Installed TorkLift's Glowstep Revolution Step System Today

mlpeloquin

If anyone who has installed the glowstep steps on their 3010re Bighorn - would you mind telling me what the parts numbers used were? My rig is in storage and we want to order the steps before we pull the rig out. Please and thank you.

I replied to your message. I got the Glowstep-Revolution Model A8004 and it fits the Bighorn 3210RE. I remember I made spacers out of 1/8" X 1.5" aluminum stock. I marked hole locations using the side of the old steps and used a step drill oversized clearance openings. The shims were slid up between the steps and the mounting plate using a piece of 1/16” aluminum stock that I had on hand. The second shim went in a bit snug do to the stairs not being perfectly square in the opening. Prior to tightening the mounting bolts, adjust the front of the steps to be even with the front. Make sure that the locking pin can clear the side and trim. You can order the spacers instead.

Mrsfish

I replied to your message. I got the Glowstep-Revolution Model A8004 and it fits the Bighorn 3210RE. I remember I made spacers out of 1/8" X 1.5" aluminum stock. I marked hole locations using the side of the old steps and used a step drill oversized clearance openings. The shims were slid up between the steps and the mounting plate using a piece of 1/16” aluminum stock that I had on hand. The second shim went in a bit snug do to the stairs not being perfectly square in the opening. Prior to tightening the mounting bolts, adjust the front of the steps to be even with the front. Make sure that the locking pin can clear the side and trim. You can order the spacers instead.

youre a gem! And I did receive your pm also. Thanks very much for your help and safe travels!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Ann, I just installed a set on ours and it took me 20 minutes. I used the 4 step model on the Silverado, which is a Bighorn model. See you next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mrsfish

Ann, I just installed a set on ours and it took me 20 minutes. I used the 4 step model on the Silverado, which is a Bighorn model. See you next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well, if I can get a set before we leave, I may have you and John d help us install ours ��
I really had been hoping to get them on before we came, but it's not working out that way.

Searched for a better step set-up than what comes on most units and came across the Glow Step. Was so impressed with it purchased a set for each steps(have 2 entries) and 1 each of the dirt destroyer and the safe step for the dog. So far work as intended and height adjustments are simple if needed.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
well, if I can get a set before we leave, I may have you and John d help us install ours ��
I really had been hoping to get them on before we came, but it's not working out that way.

No problemo . . .

I'll bet we can get them installed in 10 minutes with all of the install experience we have with our own recent installs.

I know that I said in previous posts that it took me two hours, but now that I've done it once, it probably would only take me 20 minutes tops!

So far we love them to death, although we have only used them in our Prowler's parking spot in our side yard.

The Alto Rally will be our first trip to use them while actually camping!

Prowler-IMAG0466sm.jpg ProwlerGlowStep7-P3160624.jpg

danemayer

One of the features of the Glowsteps is the ability to adjust the legs to fit uneven terrain. One foot here is all the way out and the other all the way in. Nice and stable.

Glowstep-Feet.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-05-22 17.43.56.jpg
    2017-05-22 17.43.56.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 27

Power247

Mine came over the weekend 😎. Unfortunately so did the rain. Thankfully I still have plenty of time before our first trip out.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

2TrakR

Probably a dumb question, but we hit a lot of different campgrounds and sometimes end up with less than ideal step to ground distance. I see on the literature these have 7" of adjustability once installed.
If we hit a campground that needs more than 7" of adjustment (I'm thinking of a spot that would need 12" of extra), are we talking tossing a block under these to support them or are there are means to get them in contact with the ground in such a situation?
Is adding a step something that could reasonably be done on-site during setup (with some expected swearing of course)?

I think the 7" will be adequate for the majority of spots we go to.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Probably a dumb question, but we hit a lot of different campgrounds and sometimes end up with less than ideal step to ground distance. I see on the literature these have 7" of adjustability once installed.
If we hit a campground that needs more than 7" of adjustment (I'm thinking of a spot that would need 12" of extra), are we talking tossing a block under these to support them or are there are means to get them in contact with the ground in such a situation?
Is adding a step something that could reasonably be done on-site during setup (with some expected swearing of course)?

You might give Torklift a call to answer, but my thought would be the steps would still reach the ground, but the angle of the treads may not be ideal, without some blocks under the feet.

Our worst site yet, you can see the top step is at a slight angle. But we were ok with that. (Pic below, notice the extension on the LevelUp).

752c0556c37aa13a5813050583d9e951.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Probably a dumb question, but we hit a lot of different campgrounds and sometimes end up with less than ideal step to ground distance.

I see on the literature these have 7" of adjustability once installed.

What you describe above is about what we have when our Prowler is parked in our side yard (which is where it lives when not on the road):

ProwlerGlowStep8-P3200628.jpg

Notice in the above shot that the top of the steps are in the top of three positions, plus look at how much leveling is under the tires.

The tires on the other side are on the ground (ie.- no blocks under them).

ProwlerGlowStep7-P3160624.jpg

You can also see above in both shots that the door side front jack is extended much more than the off door side.

Plus, there is at least another four inch drop from where the railroad ties are to where the bottom of the steps are.

ProwlerGlowStep5-P3160596.jpg

Unless you have a cliff at the bottom of these steps, I doubt that you'll ever find a spot where you can't use the GlowSteps!

If I drop the top of the steps in either of the lower two positions I can get even more drop out of them!

I'll be outside tomorrow getting the Prowler ready for the Ft. Collins, CO HOC Rally next week, so I'll do some measurements and maybe take more photos.

Also, you can buy more steps and add them to your already mounted GlowSteps if you need more reach!

By the by . . . we are originally from Jackson, Michigan . . . moved to Colorado 21 years ago!

2TrakR

Thanks, appreciate the pictures showing different heights.Will have to add these to our "get list".

Power247

Got mine installed today now that the rains are gone. What an improvement!
669118edf9b3ac5a94de9710d43fe9a3.jpg

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

RoadJunkie

Our worst site yet, you can see the top step is at a slight angle. But we were ok with that. (Pic below, notice the extension on the LevelUp).

Wow, I don't think I would care for an angled step. Not good. But, if you are ok with it that's what matters.

mlpeloquin

Wow, I don't think I would care for an angled step. Not good. But, if you are ok with it that's what matters.

The steps have three levels of adjustment at the top as well as adjustable feet. The top of the steps are at the highest setting. They could be dropped down one setting or pushed in a bit to level the top step. Love ours.

BusManRG

First off, let me preface this by saying that I am in no way criticizing other people's choices or purchases!. I'm just trying to get a clearer picture in my mind �� Our 2017 Big Horn came with the aluminum steps (4). We love them! We don't have to worry about adjustment, we don't have to worry about cleaning steps before we store them because they're going to be inside the trailer. They are very sturdy and I didn't need to purchase any non-skid step wraps. What am I missing???? They look great, but I haven't yet seen the need. Maybe because we are still, for the most part, weekenders.

Sandy

Last edited:

TravelTiger

This was only because the site was so unlevel. It's a state park, with sites not really meant for such big-rigs. Notice the slope front to back. And side to side was unlevel as well.

Normally, most sites are not this bad, and the Glowstep Revolution steps are always horizontal. Like stated above, the top step has three settings, to help evenly distribute the step size over the distance from rig to ground.

In this particular case, the top step was at the lowest setting, the steps were extended quite a bit, and the landing gear legs were fully extended.

1f2c27d76ff9eee0f9e129f4fbe23fe7.jpg

TravelTiger

Let me also answer the "why" question. With OEM steps, if you get to a site and the last step is very close the the ground, what do you do? Skip it going up, or take a small step then 3 more bigger steps? Same thing going down, 3 large steps and then one smaller, or skip the last and take a bigger step to ground?

Then what if the site slopes away from the rig. The last step is further away from the ground then the other 3, causing a more difficult step up to get started up the steps, or a bigger step down to the ground. Some folks carry an "extra" step to help with this.

Both these scenarios can be difficult if you have balance problems, bad hips or knees, weak ankles, etc. because the changing step size creates a change to your natural gait. I have stumbled and fell a few times going in and out of our old three step. The four step on the BC was better, but still hurt my knees because the issues mentioned above.

The Glowstep steps always contact the ground, so they are extremely stable. They adjust the step size to be more equal, because of the scissor nature and the ability to adjust the top step and the landing gear legs.

If you get a chance to go to an RV show, you can test this out. Montana puts Glowsteps on as OEM. Others are utilizing MorRyde's fold into the doorway steps. Others have the standard OEM steel, and others have the Lippert aluminum. You can easily compare all of them and see the difference.

Maybe at Goshen, with all three vendors there, maybe folks can compare and make the decision that best fits them.