05 Ford Towing and Braking System

A bit of information: we picked up our Big Horn 3055RL Wednesday (What a nice Coach) we had the slider Hitch installed and wiring Installed. When I was ready to leave the slider was in the rear position so I applied the manual brake in the system and tried to slide it to the traveling position the trailer brakes wouldn’t lock and I couldn’t get it to slide to move forward and the brakes would hold the trailer and it just keep rolling, so I thought I didn’t have any brakes! So we got the mechanic back and checked the connections he told me to contact ford and see if there was an adjustment to the brake system.
My ford 2005 SD came with the Tow Command System installed and after some calls to local dealers I was informed that ford trucks manufactured prior to 3/23/05 have a maximum of 3-volts running through the plug to the trailer and after that date they change it to 10-volts and the tow brake system interfaced through the ABS system it was designed not to lock up, the more pressure applied to the brake pedal the more voltage is applied but wont start increasing voltage until you reach 30 MPH. so I cant lock the coach brakes to slide the 5th wheel forward or backwards..
their are couple of alternative:To have an upgrade to have the 10-volt added but still can’t lock the trailer brakes. (Seems impractical) or have an after market brake system installed to lock trailer brakes
And does anyone have any safety concerns! No brakes on the trailer until you reach 30 MPH and as of yet cant slide the fifth with chocks?
I’m wondering if anyone is having or had this experience? Is it effecting your towing and maneuvering and what you have done or doing about it?

bajaron

Bajaron
sonnybeech

Don't you have a breakaway cable hooked to the front of the 5th. If you pull the pin out it will lock your trailer brakes.
I have a 2005 F350 with the trailer brake controler and pull my trailer and didn't notice any problem at slow speeds. Why do you need a slider hitch ?.:confused:

Ron w.

Yes I do have a break away cable, I tried pulling it when I did my first walk around never got it to activate ! pretty tight. I had them install the slider Figured their was no reason to take a chance while maneuvering, or if I every had to tow another type of fifth wheel then I would have clearance if needed.
With the Bighorn attached I had plenty of clearance when parking and I had jackknifed almost 90 Deg
I’m wondering if anyone is having or had this experience? Is it effecting your towing and maneuvering and what you have done or doing about it?

bajaron

Bajaron
sonnybeech

I'm not an expert on this but is sure sounds like your trailer brakes are not
adjusted properly. Mine lock up when this pin is pulled and i think this is the way its suppose to work. Take it back and have the brakes adjusted.
Thats a good reason to have a slider. :)
I also keep my wheels chocked until i finish hooking up and am sure everything is secured.

Ron W.
Soon to be in AZ