ATF: Landmark - refrigerator & dishwsher water lines

San-Ter

Owners manual states that only stainless or braided lines should be used for water lines to ice makers on residential refers. and plastic lines may void warranty. Heartland is using plastic lines. They are not protected from freezing under kitchen slide-out. I know this because my waterline to refer. and dishwasher froze and broke on Christmas morning 2014.

jimtoo

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. If you have been lurking much then you know we have lots of good information and great folks here.

The owners manual "recommends" stainless or copper lines be used on installation. But if you look at the illustration of the back of the fridge, and also look at the line installed by the fridge maker from the valve to the ice maker, it is plastic.

Jim M

jbeletti

Hi San-Ter,

Sorry to hear you got frozen lines. I can't speak to what the refer mfr states in their manual, but I'm pretty sure a braided stainless steel line outside in sub-freezing temps is going to freeze. The line may or may not expand and break - no experience with this.

In sub-freezing temps, you need to winterize your ice maker line and leave it winterized. I am taking a 2.5 month trip shortly and I will see hot temps and freezing temps in 10 states. I have winterized my ice maker line and refer and will leave it that way until I return home. Please consider doing this after you get your line fixed.

You mention that your dishwasher line froze too. What Heartland brand and floor plan do you own? Are you saying that for the dishwasher in your unit, the hot, cold and drain lines run under the slide room, outside?

danemayer

Owners manual states that only stainless or braided lines should be used for water lines to ice makers on residential refers. and plastic lines may void warranty. Heartland is using plastic lines. They are not protected from freezing under kitchen slide-out. I know this because my waterline to refer. and dishwasher froze and broke on Christmas morning 2014.

You need to winterize the refrigerator and dishwasher, regardless of the type of water supply line used. Copper tubing filled with water will freeze and rupture, although it may survive a little longer than a plastic line. Braided lines may survive colder temps too, but will also likely be damaged. And if the tubing survives, the fittings, valves and connectors may not.

Let me suggest you take a look at our Residential Refrigerator Guide for detailed instructions on winterizing the fridge. If you don't have the Frigidaire unit, the refrigerator controls might be somewhat different, but your refrigerator owners manual should help with those.

The dishwasher also has some additional vulnerabilities. The drain line, the sump, and the drain valve and pump can all freeze. I've attached a winterizing procedure.

On a last note, if located in a slideout, the refrigerator water feed line needs to have water evacuated even if you're living in the coach full time. When temps drop, the portion of the feed line under the slide will freeze.

Attachments

• Dishwasher Winterizing.pdf
    569 KB · Views: 23