fantastci fan--cover will not open

aatauses

hello,
We have a fantastic fan in Kitchen (2010 BH--3670) and at first it was not opening properly. A friend suggested to clean the thermostat, did that and then it was working fine, however now the lid will not open at all--the turning mechanism will start to turn but with the lid not opening it stops after one complete turn and then reverses itself and closes the lid. Suggestions are welcomed? also is there a way to by pass the mechanism and open the lid by hand--perhaps there is something catching on it and if I could open by hand that may solve the problem.
thanks
currently in AZ
al

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
What Jon says. Plus ours sticks from time to time. Might want to get on the roof and clean the gasket and lid then apply some silicone lubricant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Probably the rain sensor. These sensor is pretty sensitive and even heavy dew can activate it from time to time.

I turned off the rain sensor (there's a procedure in your owner's manual to do that), then had it auto-open and close three or four times. Turn the auto-sensor back on and it should be operating normally.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
When mine has done that I have had to open it manually ( a little upward pressure on the aft corners will help). The problem has been the cover sticking to the seal. As mentioned, cleaning and use of a silicone lubricant will get you back in business for a season or more.

pegmikef

Mine sticks shut if it goes several weeks without being opened. I can usually get it to open by turning in on and when it stops trying, turn it off and on again. Normally after three or four attempts it breaks loose.

mlpeloquin

Yep lid is stuck to the seal. Use the manual mode with a two or three step ladder. Push gently to break the lid free as you turn the manual knob. Use silicone as suggested. Open it and lube it once a year. Add it to your must do once a year list.

aatauses

thanks--so if I pull down on the knob and turn it I should be able to open manually?? I tried this but wow, it feels like something is going to break?
al

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
This from the Fan-Tastic Vent website:

Q WHY DO DOMES (lids) STICK TO THE RUBBER SEAL?

A CAUSE: Oil or oil derivatives and Polycarbonate are not compatible, they're actually enemies. Any oil or grease
on a Polycarbonate dome will cause cracks in a very short time yet Polycarbonate in the proper thickness is literally "bullet proof". Structurally, Polycarbonate remains the strongest exterior polymer available (hence, Fan-Tastic Vent lifetime warranted dome / flat lids) but, unfortunately, it's resistance to many chemicals and oil is not good.

EPDM rubber is the highest quality weather seal on the market and has been for many years. From our experience, it does not break down under severe Ultra Violet ray (UV) conditions and has remained soft and pliable for over 20 years. EPDM rubber's formula or recipe must include a lubricant for the extruding process. That lubricant is a small amount of "oil"! The amount of oil in the recipe is very slight but when subjected to heat and intense UV the rubber seal "bleeds" (a faint trace of oil develops on the surface of the seal).
The combination of Polycarbonate dome, compressed bleeding seal and sun, generates a chemical reaction resulting in a "stuck dome / lid". Historically, only a small percentage of seals extruded in the large lots we purchase bleed enough to cause this problem.

Our treating of all seals prior to packaging for 18 years with AK-1000, a silicone based protectant, eliminated sticking but occasionally required additional treatment, generally, prior to storing coach. A few years ago seals began sticking and re-treatment with AK-1000 didn’t correct the problem. Upon investigation, some component suppliers actually stated "EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) constraints in conjunction with dramatic cost increases and availability of essential chemicals lead to changes in the components they supplied without advanced notification”. Since then, we have used a release agent (rubber manufacturer recommended), redesigned and re-tooled the seal profile, changed the adhesive we apply inside seal to hold it to the main base and finally, changed rubber suppliers!