Gateway - Outside Surface Oxidation

My 2013 Gateway 3200RS is experiencing oxidation on driver's side and rear of the 5th wheeler. I think this is due to the Florida sun and lack of care from the first owner (we purchased a few months ago). Does this RV have gelcoat or is it painted?

I want to Polyglow this RV which lasts longer than wax (about a year). This is like a polymer which is liquid and easy to apply. I have used it on a boat with great success. Can I use this product on my Gateway to restore the shine?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I thought the brown coloring of the Gateway was colored fiberglass. Maybe they had some damage that was then painted, which is oxidizing? If you have your VIN, you can call Heartland Customer Service and find out about how it was built originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TravelTiger, I did send to the factory with my VIN and this was also posted. I know something about boats but not alot about RV fiberglass. As soon as I get a reply from Heartland I will post it. I have contacted Heartland before on another matter with my Gateway and they responded promptly and with excellent information.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For faster response, you can call them at 877-262-8032. I don't think they monitor the forum regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveltiger, I took your advise and called the factory and got an instant response. The front cap is painted but the rest of the Gateway surface (except for the decals) has gelcoat. This means I can use Polyglow which makes the job of surface preparation, restoration, and protection much easier.

Got the PolyGlow on and no more oxidation. It looks shiny and new, and hopefully, will last a year. Next year I will wash and a couple of layers of the polymer and I am good for another year.

1_oldgoat

My Gateway is doing the same thing, i hve been using rv wash with wax, have to wipe it dry of the wax leaves a film on the body, thanks for the polyglow tip, i'll give it a try, the decals are discolored as well, maybe it will help with those?? I have been doing the wash and wax routine every trip, bugs can get bad on the cap and keeping them off is a pain but worth the effort and time it takes to wash. Tried a buffer but way to much work, took several hours to do one side and i couldn't really tell a difference from just using wax and a pad to wipe it off so gave up on that deal....i'll let you know if the polyglow does the trick.

The Polyglow is for oxidized surfaces only. I used the product on the driver side and the rear and it used one bottle with 5 coats. It came out looking like a million bucks! Parts of those sides needed a total of seven coats but it takes only a few minutes to dry. My decals showed signs of deterioration but I applied over them and they look much better. The front cap and passenger side were in good shape and I used a fiberglass wax. It also came out nice and shiny. The company claims it lasts about 1 year but on my boat it lasted 4 years of hard use. It was easier than wax. Hope you have good luck with it like I did.