If I have seen it once - I’ve seen it a hundred times…..

Mburtsvt

So I’m siting in my rig at the RV park this morning watching the coming and going of the tribes and I have come to a few conclusions. People don’t readily adapt to technology that is at their finger tips. I’m watching an older couple backing in the 5th wheel into their spot. The wife, (my assumption), is directing him back. She is waving her hands and he is getting out of the truck every 5 feet to see what the heck she is talking about when she waves her hands.

Correct me if I’m wrong - but could all of that be avoided if they just called each other on their cell phones. He could have her on speaker phone and she could let him know what is going on with the backing up process.

I suppose it’s a good way to get some morning exercise - getting in and out of the truck 3 to 4 times.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Your assumption is they are working as a team. Amy loves to help. So, I let her (think) that she is.....then I put the rig where I want it;)

Amy once told me if I didn't lay off I wasn't going to see her for a few days. I said "promises promises". She was right ...the first day I didn't see her at all, the second same thing, on the third day I could just start to see her out of the corner of my left eye.

GOTTOYS

We don't feel the need to pay for 2 cellphones so we only have one that we share...All of this technology does have a price tag ya know...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have a pair of Cobra handy-talkies we use, but I still like to stop for a visual if her instructions aren't clear and to judge distance.

RoadJunkie

The social impact of spousal "cooperation" during the backing of any type of trailer--boat, camping, or otherwise--will be the subject of study for psychologists for many, many, years to come. I doubt any conclusions will be drawn, and the mystery of why our spouses spontaneously disappear beyond any peripheral vision during the backup process will likely never be solved. Furthermore, cryptologists will never likely interpret the directional flailing of hands and arms in the seemingly random motions that are intended to smoothly guide the trailer into place. The announcement that the trailer is indeed in perfect position, often only reveals that they would be content to sleep in a trailer at odd angles rather than to have to spend one more second redoing any part of the backup process. Somehow, through short and selective memory, we just love to take our rigs from the safety of our storage spot. Bless our hearts.

sengli

Ditto on the hand held walkie talkies, we had them for years. Guess you could use cell phones too.

Rollin_Free

Your assumption is they are working as a team. Amy loves to help. So, I let her (think) that she is.....then I put the rig where I want it;)

Amy once told me if I didn't lay off I wasn't going to see her for a few days. I said "promises promises". She was right ...the first day I didn't see her at all, the second same thing, on the third day I could just start to see her out of the corner of my left eye.

Was it a upper cut or maybe one of those hidden round house hook stingers

- - - Updated - - -

My wife just said remember that men think one way and women think another. Oh boy, can't wait for our next parking expedition. I wonder if the dash cam is working:confused::D

Last edited:

guyc66

This is why pull-thru sites were invented. If I can't reserve a pull-thru at a campground I will keep driving till I find one available.....I would rather lose sleep than decipher my wife's attempt at directing me into a back-up site!

Westwind

Re: If I have seen it once - I’ve seen it a hundred times…..

I tried the two way radio's in 2002, when I handed it to her she looked at me as if I was nuts, for the next 14 years I have tried to gently direct her towards the correct way to help me back in, like stay in my mirror, consistent had signals, remembering that all of the trailer backs into the site not just one side. Unfortunately nothing seems to work so now I go through the partnership motions and back it in on my own, unfortunately we still provide entertainment to those in a 1 mile radius - LOL.

danemayer

One of the shortcomings of 2 way radios is that both people have to understand that you can't put your thumb on the talk button and leave it there.:p

avvidclif

My DW standard answer was if the trailer is on the back of the TV the "R" position doesn't exist. Note "was". The last 2 times we have tried a different technique covered on here sometime back where the guide is standing beside the driver looking to the rear on whichever side the turn is made. I tried to be the driver and her the guide and that didn't work so we changed. She drives and watches the front and side of the TV in front of the bed. That's her job. The trailer is mine. If it (RV) needs to go to the left I tell her left and she turns the wheel to the left (counterclockwise). No misunderstanding. We go slow and when I say left or right, we do it in small increments (1/4t of the steering wheel each) so "more left" or "more right" is heard . Stop is also heard when it's where it needs to be or I need to check the other side.

We're still perfecting our instructions but have used this technique the last 2 times we parked the trailer and it works very well. No pullups and exactly where we wanted it. No yelling or arm waving either. We're within 5-6' of each other. She understands that if the RV hits something it's my fault, period. No stress.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We are doing an extended stay at a CG. I sit here every day and watch all the antics of the backing process. Even the big motor coaches can't get it right the 1st or 12th time and they don't bend in the middle. It seems that some of the hand/arm movement came from Navy semafor (SP) signals with flags. It seems like these people think that a RV gets wider when backing up. So far most if not all coach's have all the shore hook ups on the left side. So why would back as far to right as you can get and string all the hoses and electric cord all the way across the pad. Beats me. Some of the owners are just down right scary and should not be allowed to be on the roads we all share.

The thing that scare me the most, is when the wife stands under the 5'er behind the pin box and is guiding DH to hit the pin...AND he misses 3 times. Sorry but that could turn out VERY BAD.

BTW, the only place that is more fun to watch than a RV park...........is boat launch ramp. There they can sink the boat and TV all at the same time. Seen it done.

PS, dear...please do not look in passenger mirror ( at least 10K times ) when I need to change lanes. The back of your head is not very reflective.;););)

TxCowboy

This is why pull-thru sites were invented. If I can't reserve a pull-thru at a campground I will keep driving till I find one available.....I would rather lose sleep than decipher my wife's attempt at directing me into a back-up site!

Amen! LOL :)

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

Easy way to have someone help you: Learn to back up by yourself. Use mirrors and cameras to your advantage.

For your helper: Either tell them to tell you to stop depending on how far you need to backup or use them to monitor tight areas by pointing out an object and tell them to watch it and make sure you don't get close to it. Otherwise, don't worry about having them guide you.

Stop and get out to check occasionally to make sure your where you want to be.

This system works very well. Twice now in the past few weeks, I had people stop me and ask how I can back up my truck and RV so well.

jnbhobe

Easy way to have someone help you: Learn to back up by yourself. Use mirrors and cameras to your advantage.

For your helper: Either tell them to tell you to stop depending on how far you need to backup or use them to monitor tight areas by pointing out an object and tell them to watch it and make sure you don't get close to it. Otherwise, don't worry about having them guide you.

Stop and get out to check occasionally to make sure your where you want to be.

This system works very well. Twice now in the past few weeks, I had people stop me and ask how I can back up my truck and RV so well.

Now that's the right way to do it, practice, my wife seldom helps me park it.