PDA

View Full Version : EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: VA, Williamsburg - 12/5/2014 to 12/9/2014

Flying Dutchman
09-24-2014, 12:16 PM
146 Maxton Lane, Williamsburg, VA 23188

Venue:
------------------------------

American Heritage RV Park
146 Maxton Lane
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Toll Free: 1-888-530-2267 | Local: 757-566-2133
http://www.americanheritagervpark.com/home.html
Pets ok?: Yes
Pet Fee: $
WiFi available: Yes
WiFi Fee: : Wi-Fi. High Speed Internet and Cable w/ 45+ channels at each site

Details:

Number of sites held: 20+
Site fee: Site Special - Stay 3 Nights/4th Night Free (Dec-March) $135.75. This is way better than normal $45.25 per night.
Club Member Event fee:
Non-Club Member fee: $20
Potluck: Yes
Potluck date: 12/6/2014
Potluck time: 6:00pm

Event Leader: Flying Dutchman(click to contact) (//heartlandowners.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=4524)

Additional Info:
Join us for a fun filled weekend in Williamsburg, VA. We plan on participating in the activities for the Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illumination held Sunday, 7 December. http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/plan/calendar/hol-grand-illumination/.
A detailed agenda will follow, but we will plan for a pot-luck dinner, a pot-luck breakfast, and a dutch treat lunch or dinner at Sal's by Victor Italian restaurant.
We also encourage to register with American Heritage RV Park and take advantage of their winter site special for $135.75, staying for 4 nights. You could do this Thursday to Monday, or, Friday to Tuesday.
Plan on cold nights and cool days so dress appropriately for outside activities at Colonial Williamsburg. We have enjoyed excellent fall weather the past several years.

Attendees:

van Opstal
Flying Dutchman

12/4-12/8

Funderburg
boatto5er

12/4-12/8

Talley
MCTalley

12/4-12/9

Sorrell
FiremanBill

-------

Pike
thanatos

12/5-12/9

Scheibert
vakthund

12/4-12/8

Fox
foxfmly

12/5-12/8

Massengill
andy
12/4-12/8

Barnett
JJnVA
daily

Hill

12/4-12/8

Latham

camperjohn08

daily

Williamsburg Rally Agenda:

12/4 Thursday
Arrivals

Dinner out: Time to be announced Plan a dinner at Sal’s by Victor Restaurant (Dutch treat). Let us know if you have another favorite restaurant that can be considered instead.

12/5 Friday

Breakfast 9:00am Pancake breakfast at the Barnett’s residence (close to the campground, directions will be given). The Barnett’s will furnish “pancakes, coffee, plates, utensils, cups, etc. If each couple could bring a side dish or juice, the breakfast would be complete. If needed, my microwave or stove-oven can be used. No need for anyone to bring serving spoons, just the food item”.

Day activities on your own to enjoy the area or visit with friends. Flight demonstrations by Bill Sorrell.

Dinner: 4:00pm The worlds best pizza prepared by our very own Viking! Bring a side or an appetizer to accompany pizza, and your drink.

12/6 Saturday

Breakfast 9:00am Club will provide the bacon and eggs, and coffee. Breakfast preparations assisted by our Viking. You may bring a favorite side, juice, etc.

Day activities on your own to enjoy the area or visit with friends. Flight demonstrations by Bill Sorrell.

Dinner: 6:00pm Potluck. Bring your favorite dish to share and a small dessert. Bring your beverage.

12/7 Sunday

Breakfast: 9:00am Coffee and pastries provided by the Club.

Day activities on your own to enjoy the area or visit with friends

If you are planning to go to Colonial Williamsburg, you are advised to go early as parking can be challenging. Also consider ride sharing.

Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illumination
Time 4:45 pm – 7:30 pm

Live Entertainment begins at 5 p.m., Fireworks at 7 p.m.

In the 18th century, illuminations, which included the firing of guns and lighting of fireworks, were held to celebrate major events, such as great military victories, the anniversary of the reigning sovereign's birth, or the arrival of a new colonial governor. Join Colonial Williamsburg for this special day by strolling the Revolutionary City and viewing all the unique decorations. Enjoy musical performances from multiple stages and delight in the fireworks displays from three different locations.

12/8 Monday
Departures

Notes:

All joint meals at campground will be in the Heritage Room or Colonial Room, unless further advised.
Bring your own beverage to meals
Club provides paper plates, plastic utensil, and paper napkins.
Club will provide coffee in the morning, Friday – Sunday

boatto5er
09-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi Eric,

Debra and I plan to be there. Will make reservation in the next couple of days after I get exact dates verified. Looks like we'll arrive Thursday evening and depart Monday.

VKTalley
09-29-2014, 07:45 PM
The Traveling Talleys are seeing if we can work this one into our schedule between work weeks and time off weeks. Should know soon!

NWILSON
09-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Anybody for a trial run? We are heading that way in about 10 days!

boatto5er
09-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Our reservations are made. Arrive Dec 4. Depart Dec 8.

FiremanBill
09-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Gosh it's been a long time since I've been on here.

Got an email from Eric about this so we are in! Will make reservations today.

Flying Dutchman
09-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Fantastic! Our founding chapter leaders, Gus and Debra, are coming. It will also be great having Val and Malcolm with us, it has been a while. And sure glad I reached out to Bill and Kelly, it has been way too long since we have seen you. Will you be bringing your airplane hanger with you? Sure was fun last time.

FiremanBill
09-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Fantastic! Our founding chapter leaders, Gus and Debra, are coming. It will also be great having Val and Malcolm with us, it has been a while. And sure glad I reached out to Bill and Kelly, it has been way too long since we have seen you. Will you be bringing your airplane hanger with you? Sure was fun last time.

I will have to bring a few of them for sure!

tracks
10-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Eric, I have made our reservation arriving December 4th., departing the 8th, site unknown. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Flying Dutchman
10-01-2014, 07:45 PM
That is great Kirk, be good to see you and Cathy again (and Joy too).

thanatos
10-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Just made reservations for Nancy and me. We'll be pulling in on the 5th and leaving the 9th. Looking forward to it.

boatto5er
10-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Great Jim. Be good to see you and Nancy again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VKTalley
10-17-2014, 12:14 PM
HI Dorothy and Eric! The Traveling Talleys will be arriving in Williamsburg, VA, on Thursday, December 4th, and leaving on Tuesday, December 9th. Looking forward to a great time in Williamsburg!
BTW, the Sunday of the rally is December 7th, not December 8th as listed in your information in post 1. :)

vakthund
10-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Reservation made for late arrival Thursday staying through Monday.

boatto5er
10-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Wha-Hoo, the Vikings and the Traveling Talleys are coming. Should be a fun weekend.

Flying Dutchman
10-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Wow!! Schiebert's, Pike's, and Talley's are coming!! Looks like we are assembling the "A" team. Be good to see y'all again.

vakthund
10-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Will make reservations today.
Bringing planes?

FiremanBill
10-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Bringing planes?

Of course! I wish there was enough room up there to fly this one but it's just not feasible. I have had it up to 130mph so far.

vakthund
10-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Of course! I wish there was enough room up there to fly this one but it's just not feasible. I have had it up to 130mph so far.
I'd like to see that!! My Cessna 172 doesn't move that fast.

FiremanBill
10-28-2014, 07:53 PM
I'd like to see that!! My Cessna 172 doesn't move that fast.

I've got them that go faster than that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moTaGoGLIAo

FiremanBill
10-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Here is the Shoestring from an event we went to back in April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_jN8mhYZMM

boatto5er
10-29-2014, 10:30 AM
I think a "Scheduled" flying demo is in order!

FiremanBill
10-29-2014, 11:59 AM
I think a "Scheduled" flying demo is in order!

Well if there is enough interest I will certainly be more than happy to do that. I can bring some of my bigger planes for show and tell and fly the smaller stuff.

boatto5er
10-29-2014, 05:59 PM
If I press the "Like" button 5 times will that be enough interest?[emoji1] Oh wait a minute, I'm not on Facebook am I?

FiremanBill
10-29-2014, 06:17 PM
I will gladly bring them and will do some flying for sure, 1 is enough interest for me!

VKTalley
10-29-2014, 07:41 PM
I will gladly bring them and will do some flying for sure, 1 is enough interest for me!

Bill, Malcolm (MCT) might also be interested. 😊

vakthund
10-29-2014, 08:29 PM
Well if there is enough interest I will certainly be more than happy to do that. I can bring some of my bigger planes for show and tell and fly the smaller stuff.
Interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest,interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest.

And I'll donate beer for a night flight!

FiremanBill
10-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest,interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest, interest.

And I'll donate beer for a night flight!

You got it! Night flying is the best!

tracks
11-13-2014, 05:49 PM
Eric, I have been informed of staff meeting the week of the Williamsburg Rally, so Cathy and I will have cancel. I hope everyone has a great time. We’ll catch y’all the next time.

Flying Dutchman
11-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Eric, I have been informed of staff meeting the week of the Williamsburg Rally, so Cathy and I will have cancel. I hope everyone has a great time. We’ll catch y’all the next time.

We will miss you both! I just hate it when work gets in the way of camping fun. Stay well, have a great Thanksgiving and Christmas, and we hope you catch up with us in 2015.

foxfmly
11-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Greetings all, happy to say that Steve & Donna are coming to our first Rally. We have been members for 4 years and this is the first time we have been able to work the schedule out to attend. Really looking forward to it. We won't be able to arrive until Friday, late afternoon or early evening but we'll be there.

boatto5er
11-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Greetings all, happy to say that Steve & Donna are coming to our first Rally. We have been members for 4 years and this is the first time we have been able to work the schedule out to attend. Really looking forward to it. We won't be able to arrive until Friday, late afternoon or early evening but we'll be there.

Glad you can make it!

Flying Dutchman
11-23-2014, 10:43 PM

Steve and Donna, that is fantastic! Looking forward to sharing your first rally, let me know if you have any questions.

Flying Dutchman
11-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Well, rally time is approaching fast! The agenda has been posted on the first page, and the present long range weather forecast is looking very good. The weekend looks dry with daytime temperatures in the 50's and nights down to 40 degrees.

For those considering on joining us, the campground has sites available. Join us for a fun filled rally. This is a great way to start your Christmas holiday season.

boatto5er
11-28-2014, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a great time. Looking forward to it.

VKTalley
11-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Looks like lots of fun!!! Eric and Dorothy, I responded to you PM. See ya on Thursday!

klindgren
11-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Sure wish I could join you. Unfortunately my North Pole duties will not allow Mrs. Claus to be there. Enjoy and just know we are with you in spirit!

Flying Dutchman
12-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Sure wish I could join you. Unfortunately my North Pole duties will not allow Mrs. Claus to be there. Enjoy and just know we are with you in spirit!

That's OK Santa, just know that you will be missed but we know how important your work is. By the way, have I told you that I have been a very good boy this year? :angel:I have mailed you my Christmas list of things I would really like to get. I hope that you will get plenty of rest after Christmas so that you and Mrs. Clause can join our rally in Temperanceville, VA, next May. Please say "Hi" to Rudolph and the other reindeer for me.

klindgren
12-02-2014, 02:12 PM
That's OK Santa, just know that you will be missed but we know how important your work is. By the way, have I told you that I have been a very good boy this year? :angel:I have mailed you my Christmas list of things I would really like to get. I hope that you will get plenty of rest after Christmas so that you and Mrs. Clause can join our rally in Temperanceville, VA, next May. Please say "Hi" to Rudolph and the other reindeer for me.

You know, your interpretation of "good boy" and Santa's is a WHOLE lot different.

Not to worry about Temperanceville. I've already made my reservations (if you remember correctly, we had to wait until Dec. 1st). In fact, according to the lady there at Tall Pines, I am the first one to register. Sooooooo, you'd better get your registration in if you want to join me!!:D:cool::cool:

Rudolph says Hi and he was worried about missing you this Christmas, but I assured him we had to stop at your house for Dorothy. Now there's the :angel: in that family!

boatto5er
12-02-2014, 04:42 PM
You know, your interpretation of "good boy" and Santa's is a WHOLE lot different.

Not to worry about Temperanceville. I've already made my reservations (if you remember correctly, we had to wait until Dec. 1st). In fact, according to the lady there at Tall Pines, I am the first one to register. Sooooooo, you'd better get your registration in if you want to join me!!:D:cool::cool:

Rudolph says Hi and he was worried about missing you this Christmas, but I assured him we had to stop at your house for Dorothy. Now there's the :angel: in that family!

LMAO!!!!! :rolleyes:

Flying Dutchman
12-02-2014, 08:59 PM

I'm speechless. Now I will have to work double hard and get back on Santa's "good" list.

At least Rudolph was concerned about missing me, it sure helps to know reindeer in high places.:rolleyes:

VKTalley
12-03-2014, 09:47 PM

Mr. Santa, we will definitely miss seeing you and Mrs. Claus! The Traveling Talleys are on their way there with expected arrival Thursday, early afternoon! Eric and Dorothy, do we have an official time for dinner tomorrow nigth?

Flying Dutchman
12-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Mr. Santa, we will definitely miss seeing you and Mrs. Claus! The Traveling Talleys are on their way there with expected arrival Thursday, early afternoon! Eric and Dorothy, do we have an official time for dinner tomorrow nigth?

Hi Valerie, hope your trip to American Heritage RV Park is uneventful. We should also arrive early afternoon, guessing between 1 and 2pm. Nothing firm on dinner time other than somewhere around 5 - 6:00pm. We will see who has checked in and wants to go out to dinner.

VKTalley
12-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Hi Valerie, hope your trip to American Heritage RV Park is uneventful. We should also arrive early afternoon, guessing between 1 and 2pm. Nothing firm on dinner time other than somewhere around 5 - 6:00pm. We will see who has checked in and wants to go out to dinner.

Sounds good! So far the trip has been great...Thanksgiving with my airman son and a visit with Becky and her family of Crowded Camper fame.

FiremanBill
12-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Today is going by way too slow! Going to hook up to the Clone about 3pm and head up that way, should arrive no later than 4:30.

Flying Dutchman
12-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Have a safe trip Bill, we'll be waiting for you.

vakthund
12-05-2014, 01:00 AM
Finally here and setup. Think we might miss breakfast in the morning.

VKTalley
12-05-2014, 06:31 AM

Glad you are here safe! Breakfast is at 9a, leaving the campground at 8:50a or so.

boatto5er
12-05-2014, 06:57 AM

Tight fit for that big rig. Be glad to see y'all again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Flying Dutchman
12-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Glad the Vikings made it! Welcome neighbor, you must have been in stealth mode as I slept right through your arrival. If you are up to it, we'll head over to the Barnett's just before 9:00am, I will give you directions. It is a very short ride.

Flying Dutchman
12-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Had a nice dinner starting the Williamsburg rally. Weather is typical Virginia late fall, a little rain, cooler temps, hopefully some sun, but a warm and festive group. 33414

thanatos
12-05-2014, 08:12 AM
Sounds like everyone is having fun. Nancy and I will hopefully be arriving around 2 this afternoon.

boatto5er
12-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Another great evening of food and camaraderie with our Heartland friends. Great pizza from the Vikings grill. Thanks Erik and Rebecca!

Flying Dutchman
12-05-2014, 08:49 PM

Had a fantastic start to day #2 with a breakfast hosted by Judi and Jack in their beautiful home. Then topped off with another meal in the evening with pizza's made by our own Viking, Erik, using charcoal and a huge cast iron dutch oven. Shown above is Erik supervising his beautiful and talented daughter, Sarah, putting together another unique and tasty pizza. We are having a great time making memories with our Heartland family. More on the rally schedule for tomorrow. Forecast is for some rain but the fun will continue regardless.

FiremanBill
12-05-2014, 09:18 PM
We made a trip down to Duck Donuts and picked up some goodies for breakfast.

jbeletti
12-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Are those doughnuts with bacon sprinkles?

boatto5er
12-06-2014, 06:44 AM

Had a fantastic start to day #2 with a breakfast hosted by Judi and Jack in their beautiful home. Then topped off with another meal in the evening with pizza's made by our own Viking, Erik, using charcoal and a huge cast iron dutch oven. Shown above is Erik supervising his beautiful and talented daughter, Sarah, putting together another unique and tasty pizza. We are having a great time making memories with our Heartland family. More on the rally schedule for tomorrow. Forecast is for some rain but the fun will continue regardless.

Terrific breakfast and pizza and side salads were fantastic. Who knew you could put Brussels sprouts on pizza? I loved it! And the jalapeņo sausage had the perfect, just warm enough, kick.

boatto5er
12-06-2014, 06:45 AM

Hmmm, I'm not sure, but I hope to find out this morning!

VKTalley
12-06-2014, 10:55 AM

Yes, Jim, those donuts have bacon on them. Not sure how they asked as I have to avoid pork and beef. Hopefully someone else can tell you how they tasted.

FiremanBill
12-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Yeah Jim, maple frosting with bacon sprinkles on them. Pretty dang good!

We had to taste test a few of them before we ordered them last night, and then of course I had to re test them this morning to make sure they were ok to take to the breakfast.

Check out the bakery and the next door neighbor. God Bless America!

boatto5er
12-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Great rally Eric and Dorothy! We may have been small in numbers, but the potlucks were delicious, food plentiful, and the comraderie was excellent. Nice meeting new attendees, Fox's, Talleys, and Millers, and nice seeing Van Opstals, Scheiberts, Lathams, Sorrells, Pikes, and Barnetts again. (Hope I didn't leave anyone out!) Needed to get home so we pulled out around 3:00 and were home by 5:30 this afternoon. Sadly, will winterize tomorrow morning.

Flying Dutchman
12-07-2014, 09:33 PM

How fast time flies when you are having fun! The rally is over, and all that is left now is the memories. We had a ball; good location, good food, all shared with fantastic company. Dorothy and I ended the day with a few brave Heartlanders celebrating in Colonial Williamsburg the Grand Illumination. It was crowded and it was bone chilling cold, but oh, ... so worth it. Two hours of entertainment ending with a rousing eye popping fireworks display.

To all that attended, thank you for a wonderful rally. To those whom have already departed, glad to hear your safe arrival home. And to those leaving in the next day or so, have a safe and uneventful trip. Hope to see you all at our next rally in Temperanceville next May.

VKTalley
12-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Thank you, Eric and Dorothy, for a great rally and a warm Virginia chapter welcome. Sorry that I couldn't handle to cold air tonight to see the fireworks but I had an awesome time with everyone! Here's my one picture from tonight right as the stars were starting to come out.

FiremanBill
12-08-2014, 12:33 PM
We had a blast once again. Sure wish we could have stayed another night but that work thing just keeps getting in the way. Getting up at 0500 to head to the station this morning sure was hard.

Look forward to doing again soon with all of you, unfortunately next May is out due to our daughters college graduation but we look forward to another time.

JJnVA
12-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks for coordinating a fun rally, Eric & Dorothy! Glad Jack and I were able to participate even tho we didn't have our BH at the campground. It was great having everyone in our Williamsburg home to enjoy a meal and social time together on Friday! You know where to find us next time you are in the Burg....if we are not roaming the countryside in our BH home!!

Wishes to everyone for a warm, safe and beautiful holiday season. C y'all down the road!

thanatos
12-13-2014, 06:36 PM
It was a nice outing, and one more thank you for Eric and Dorothy. I took some photos of the fireworks and published them on my flickr account you can follow the link to view them (I hope). www.flickr.com/photos/109016207@N03

boatto5er
12-13-2014, 07:56 PM
It was a nice outing, and one more thank you for Eric and Dorothy. I took some photos of the fireworks and published them on my flickr account you can follow the link to view them (I hope). www.flickr.com/photos/109016207@N03 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/109016207@N03)

Wow, nice photos!

Flying Dutchman
12-13-2014, 09:03 PM
It was a nice outing, and one more thank you for Eric and Dorothy. I took some photos of the fireworks and published them on my flickr account you can follow the link to view them (I hope). www.flickr.com/photos/109016207@N03 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/109016207@N03)

Great photos Jim, that was some fireworks display. It was so nice to have you and Nancy with us again, hope to see you next year again.

VKTalley
12-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Great pictures, Jim!! Thank you for sharing them.