2013 3110 electrical question

Aneal

OK so started having some electrical problems with our 3110. When hooked to 30 amp or a 20 amp service everything works fine at the campground when hooked to 50 amp service the fridge will start acting up. Battery indicator lights won't show full charge. Hook camper back up to 30 amp service and everything works fine. About ready to pull my hair out.

Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Allen
2013 3110 cyclone
2004 Dodge 2500

jimtoo

Hi Aneal,

Welcome to the HeartlandOwners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here withlots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

IF,,, IF this is being done at the same campground at the same electrical hookup box you might have a bad plug or something wrong in the box. I'm sure some others will jump in soon with more and better info for you.

Be sure and check out our
HeartlandOwners Club. Joinus at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and makefriends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Thread moved to better area also.

danemayer

Hi Aneal,

When you're connected to a 30 amp or 20 amp receptacle, I assume you're using an adapter. The adapter takes the one hot leg and ties it to both hot legs of your 50 amp shore power cord.

When plugging the shore power cord into a 50 amp receptacle, there are 2 hot legs. It sounds like L2 is not getting power, or perhaps getting partial power.

This could be a problem with the campground pedestal. If that checks out, I'd suggest inspecting the neutral connection where the shore power cord connects to the trailer, in the automatic transfer switch and on the back of the circuit breaker panel. If you're not comfortable doing that (with power disconnected of course), you should find a licensed electrician to help.

Aneal

Dan,

This problem has happened at the last couple campgrounds that we have stayed at and used the 50 amp hook-up. It really has me boggled as to why. At first thought it was the fridge acting up again ( already had to replace the cooling unit of the fridge). The fridge "green light was flashing 6 times talked to domestic and tried their opinions. But thought it was funny when we would put the adapters on and use the 30 amp side of campgrounds we wouldn't have any problems.

One thing I noticed this last weekend while hooked up to 50 amp service is that when I pushed the buttons to check battery level it was only showing half the red lights, went out to pedestal and switched it to the 30 amp side went back in the camper and pushed the battery button and all red lights lit up.

Being new to this can someone tell me where the "automatic transfer switch" is located. ???

Thanks for everyone's help

Alllen

danemayer

Allen,

The transfer switch is usually located behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage, but location can vary. It's not too far from the main circuit breaker panel.

If you have a problem with neutral, voltage can be high on one leg and low on the other. When using a 30 amp receptacle, since both legs are the same, I don't believe the neutral problem shows up.

It might be helpful to take voltage readings at several places in the coach when the problem shows up.

With a neutral problem, the load placed on the power legs will affect the voltage variance.