RV Tools

vrugt

My neighbor in the RV camping had trouble with his landing gear and sliders. It made me think how about our Bighorn: how to manually control the landing gear and sliders if the battery fails. The owners manual is not of much help.

It took me quite a while to find the access to control the landing gear. In our 3600RL the system is accessible through a hole in the black metal wall behind the pump for the hydraulic slide-outs. There is one problem however, there is no tool included with the RV for it.

Neither is there a tool that came with with the RV to lower/raise the spare tire.

Also the pump for the hydraulic system can be manually controlled with a 1/4" hex wrench but no tool is provided.

The tools that came with the RV are a wrench to manually control the optional electric rear extender and one for the optional awning.

Is it the company's policy to only provide tools for the ordered optional equipment or are they missing indeed?

If they are missing I assume the dealer can take care of it. If not where can I buy them and how does one refer to these tools?

Last edited:

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
You should have gotten a tool for manually lowering the spare tire, landing gear and also for the rear stabilizing jacks. If you did not, then I would check with the dealer, they were probably borrowed for another rig and not replaced. They all came with my Bighorn.
Fred

Clark

VRUGT, The tools that came with my BH3055 are all on the front wall of the storage compartment attached with catches. You might check to see if the catches are at least there then you would know if it was a factory error or if they were pulled at the dealership.
Clark

RubiconAg

we had to go back to the dealer for our spare tire crank two different times before they got the right tool. We also did not have the tool for the landing gear. This seems to be a fairly common issue.

v92c

Texan
I didn't get the tool for the rear jacks, Lippert sent me one, free of charge. But I was told that the tool for the hydraulic pump was not included. So I found a bit to fit my cordless drill.

imchud

universal tool?

Does anybody have any Pictures of what tools you need to have, are all the tools for the Big Horns the same? ... My dealer had 3 different tools hanging in the storage bin when I pick up my 09 - 3385 B/H -- None of which fit nothing??? He said Heartland changed the tools for the unit I had, it was a 1 tool that fits all?? So he went and got a different tool and replaced the 3 for the 1 - I just took his word for it, but now I'm wondering if that's true... I'm out of town for the next 4 days so I can't check it myself, thanks....

Last edited:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
My 2006 BH only has one tool and I have used it once on the landing legs and more times than I would like to mention on the spare tire. Thank goodness that I have not had to use it on any slides (i'm knocking on wood as I type this).