Squeaky Floors

JoPa

I have a 2008 Bighorn 3400 RL. The floor in the kitchen squeaks. I took it to a dealer and he put shims under the floor. The problem is worse. Is there any fix a dealer can do.

Jopa

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our floor squeaked also. A dealer in Elkhart did the same fix but it only lasted a couple months before it came back. I removed the shims, squeezed as much adhesive as I could between the wood joists and OSB flooring. I then removed the vinyl flooring in the kitchen and with a stud locator, screwed the OSB to the joists. I replaced the vinyl with laminate. NO MORE SQUEAKS!

geeksrus

I have a 2008 Bighorn 3400 RL. The floor in the kitchen squeaks. I took it to a dealer and he put shims under the floor. The problem is worse. Is there any fix a dealer can do.

Jopa

Same 5er & same problem as you.

Earlier this month brought it to the Heartland authorized service center in Elkhart. Most of the work they did on the problem was around the kitchen cabinets. It still squeaks as much as ever.

I'll now try to fix it myself... maybe Ray's solution will work.

Sure disappointed for going so far out of my way to get to Elkhart & having the major warranty problem not resolved.:mad:

EH!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I should add and not trying to slam Heartland, When I removed the vinyl flooring, I did not see nor find many screw attaching the floor (OSB) to the Joists. I'm not sure what method they use. I can feel a big difference in the floor when walking from the Kitchen to the living area. Heartland may only attach the OSB around the perimeter and through the cabinets??? The flooring I used was from Home D and was $3.67 a ft. I used a little over 3 boxes for the kitchen. Including trim, total cost was about $200.

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 121
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 122

Fordsd250

Hey Ray,
Thats a great looking floor. We are thinking of replacing the vinyl soon. Thanks for the pictures.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
My floor squeaks in all areas from front to back. Disappointed with that. Sure seems Heartland coud have done better than they have on the floors.

jfrench

Every dealer is going to try and shim the floor first because of man hours. If that does not work they will have to go above the floor rip it up and screwed the OSB to the joists. The good new is the Landmark, Bighorn and Sundance xlt (2009) floors are Laminated so you will not hear a thing. I bet down the road all the floors will be.

jayc

Legendary Member
I have to agree with Joe here. I'll bet that soon all the SOB's will have a laminate floor just like Heartland!

Motair

Squeaking Kitchen Floor

The squeaking floor is one of the items that is on our list of warranty write ups for our 2008 bighorn 3370. Thanks for information concerning the shimming; I’ll pass that on to the service manager to go the other route