Fantastic Fan in Bedroom -- Power source and install tips?

TxCowboy

Still looking at alternatives to installing an AC in the front bedroom (Greystone 32RL). Looking at the Fantastic Fan Model 2250 (the one that doesn't have the separate thermostat or rain sensor).

What did you tap as the power source? The few videos that I found online have you tapping a DC light fixture by pulling the wires through the roof interior. Was wondering if you can tap into the pre-wired AC wiring -- but not sure that is actually a DC connection.

For those that have already done this installation, do you have any tips you can pass on?

Thanks!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can not use the pre-wired AC wiring as it is. It is 120 volt AC and the fan is 12 volt DC.
You could however remove the AC wiring from its circuit breaker and repurpose it as 12 volt by connecting it to the 12 volt fuse panel.
If you did tap into a ceiling fixture the light switch would have to be turned on for you to use the fan.
Let us know how you actually decide to do it and a few pictures. It may help someone else in the future wanting to do this mod.

Peace
Dave

TxCowboy

Cookie, good advice as always.

I am, unfortunately, a turnip in most thing mechanical...or electrical. I can splice a wire with the best of 'em but figuring out the correct wire to splice is the challenge. There is no way I have the technical skills needed to run wire to a DC panel or rewire/repurpose another DC breaker for this task.

One of the on-line video's illustrated tapping a DC light fixture but, as you pointed out, the light switch would have to be ON to power the vent. That didn't make sense to me unless you removed the bulbs/LEDs from the fixture so you could sleep at night.

Lynn1130

Do you already have a fan in the bedroom? I am assuming that you are not cutting an opening for this fan so there must be something there to drop in into but let me know if I am wrong. I replaced the fan that was in my bedroom with a Fantastic fan with the rain sensor, reverse mode and handheld remote. The most involved part was getting the sealer off of the roof from the other fan. If you already have a vent opening in the bedroom you can either remove the inside frame to see if there is pre-wire 12 volt or call Heartland with your VIN and see if they pre-wired.

If you have to tap the light for power, I would think that tapping before the light will give you constant 12 volt to the fan which is then controlled by the switch on the fan.

I went with this fan with all of the bells rather than another air conditioner after researching the air conditioners and finding that all were loud and the cycling would be a pain while trying to sleep. I have not looked back. It was a good decision for us.

TxCowboy

Lynn, thanks for posting.

There is currently a vent in the bedroom, directly over the center of the bed. It is the standard 14 inch hand-cranked vent without a fan. The vent is pre-wired for 120 Vac for an AC unit but I don't think it's wired for a 12 Vdc. I'll have to check tomorrow when I'm at the RV but I've never heard of them being pre-wired for DC -- but it is a good question. Maybe a call to HL is in order to ask that question.

As for tapping prior to the light fixture, that is a consideration. There is a wall switch that provides to the two pancake lights that are in the bedroom. I could then provide power to the fan and turn the lights on and off manually, as needed. Assuming I can reach the wiring...

Lynn1130

Yeah, I hate fishing walls and ceilings for wires but that may end up being your only fix. Let's hope there is something close.

caissiel

Be nice if you could fond a 12 volt line. Of there is a 110 line I cannot understand the reason for no 12 volt power.
Most units come with the cheap 12 volt fan.
Maybe it was a manufacturing mistake so they just placed in a standard vent.
We have the 3350 model fan and just love all controls are at easy reach above the bed.
You might want the rain sensor as minimum.
I ordered a fan with rain sensor after we forgot the fan up and ot rained on our bed.
Works wonders but pulling air on is great but sometime the vent smell happens.
Much less with all tanks shut. So when boondocking with no AC the solar feed the fan and it blows nice cool breeze.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since they seem to "generalize" the wiring for most rigs, it's likely that there is a 12V supply hidden behind the inner vent shroud. If you already have a vent opening, you could install the Heng Vortex fan, with multi-speeds and reverse, rather than the Fantastic Fan. Since you don't want the thermostat and rain sensor, it will give you all the ventilation you need.

The only "problem" with replacing the existing vent may be the mechanism for raising the outer cover. There have been reports that they've changed to a different lever type from the original crank-up type. That has caused grief for folks wanting to upgrade the fan without a major operation.

Lynn1130

JMHO but I think the Heng puts out a little more noise than the Fantastic and while it does move air it is nothing like the Fantastic.

Crumgater

Our bedroom vent (no fan as delivered) was pre-wired for 12v. It was actually easy to find, too!
We now have a fantastic fan in the bedroom, which is VERY nice.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
JMHO but I think the Heng puts out a little more noise than the Fantastic and while it does move air it is nothing like the Fantastic.

We tried using the Heng replacement in the bathroom, but tried two versions -- one speed and three speed -- and they were both too loud and had a whiny pitch that grated on my nerves.

Replaced with 3 speed reversible Fantastic Fan, it's awesome! We never use the high speed because low and medium move PLENTY of air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

If there is no 12volt available I am sure you could find 12 volt power supply that could fit in the ceiling space and be powered by the 120 V available. You'd have to be careful and match the power requirements but this could be easier than fishing for wires.

TxCowboy

Delayed the trip to the beach and the RV. Will update this thread with what I find in a couple of weeks when we're back at the RV. Thanks for all of the great posts! :)