k miles that are getting less tread and I will be buying replacements next year-- that is why I am interesting experiences and data from the folks. Price is no object for me, but safety is...

TXTiger

Check out the Mitchlin XPS Ribs. You can use your existing wheels and 80 psi is a lot easier to maintain at a gas station than 110 psi

Jim.Allison

The G614 has thin tread by design 12/32 new, for less friction. Be sure to look up the specs on that tire before you discard them. I have provided the link to the specs for that tire. And the 614 is a "retreadable" tire as because it is on a PREMIUM carcass. All you have to do is find a good year authorized retread center, most major cities have one or more. You own the carcass of a fine tire, you might as well put some more rubber on it. If you have concerns about industrial tire retreads do a youtube search and learn how they do it, you might come away with a different feeling these are not your grandpas automotive retreads.

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/tires/details.aspx?prodline=160007

Youtube video for a modern retread facility. These facilities will retread your tire and give you back your same tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2_NYEvNrw0

I have never done this but I know people who have and tehy have had good service from the tire, your 614 carcass's have probably never been damaged and are more than suitable for retread.

But most importantly you need to take a measurement with a cheap tread depth gauge and see how much of the original 12/32 tread you have used and I bet that you have not used that much in 20,000 miles. Your tires are OTR tires and have much more life than 20k.

Just trying to save you some money and prevent you from discarding your premium tires for something less. If you gotta buy new, get you another set of 614's

To answer your question, it is my opinion that you should never run your rig faster than 65. The 614 is a 75 mph tire.

If you were to travel across Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada, you could see ambients at the road surface of 140 degrees F. The desert floor is very hot. The 614 is handy here in that its thin tread design helps reduce friction so internal heat does not add to the problem.

On a recent trip my G114 were running about 110 but it was not too terribly hot, the ambient was about 93. I really do not know how accurate a TPMS temperature reading is. I just use it as a relative reading but I'm sure the pressures are accurate.

Good luck

I have been paying particular attention to tire issues, and I need some additional information. What speeds do you normally travel, ambient temperature and normal trailer weight. If you could supply this information, I would be most appreciative. Thanks

BTY I have G614's that have near 20k miles that are getting less tread and I will be buying replacements next year-- that is why I am interesting experiences and data from the folks. Price is no object for me, but safety is...