leveling fifth to tow vehicle

Gas20

How do you level up your fifth wheel and your truck? Got the new sytem from dodge and looks alittle high in the bed, I know you gained about 2 inches from the hitch set up, plus my truck now has 18 inch wheels where my old one had 17 inch wheels. Not familiar with this and need alittle help please. Thank you

oldmannj

This is probably gonna need a bit more information. Pictures along with a manufacturer and model of your hitch will give people with that type hitch an opportunity to chime in. I'm pretty sure all hitches are height adjustable...just not sure if all mfr's adjust the same way. I doubt that's the case though. For instance my Reese Pro Series is a 4 bolt system that raises or lowers the saddle for the head. Hope this helps a bit ED. P.S. Get the truck and trailer on level ground first of all and measure from the frame rails to the ground. up to 1 inch either way nose high or nose down is acceptable I believe. Although most people prefer nose high to nose down stance.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
How do you level up your fifth wheel and your truck? Got the new system from dodge and looks alittle high in the bed, I know you gained about 2 inches from the hitch set up, plus my truck now has 18 inch wheels where my old one had 17 inch wheels. Not familiar with this and need alittle help please. Thank you

Did you hook up the 5th wheel to the truck and see what it looks like loaded? As far as the wheels are concerned the tire diameter is what you need to look at. Many times when they go to bigger wheels they also go with a shorter tire profile so all things equal out.

Gas20

Thanks Ed, the tire went from 17 inch to 18 inch but I will check the others size to see if it changed. Also yo say measure from the frame rails to ground, are you talking about the truck frame and what location on the frame or you talking about the hitch frame rails ? Sorry to ask dumb questions but this was all done by the dealership when I bought the 5th wheel, some years back. Now I am on my own with the new rig setting up.

Gas20

My tires on the new truck now are 275/70R18, on the 2007 the tires were 265/70R17. My hitch is a Reese pro series and has 4 bolts for raising and lowering the plate. I will get photo of it sitting on flat ground and post

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
My tires on the new truck now are 275/70R18, on the 2007 the tires were 265/70R17. My hitch is a Reese pro series and has 4 bolts for raising and lowering the plate. I will get photo of it sitting on flat ground and post

Your wheel and tires most likely are the same overall tire diameter based that the rim is taller but also wider and that is on the wider tire (275 vs 265). When a tire is put on a wider rim the profile height is reduced. Think of it like a balloon when you push in the sides the balloon get taller. Push it from the top an the balloon get shorter. Now you did not state the total size of the new rims vs the old rims in diameter and width but in most cases you will not see a large change if any in total tire diameter.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gas20, you made duplicate threads so I merged the second one into this thread.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Your wheel and tires most likely are the same overall tire diameter based that the rim is taller but also wider and that is on the wider tire (275 vs 265). When a tire is put on a wider rim the profile height is reduced. Think of it like a balloon when you push in the sides the balloon get taller. Push it from the top an the balloon get shorter. Now you did not state the total size of the new rims vs the old rims in diameter and width but in most cases you will not see a large change if any in total tire diameter.

Gas20, your new truck tires will be 1.55 in higher than your old truck.

oldmannj

OK Set the truck and trailer up on level ground. measure height of the TRAILER frame rails to check for level front to back. The measurements should be close to the same. If not, those four bolts you see are the way to adjust it. The head will come off if you pull the big pin in the center of the hitch, Then it's a matter of going up or down with those four bolts in the saddle. Remember, 1 bolt hole equals 1 inch BUT it will change the level of the trailer by 2 inches front to back. If you doubt yourself it might be best to take it to a dealer and pay them to do it as those four bolts need to be pretty darn tight and will be hard to make right without the proper tools ie: a torque wrench breaker bar etc.. Hope this helps ED.

Gas20

OK Set the truck and trailer up on level ground. measure height of the TRAILER frame rails to check for level front to back. The measurements should be close to the same. If not, those four bolts you see are the way to adjust it. The head will come off if you pull the big pin in the center of the hitch, Then it's a matter of going up or down with those four bolts in the saddle. Remember, 1 bolt hole equals 1 inch BUT it will change the level of the trailer by 2 inches front to back. If you doubt yourself it might be best to take it to a dealer and pay them to do it as those four bolts need to be pretty darn tight and will be hard to make right without the proper tools ie: a torque wrench breaker bar etc.. Hope this helps ED.

Thanks