Backing into a site...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I know this subject has been discussed before and there are a lot of methods used by RVers.

Today I arrived at Drifters RV Park in Rockport TX for a couple of days. They assigned me site #34 which is a back-in site. I immediately asked for a spotter to help me back in and they called a man to come help me. Some time ago I took an RV driving class with Dick Reed Driving School. The instructor taught me and my wife how to back into sights and over the years I have tried to tell anyone I can what I learned. Today when this gentleman came to help me back-in he didn't wait but just started directing me and I recognized what he was doing, so I just listened to him. He got me into the site perfectly and he used the method I had been taught.

When I backed in I had my Dash Cam running and I made a clip of how I made it into this sight. Without his help I would not have made it in or at least not very easily. There were a couple of obstructions which would cause me problems. A tree, a sign and a car parked near by.

So to help you understand this method I am going to list a some of requirements.
The driver does not look into the mirrors
The driver turns in the direction told by the person directing.
The person directing stands by the driver side mirror facing in the direction the trailer is to move.
The person direction tells the driver the directions the trailer needs to go. Right, left or straight.
The driver turns in the actual direction given. Right, Left or straight.

Point to make. If the directing person looks at the trailer and wants it to go to the left he says that direction to the driver.
When the driver actually turns to the left as he is setting, it is the correct turn. If you think about it, each is the reverse and is the correct direction.
Turning left, the bottom of the steering wheel will go right which is correct because each person is facing the opposite direction and it works correctly.

I have on my Drop box 3 photos of the parking space and the area around it. I have also uploaded the Dash Cam video to watch and listen to. It is a bit difficult to hear but you can get most of it and see how the truck changes direction to make it into the site. If you look at the picture of the truck in the site you will notice that the trailer is straight and close to the edge of the site concrete.

I know there are going to be many that disagree but by gum this really works. You only need to practice.. To get into my site it took just a little more than 4 minutes and no arguments.

I hope you like the video..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o6uiwxpb87a1t9a/AADQcqFHyVrVLImWQQWdFoJ9a?dl=0

BC

I tested the link and to run the video you click on it. If it asks you to login click the X and ignore it.
It did not run the first time I double clicked on the video but did run the second time I double clicked
Let me know if it is not working for you..
BTW.. My dash cam lens was up to high but it is still view-able. I didn't know it had had been turned up a notch..

Bones

It may be me but I can't open the Link. Drop Box says it refused to connect. I'll check it later tonight.

explorer2316

Explorer2316
Great job! I think both the wife and I need the class. If nothing else it would be cheaper than marriage counseling needed when we try something like that now.

avvidclif

I know this subject has been discussed before and there are a lot of methods used by RVers.

Point to make. If the directing person looks at the trailer and wants it to go to the left he says that direction to the driver.

The directing person is facing the rear and the directions are given from his perspective, when he says left it's his left, not the trailers left or drivers side.

Am I correct on that???

(I have not watched the video, not working)

wdk450

BC:
I am widowed, stay in Thousand Trails "Find Your Own Site" with the sites mainly being back-in. I have had 2 backing "incidents" in the last 6 months, and want that to stop now. I have a wired rear camera system installed in my rig that I use when towing. I have even gotten the idea of laying down my orange extension cord down the backing path I wish to take and following that on the video monitor in the truck. The thing that gets me on an angle back-in is estimating where on the access road for the rig to be (center/near side/far side?), and how far forward of the space I should be to get my truck cranking around to one side, and the trailer cranking around to the other side. I am planning sometime to pull into a vacant storage lot area, get a measuring tape, and measure these distances. I always seem to get too close to the space correct pivot point on the road, or too far. I am always flustered about possibly holding up traffic, or all of the concerned observers. I made myself a "pre-backing" checklist to add to my other move day checklists. One of my notes on the checklist is to not hesitate to stop (many times if needed) during the back-in to check on things.
Lately, I have been seeking out pull-thru spaces before going into a nicer back-in space.

I would wonder if the spotter/observer described by the OP at the driver's window could always see all of the obstructions on both sides?

TxCowboy

Backing as a team is such an important part of the RVing lifestyle and never seems to get any attention unless someone backs into something!

Let me quote on item from the OP: The person direction tells the driver the directions the trailer needs to go. Right, left or straight.<strike></strike> (my boldface)

So many folks who are ground guiding (yeah, a military term) seem to forget that the driver has to interpret those hands and arm signals the ground guide is using. How many of us have seen a ground guide swinging their arm in a circle trying to tell the driver which way to turn the wheel? LOL

No!

Just point in the direction that the rear of the trailer needs to go and let the driver turn the tow vehicle as needed to orient the trailer in that direction.

Backing a trailer is definitely as skill but sometimes that task is made WAY to complicated.

TxBobcat, great post!! BTW, Laurie and I are in Blue Lagoons RV Park on Fulton Beach in Rockport. Can't miss us. We're the Landmark beside the Manager's Office. Drifter's is down near Aransas Pass but if you're in the Fulton area, swing by for a cold one -- if the wind doesn't blow you into the water first. :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looks like the method the CG owner where we park for the summer uses. Don guides everybody in, including the big Class A's.

avvidclif

Backing as a team is such an important part of the RVing lifestyle and never seems to get any attention unless someone backs into something!

Let me quote on item from the OP: The person direction tells the driver the directions the trailer needs to go. Right, left or straight.<strike></strike> (my boldface)

So many folks who are ground guiding (yeah, a military term) seem to forget that the driver has to interpret those hands and arm signals the ground guide is using. How many of us have seen a ground guide swinging their arm in a circle trying to tell the driver which way to turn the wheel? LOL

No!

Just point in the direction that the rear of the trailer needs to go and let the driver turn the tow vehicle as needed to orient the trailer in that direction.

Backing a trailer is definitely as skill but sometimes that task is made WAY to complicated.

TxBobcat, great post!! BTW, Laurie and I are in Blue Lagoons RV Park on Fulton Beach in Rockport. Can't miss us. We're the Landmark beside the Manager's Office. Drifter's is down near Aransas Pass but if you're in the Fulton area, swing by for a cold one -- if the wind doesn't blow you into the water first. :)

That depends on where the guide is and where he/she is facing. In Bobcats example the guide is beside the cab and facing to the rear. That's what I got from it and the only way it makes sense. I was trying to confirm that. The guide calls left and the driver turns the wheel to the left. That causes the trailer to go right (which is the guides left) which is where he wanted it to go.

That method is all predicated on the guide being beside the driver and facing the rear.

donr827

I had my wife stand at the rear of the site to watch out for any objects. If she thinks that I need to adjust the back I get out and check it first. Don't be afraid to get out and check as many times that you need.
Don

mlpeloquin

BC:
I am widowed, stay in Thousand Trails "Find Your Own Site" with the sites mainly being back-in. I have had 2 backing "incidents" in the last 6 months, and want that to stop now. I have a wired rear camera system installed in my rig that I use when towing. I have even gotten the idea of laying down my orange extension cord down the backing path I wish to take and following that on the video monitor in the truck. The thing that gets me on an angle back-in is estimating where on the access road for the rig to be (center/near side/far side?), and how far forward of the space I should be to get my truck cranking around to one side, and the trailer cranking around to the other side. I am planning sometime to pull into a vacant storage lot area, get a measuring tape, and measure these distances. I always seem to get too close to the space correct pivot point on the road, or too far. I am always flustered about possibly holding up traffic, or all of the concerned observers. I made myself a "pre-backing" checklist to add to my other move day checklists. One of my notes on the checklist is to not hesitate to stop (many times if needed) during the back-in to check on things.
Lately, I have been seeking out pull-thru spaces before going into a nicer back-in space.

I would wonder if the spotter/observer described by the OP at the driver's window could always see all of the obstructions on both sides?

Bill, backing up is not as hard as I first thought. I do it alone or I would be divorced. My wife is not mechanically inclined and does not judge distances well helping one back in. First you have to get two things down. Stay close to the side you are going to back into and the distance from the space. Both do not have to be exact, but going further from the site is better than short. When you start your turn, don't crank the wheel all the way. If you do, you will have problems. Keep you 5er tires in view with your rear view mirror. I hope your trucks are are remotely adjustable. When you see it starting to turn, you can adjust your turn so that the tires will get near the site opening prior to turning more. Stop and keep adjusting the mirror to keep the 5er's tires in your view. Get out and look at your blind side to make sure about it. After several of these maneuvers it starts to get to be second nature. I have some red safety cones I use at home in the street. Get one and it may help you to judge by keeping one in you side mirror at all times.

My storage where I worked at has now decided to eliminate the retirees from the storage lot. At my new storage lot I have to back in. Right between a large class A who's owner does not pull in the gigantic mirrors and another. It took me getting out to look at my blind side four times to make sure, but I did not have to pull forward. I kept it close to the Class A and his BIG MIRRORS. They seemed big enough that if they could flap the dog gone thing would fly!

Last edited:
Leaving early one morning my exit was blocked. While trying to navigate back down the road a very helpful man with a coffee in one hand quickly proved to me to follow his directions faithfully. AfTer following his directions back and around a corner my thanks were followed with a 'no problem'. He explained his years in the fire department involved vehicles far bigger than this fifth wheel. My hat is off to the humble.

Lynn1130

Backing into RV camping spaces is a piece of cake. I have a 10X40 indoor storage spot with large class A's next to me and across from me. My wife does a very good job of directing but there are times when she is checking one side and is not visible. We stay in contact with either radios or cell/bluetooth. I have to watch clearance on one side with the mirrors while she is watching the other side and rear clearance to the wall of the storage space. We go slow, communicate often and correct backing angles often. Sometimes I make it in one try and sometimes I have to pull forward and adjust. It is good practice because getting into RV camping spaces in most all other places is nothing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I came by but you were gone.. I am leaving tomorrow. If I had your phone number I would have called you... I left my card on your door...

It would be great to meet you.. Catch me if you can.. LOL

BC

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
wdk450

I have even gotten the idea of laying down my orange extension cord down the backing path I wish to take and following that on the video monitor in the truck.

I have done something very similar. I have some small orange cones we used when working with horses. They are only about 6" tall and I have placed them in a line along where I want the side of the trailer to set. It does help.

The thing that gets me on an angle back-in is estimating where on the access road for the rig to be (center/near side/far side?), and how far forward of the space I should be to get my truck cranking around to one side, and the trailer cranking around to the other side.
I am always flustered about possibly holding up traffic, or all of the concerned observers. .
When you pull forward before trying to back into a camp site that is on your left side, you should pull close to the left then turn right a short distance then back left. This positions your truck and trailer to bend back into the site. Your trailer wheels should be just beyond the line of the site that you want to turn into. You then turn your steering wheel hard to the right. This will kick your trailer rear back toward the site. Adjust your steering to keep the wheels moving into the camp site. Turn back left when you want to start straightening the trailer. Practice is necessary.

I am planning sometime to pull into a vacant storage lot area, get a measuring tape, and measure these distances. I always seem to get too close to the space correct pivot point on the road, or too far.
Rather than measuring. Take and park your trailer in an large open lot. Put the cones on both sides and the back. Then on the front as if you are in the street. This will show you where the site reaches the road your backing from. Then practice your approach and turning. GO SLOW.. Make as many adjustments as you need. Don't try to make the entire backing all in one run. Many positioning moves helps much more. If you have a lot of room your may make it in one run but that's in your practice.

I am always flustered about possibly holding up traffic, or all of the concerned observers. I made myself a "pre-backing" checklist to add to my other move day checklists. One of my notes on the checklist is to not hesitate to stop (many times if needed) during the back-in to check on things..

If you watched the video, you will notice that a truck was stopped waiting for us to get my truck backed in. Normally most people will be patient.. They have been in the same place as you.
Also many people will stop to watch someone that is backing in and some will laugh.. I was backing into a site and had to stop and pull forward and then backward many times but I made it. When I got set up, I walked down to where the folks were watching and asked the each for $0.50.. The cost for the entertainment. We all laughed and had a nice time.. Don't let it bother you..

No. If you watch the video you will see the guide come around front and going to the back. He is checking on a picnic table and moving it out of the way. He also went back to see how far I could pull back into the site. Once I was straight in the site he stayed back and coached me how far to keep backing use all of the concrete in the site.

We all do.. that's why I am not good at backing. My wife use to fuss at me to always get a pull thru. I didn't care and would take a back-in for the practice. She got were she didn't want to guide me to back into a site.. Practice Practice Practice..

This is why I have been trying to get the chapter leaders/wagon master's to see if a 5th wheel and a tongue tow to let us practice as an event. Could be fun and helpful...

FWIW
BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The directing person is facing the rear and the directions are given from his perspective, when he says left it's his left, not the trailers left or drivers side.

Am I correct on that??? (I have not watched the video, not working)

The Guiding person will tell the driver what direction to turn. That is the direction the back of the trailer needs to go. The driver will actually turn the direction stated.
If the guiding person says left, he wants the back of the trailer to go left. His left. The driver then turns the steering wheel to the left. His left. The guiding person's left is the opposite of the drivers left which brings the bottom of the steering wheel to the right for the driver and the back of the trailer goes left to the guiding person and right of the driver. Same direction for the back of the trailer.

How's that for double talk... LOL

BC

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I can back a bumper-pull trailer into just about any spot by myself.

Still getting used to the 5th-wheeler but am almost as good now with it!

I generally back into our side yard by myself with lots of obstacles . . .

My neighbors truck is always parked in the way right across from the spot, mail boxes, rose bushes, two fence posts and the overhang on our garage for starters.

I usually have to get out two or three times to make sure I'm in the right spot.

ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010693.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010699.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010690.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010691.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010703.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010701.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010708.jpg ProwlerSnow-IMAG0235.jpg

These were all taken the day after we got back from the AZ HOC Tucson Rally last month.

Threw that last one with the snow in there just for kicks - that was this past Wednesday - we had 22 inches here.

wdk450

Looks like the method the CG owner where we park for the summer uses. Don guides everybody in, including the big Class A's.

I think that big class A's are actually EASIER to back in than most any trailer. Why? Because in a motorcoach your mirrors are always going to show you what is beside or near your vehicle. When cranking a truck around to back a trailer around a corner into a space all bets with using your mirrors ARE OFF! Only when you are backing straight backwards do they show you the nearby obstructions. Neither set of mirrors shows you obstructions immediately behind you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think that big class A's are actually EASIER to back in than most any trailer. Why? Because in a motorcoach your mirrors are always going to show you what is beside or near your vehicle. When cranking a truck around to back a trailer around a corner into a space all bets with using your mirrors ARE OFF! Only when you are backing straight backwards do they show you the nearby obstructions. Neither set of mirrors shows you obstructions immediately behind you.

Perhaps, but the CG is heavily treed and not all Class A drivers should be. I manuever fire trucks around and appreciate having a spotter when backing them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk