Replace Lousy Ventadome Bathroom Vent Fan

Jhuff8181

I want to replace the cheap bathroom vent that came with my 3650BH. I can't understand why this is used by Heartland. Can I replace it with a Heng's Vortex Upgrade Kit from the inside?

pegmikef

Yes. I installed the three speed in my North Trail, but in my BH installed the reversible multi-speed one. Both worked great and take about ten minutes to install.

Jhuff8181

Here's the issue. The Ventadome seems to be one piece. The cover opens with a handle not a crank. It is the E-Z Lift Ventadome. [h=2][/h]

B

BouseBill

This is a project I've been wondering about myself. Would like to replace "el cheapo" with a powered unit. One that has controls so that a height challenged wife would not have to STAND ON THE TOILET to open the cover and turn on the fan :rolleyes:
HEARTLAND! not everyone is six feet tall LOL

marvmarcy

My Landmark came with those cheapie little fans in both the bath and bedroom but a three speed Fantastic Vent Fan in the kitchen on a thermostat. The kitchen fan was too high to manually adjust anything unless I got on a chair. I ordered two Fantastic Vent Fans with remote controls. I installed one in the bedroom - handy to not have to get up from bed to work any aspect of the fan. I removed the old kitchen fan and rewired it for easier bath use and installed it in the bathroom. I installed the other new remote control fan in the kitchen - no more climbing on a chair to adjust anything. The two remote controls have different codes so they don't control the wrong fan. I also installed a remote controller on the living room ceiling fan.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Heng Vortex fans will replace any standard size vent fan. Typically, there are four screws holding the inner trim section to the ceiling. Remove it and set it aside since you will reuse it. Other than that, it's just a matter of removing the old fan electrical parts and inserting the Heng. The Heng crank knob replaces the crank handle for raising the outer lis. All work is done from the inside. I've replaced the bathroom and bedroom fans with the Hengs. The one in the bedroom is multi-speed and reversible. A simple DIY job.

My wife is 5'2" and doesn't have trouble operating them. The Fantastic Fan in the kitchen is set to a moderate speed and we operate it via the thermostat (older, no remote).

pegmikef

Here's the issue. The Ventadome seems to be one piece. The cover opens with a handle not a crank. It is the E-Z Lift Ventadome.

Yeah, now I don't think it would be a direct replacement. I had assumed a standard vent opening, but I looked up a couple of the ventadomes and you're right, they appear to be one piece that is installed from the roof side.

JohnDar

I just looked up that particular vent, too. Sorry, the Hengs that I've installed won't work with that thing. Problem appears to be with that goofy lift mechanism. Can't tell from the pictures if it could be replaced with a standard crank mechanism (available online).

Jhuff8181

Makes a bad situation even worse. First Heartland installs two bathroom fans that are garbage (both stopped working after a few weeks) then they make it so that they can't be replaced without messing with the roof. My list of disappointments continues to grow.

etcmss

I want to replace the cheap bathroom vent that came with my 3650BH. I can't understand why this is used by Heartland. Can I replace it with a Heng's Vortex Upgrade Kit from the inside?

For those that have installed this Heng's Vortex fan----the reviews indicate noisy. Is it that bad? Gary

pegmikef

For those that have installed this Heng's Vortex fan----the reviews indicate noisy. Is it that bad? Gary

I usually run mine on low and it is in the bathroom, so you don't hear it at all unless you are right under it in the bathroom. Overall I would say there is not much difference between it and the fantastic fan in the kitchen/living area.

JohnDar

The single speed model is nowhere near as annoying as the OEM fan. The multi-speed one is even quieter on low or medium.

etcmss

Here's the issue. The Ventadome seems to be one piece. The cover opens with a handle not a crank. It is the E-Z Lift Ventadome.

has anyone replaced the single speed handle fan unit with the Heng (single or multi speed) ??? Does it require replacement from the roof?
I suspect it is a roof replacement since the handle mechanism is part of the external lift for the cover.

JohnDar

has anyone replaced the single speed handle fan unit with the Heng (single or multi speed) ??? Does it require replacement from the roof?
I suspect it is a roof replacement since the handle mechanism is part of the external lift for the cover.

Yes, I replaced both the bedroom fan and the one in the bathroom. If the outside lid raises via a rotated crank handle, it's a simple installation from inside the trailer. You don't need to remove the outside assembly. If the lid operates like the one shown earlier with that notched lever, then you have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etcmss

now I see it requires replacement of whole unit from the roof.

Attachments

• 3-10-2015 062 (Medium).JPG
    3-10-2015 062 (Medium).JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 62
B

BouseBill

MaxxFan arrived via UPS today, 10 speed reversible, remote control. Off to town tomorrow to purchase some Butyl tape and Dicor self leveling caulking.
climbed upon the roof this afternoon and peeled back some of the caulking covering the screw heads up there to see what type screw heads were used by HL.
Actually looks like a pretty easy install, now you know who will not have to stand on the toilet to open the vent:D:D

Attachments

• faninstructions.jpg
    faninstructions.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 44
  • fan2.jpg
    fan2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 48

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
now I see it requires replacement of whole unit from the roof.

If you remove the screen and current vent operator would it be possible to replace it with a crank-up type operator? Then you would not have to mess with replacing the entire vent.