Replace Lousy Ventadome Bathroom Vent Fan

jbeletti

MaxxFan arrived via UPS today, 10 speed reversible, remote control. Off to town tomorrow to purchase some Butyl tape and Dicor self leveling caulking.
climbed upon the roof this afternoon and peeled back some of the caulking covering the screw heads up there to see what type screw heads were used by HL.
Actually looks like a pretty easy install, now you know who will not have to stand on the toilet to open the vent:D:D

I had to "remove" Dicor Self-Leveling Sealant from my roof today - large patches of it. Not sure if you need to remove any in order to replace your fan, but I have a tip. I grabbed a wide plastic putty knife and while grabbing a couple straight blade screwdrivers, I saw my Vinyl Siding Zip Tool. Took a look at it and had an ah-ha moment. Took it all up to the roof and guess what, dragging the Zip Tool over the Dicor worked well to pull it up. I didn't end up with a perfectly clean roof, but the sealant was 3/16" to 1/4" thick and the tool worked great. I just took my time and never once had to fear that the tool would slit the EPDM.
siding_removal_tool.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I guess I'm the only one who didn't like the Heng. For me, the "tone" of the one speed fan grated my nerves, so I returned it, and tried the 3 speed. It was just as bad. We ended up replacing the whole unit with a 3-speed reversible Fantastic Fan, it was much better and quieter. It also has a removable screen so it's easy to clean when it gets "fuzzy".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I guess I'm the only one who didn't like the Heng. For me, the "tone" of the one speed fan grated my nerves, so I returned it, and tried the 3 speed. It was just as bad. We ended up replacing the whole unit with a 3-speed reversible Fantastic Fan, it was much better and quieter. It also has a removable screen so it's easy to clean when it gets "fuzzy".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The single speed one is in the bathroom as the "fart fan," so it's not run continuously. The reversible multi-speed one in the bedroom is quieter and we will run it while we sleep. Originally, I had installed the single speed in the bedroom. Anything was better than the OEM fans.

Tom46

Due to the fact that both the kitchen and toy hauler garage fans were about 8 feet up (Great engineering design!) I replaced both with MaxAir remote control fans. These things are GREAT and have both in and out air flow direction, multiple speeds and built in rain covers so they can stay open all the time. They were easy to install and fit right in the existing openings.