No brakes after brakeaway pulled

Nbomar

Big thanks to @jesstalkn for suggestions on fixing my brakes today. I recently installed a new breakaway switch and wanted to try it out today to verify it was working. After pulling it and installing the pin back in, I got an error on the dash of my 2015 GMC saying "service trailer brakes". I just dismissed the error because I've gotten errors before and they never really meant anything. Upon hooking up and going to leave the park in Kansas City I immediately noticed the lack of stopping power. I checked the pin and it was in, unplugged and re-plugged the 7 pin connector, re-started the truck and nothing fixed it. I had lights and power to the trailer, just no brakes. After checking everything I could think I of I started (slowly) on my way home and reached out to Jarrod. He suggested checking the power from the truck at my next stop out of the 7 pin to see if it was delivering power to the brakes. I used one of the extra led strips I have for the cabinets (another Jarrod inspired project) and sure enough no power. He told me to try and unplug the negative on the both truck batteries for a couple minutes to reset the truck systems. Voila! I had brakes again.

Just in case any of you experience this issue, simple solution I never would have thought of. I was already sure it was the new breakaway switch and I needed to replace it again. Glad to have people on this forum to help rookies figure out the problems.

Thanks,
Nick

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Nick glad I could help. That has fixed a lot of electrical problems over the years.
Glad you we're successful in getting your brakes back in service again. Stops slot better when they work.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our first trip out with our Prowler last year, I forgot to unhook the breakaway cable and popped it.

Ooppsseeyy!!!!!

Anyway, I pushed it back in right away, but when we were leaving the campground I got an error message on the dash of my 2015 Chevy 2500HD.

My brakes were engaged, however . . .

I screwed around with it for a half an hour and couldn't clear the message . . .

As I recall, what finally cleared the error message was to pull out the breakaway while the motor was running, then I shut the truck motor off and plugged the breakaway back in, then waited a couple of minutes . . . and when I started the truck again the error code went away!

RamblinFever

I just bought a 2011 Elkridge last month. Taking it home, everything worked. Two days ago I hitched up because of noticing some hitch noises. No matter, I still had no brakes to the trailer. No error messages and nothing worked by increasing the setting on the factory brake controller on my 2016 Silverado. Think I will check the power at the 7 pin and then disconnect the negative.