Questions about furnace vents

cgaetz

Had our 2009 3490BHS out last weekend, and it was fairly cool and rainy. It cooled off quite a bit at night, so we turned on the furnace to keep the trailer warm for the kiddies. In the morning, we woke up quite warm and cozy, but when we went downstaris, there was a VERY noticable difference in temperature, it was almost cold in the kitchen / bunk area compared to the upper bedroom. I do know that heat rises, but is this normal? We even ran the ceiling fan and it didn't help alot. Does anyone block the vents in the upper area? Are there any other tricks?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We replaced a few of our floor vents with metal closable vents we found at Home Depot. Mostly because we were cracking the plastic ones by walking on them. On our floor plan, the 3370, we have a vent in the bath and one a few feet over at the side of the bed. Was too hot upstairs. We close off one and it seems to make a difference downstairs. The ones we replaced were on the vinyl and the new ones had no provision for screws, so I ran a small bead of adhesive caulk along the bottom and they seem to be holding fine.
Do a search on the forum for "vent tent" and you'll find some other solutions that work well.

cgaetz

Thats a good idea, I noticed that they were an odd size, but I will look this weekend and see if I can get different vents.

SmokeyBare

If you look at the under side of the hole cut in the floor... you may discover the hole for the vent has been over cut in each corner.... Sort of what a circular saw will do.

Those over cuts often will allow the floor to flex a little at each corner of the vent when you step in them. I had to find a quick fix for the one in front of our stove. I found a metal vent at one of the building centers... I was able to carefully cut the hole larger so I could install this vent... by enlarging the hole... I removed the over cut corners.

For the other's that were over cut... I had those repaired in Elkheart... before the 2007 Heartland Rally. They glued additional material around the underside of each vent opening... which solved my problem.

Hope this helps...