PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Traveler

NewHopians
12-04-2016, 12:16 AM
Just purchased a 2017 Big Horn Traveler 37SS, Has any body had experience with the Traveler 5th wheel

jimtoo
12-04-2016, 01:14 AM
Hi NewHopians,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club (https://heartlandowners.org/club/). Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

JohnD
12-04-2016, 02:24 AM
The Traveler is a brand new line from Bighorn, so haven't had too many here in the chats yet.

MP_CS
12-04-2016, 07:50 AM
Congratulations on the new traveler. Thats a new line from heartland but would expect its just as nice a quality as the rest of their brands. I know its going to get seroius consideration from us when its our time to upgrade.

dkelly243
12-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Just purchased a 2017 Big Horn Traveler 37SS, Has any body had experience with the Traveler 5th wheel

Just purchased the same exact model. I wanted the BH3875FB model but it was out of my price range. This seems like a lot of coach for the money. Hope you enjoy yours.

NewHopians
12-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Thanks We pick it up tomorrow and can't wait to get it own the road dkelly243 what do you pull yours with. Any issues so far?

dkelly243
12-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks We pick it up tomorrow and can't wait to get it own the road dkelly243 what do you pull yours with. Any issues so far?
Don't pick mine up until the 20th. I will be towing with a 2016 f350 srw.

NewHopians
12-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Okay, I will picking it up in Tucson and towing with a F250 6.7 diesel crew cab long bed. Congrats on the new rig.

Harvinator
01-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Congrats,

Looking at the same unit. Please keep us updated on your experience once you get to use it.

Have a great day!

dkelly243
01-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Congrats,

Looking at the same unit. Please keep us updated on your experience once you get to use it.

Have a great day!

Taking mine out this weekend for its maiden voyage. Hopefully all goes well.

NewHopians
03-26-2017, 08:14 PM
Finally got the Big Horn out on a trip. Went from Sierra Vista AZ to Williams and then to Page AZ. Pulled great with my 2015 F250 6.7 Diesel Long Bed with Super Springs 3000lb over stock springs. No issues getting there but, when we got to Page AZ the A/C and Heater would not work and showed a E1 error code. Google is great found to be a loose connection where the thermostat wasn't communicating with the mother board in roof top unit. Opened up vent cover over sink and found a wire had come loose from one of the wire nuts. Re-secured the wire but realized that we had to unplug the communications and power to the unit to reset the thermostat. Found that you can't leave much on the couch or chairs as they bounce off during travel. Had something get caught at the dining slide and had to stop and pick stuff off the floor before opening the slides all the way. Had the dining slide right facia panel with the lights in it come loose so, ave to take it in to La Mesa. The bathroom sink faucet also makes a really load squeaking noise when only the hot water is turned on. But, no major issues noted. Coming back into Flagstaff AZ ran into snow and then going down Highway 17 to Phoenix ran into snow and icy roads. The 37SS stayed good on road and tracked good behind the truck. A little bounce in the wind but wasn't worried about it. How are you doing with your 37SS.

dkelly243
03-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Finally got the Big Horn out on a trip. Went from Sierra Vista AZ to Williams and then to Page AZ. Pulled great with my 2015 F250 6.7 Diesel Long Bed with Super Springs 3000lb over stock springs. No issues getting there but, when we got to Page AZ the A/C and Heater would not work and showed a E1 error code. Google is great found to be a loose connection where the thermostat wasn't communicating with the mother board in roof top unit. Opened up vent cover over sink and found a wire had come loose from one of the wire nuts. Re-secured the wire but realized that we had to unplug the communications and power to the unit to reset the thermostat. Found that you can't leave much on the couch or chairs as they bounce off during travel. Had something get caught at the dining slide and had to stop and pick stuff off the floor before opening the slides all the way. Had the dining slide right facia panel with the lights in it come loose so, ave to take it in to La Mesa. The bathroom sink faucet also makes a really load squeaking noise when only the hot water is turned on. But, no major issues noted. Coming back into Flagstaff AZ ran into snow and then going down Highway 17 to Phoenix ran into snow and icy roads. The 37SS stayed good on road and tracked good behind the truck. A little bounce in the wind but wasn't worried about it. How are you doing with your 37SS.

Wife and I have been on 3 trips so far. Total of 10 days of camping and about 1800 miles. So far the only problem we've had (knock on wood) is the leveling system. Had to get the breaker replaced, it would shut of a few times when auto leveling or retracting. We love the layout and the quality seems ok. Going to Fort Wilderness the end of April for 4 days.

NewHopians
04-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Duane sounds like a great time. Our next big trip is to West Yellowtone , Montana for about 10 days with our kids in July. 359 days to retirement and then hope to get it on the road more. Keep on RVing.

Ducky
04-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Took our BHTR32RS out this past weekend to Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, AZ. Pulled up the hill out of Black Canyon City like a champ. No major issues for this maiden voyage other than the light in the closet would not come on, one clip off came off on shower doors (but didn't have any broken glass fortunately) and light in refrigerator has a mind of its own. Once camp was set up we had 30-35 mph winds and rain but it stood the test, no leaks found. Very happy with our investment.

Harvinator
04-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Glad to hear all the positive input. We are going to be ordering a 32RS next week.
Has anyone considered changing out the factory tires? Being new at this and al the reading I have done I have some tire concerns.
Have a great day,
Don

cookie
04-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Has anyone considered changing out the factory tires? Being new at this and al the reading I have done I have some tire concerns.
Don
I would wait to see what brand tires your new rig will come with. If it has the Sailun brand tires they are good.

Peace
Dave

WBG
04-05-2017, 07:32 PM
I would wait to see what brand tires your new rig will come with. If it has the Sailun brand tires they are good.

Peace
Dave

I too have heard that Sailun tires are very good. We had Blow Max (aka Tire max) tires and changed them out (after two very scary blowouts) for Goodyear G-614, which are excellent! I have found that Sailun's are not readily available in the PNW (unless you want to go to Canada to get them).

LBR
04-05-2017, 08:00 PM
I too have heard that Sailun tires are very good. We had Blow Max (aka Tire max) tires and changed them out (after two very scary blowouts) for Goodyear G-614, which are excellent! I have found that Sailun's are not readily available in the PNW (unless you want to go to Canada to get them).
Browse thru www.simpletire.com website for Sailun tires

mlpeloquin
04-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Had a friend's Big Country have a blowout with the Tow Max. I warned him and he would not listen. He was able to fine the Sailun on the road at a tire dealer in the North Bay area. The Sailun tires look good. I have the GoodYear G614's which are great.

coastalgirl61
06-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Just purchased this 5th wheel in May and we are smitten. We did a lot of research on the inner and outer components of several 5th wheels before buying this unit. We love the hydraulic slides and self leveling system. The cabinetry is first class with polished outer doors and hidden hinges. For those who travel distances from home, having the double 4 drawer chest makes packing a breeze. The closet has lots of space and the closet with the washer/dryer hookups works for additional hanging items such as coats, etc., is handy. We use it to storel aundry hamp. This camper has tons of storage, central vac system, deep under carraige storage and more. The look is sleek and attractive with the framless windows and tasteful graphics. I cannot say enough good things about it but will be looking for post on this camper in case someone is having issues with theirs that would be beneficial to me.

terribruce
06-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Well congratulations to all these Bighorn Travelers!! Being new to the line of Bighorns, and not being able to see one yet,
makes it more desirable to go check it out. :) Safe travels to you all.

Terri

rmn72
06-26-2017, 10:16 PM
If everything goes as planned, we are trading our SOB(some other brand!) in on a 37ss in about 3 weeks.

SNOKING
06-26-2017, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the forum/site:

Looks like according to Heartlands web site that the 37SS comes with E rated ST tires. If they are Tow Max I would think about replacing them ASP. Goodyear has a new ST named the Endurance which might be a good choice or better yet put Sailun S367 all steel ply tires on them.

Larry_7
11-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Hello everyone, we are also considering the 37SS. Any new opinions? Would probably prefer a Bighorn but not sure thats in our budget. I know some of the differences. I know you lose the g rated tires, power cord reel, interior ceiling woodwork, rear cap, anything else you can think of? One concern is the AC system. Is it the same "whisper quiet" AC as the Bighorn? Our SOB air conditioner is obnoxiously loud.

rmn72
11-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Just changed our load range E tires out to load range G last month. We feel a lot more secure. Got a great deal from Discount Tire

TravelTiger
11-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Hello everyone, we are also considering the 37SS. Any new opinions? Would probably prefer a Bighorn but not sure thats in our budget. I know some of the differences. I know you lose the g rated tires, power cord reel, interior ceiling woodwork, rear cap, anything else you can think of? One concern is the AC system. Is it the same "whisper quiet" AC as the Bighorn? Our SOB air conditioner is obnoxiously loud.

If you look at the difference in price between a Bighorn and a Traveler, that's the "amenities" they cut out. The Traveler is below the Gateway line.

You have to look carefully at the specs -- For example, it lists a 35K BTU furnace for Traveler, vs 42 BTU for Bighorn. The Traveler has standard RV windows, the BigHorn has frameless windows. The Traveler has MCD Night roller shades, BighHorn has MCD Day/Night roller shades, just to name a few not so noticeable differences.

Not to say it is a bad choice! Just know that the Traveler Line has the LOOK of a Bighorn, but not all the bells and whistles.

Larry_7
11-05-2017, 04:23 AM
If you look at the difference in price between a Bighorn and a Traveler, that's the "amenities" they cut out. The Traveler is below the Gateway line.

You have to look carefully at the specs -- For example, it lists a 35K BTU furnace for Traveler, vs 42 BTU for Bighorn. The Traveler has standard RV windows, the BigHorn has frameless windows. The Traveler has MCD Night roller shades, BighHorn has MCD Day/Night roller shades, just to name a few not so noticeable differences.

Not to say it is a bad choice! Just know that the Traveler Line has the LOOK of a Bighorn, but not all the bells and whistles.

Thank you. That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to put together. Might as well throw Big Country in the mix as well. I think we're looking at all 3. I believe we like the BH 3575EL, the BHTR 37SS, the BC 3650RL, and the BC 3560SS.

Razorbackfan
11-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Thank you. That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to put together. Might as well throw Big Country in the mix as well. I think we're looking at all 3. I believe we like the BH 3575EL, the BHTR 37SS, the BC 3650RL, and the BC 3560SS.

Dont forget to take a look at year or two old ones as well. RVs depreciate super fast so the higher trim in a 14 or 15 might be budget friendly and someone else has worked the bugs out. Just have it inspected first.

Larry_7
11-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Dont forget to take a look at year or two old ones as well. RVs depreciate super fast so the higher trim in a 14 or 15 might be budget friendly and someone else has worked the bugs out. Just have it inspected first.Yes I'd be open to that. So far I haven't seen one close enough to me to investigate. This new one will be our 4th so trust me I understand the depreciation factor. We have a 15 SOB fiver. We tried to save a buck when we bought it and it's not living up to expectations. For that reason I think I'm leary of the traveler. I know I want a BH or BC. I believe when the time is right I'll spend the money to get what I want. For now I'm going to read and learn all I can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TravelTiger
11-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Yes I'd be open to that. So far I haven't seen one close enough to me to investigate. This new one will be our 4th so trust me I understand the depreciation factor. We have a 15 SOB fiver. We tried to save a buck when we bought it and it's not living up to expectations. For that reason I think I'm leary of the traveler. I know I want a BH or BC. I believe when the time is right I'll spend the money to get what I want. For now I'm going to read and learn all I can.

For the money, the Big Country is a great coach with lots of amenities over the Traveler. Right now they have the same cabinetry as a Landmark. The differences between Big Country and BigHorn are not quite as noticeable (in talking differences besides decor), but are there with careful study. We compared our plan with similar in BigHorn and found we could live with the differences. We preferred the BC decor over BH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry_7
11-05-2017, 11:21 PM
For the money, the Big Country is a great coach with lots of amenities over the Traveler. Right now they have the same cabinetry as a Landmark. The differences between Big Country and BigHorn are not quite as noticeable (in talking differences besides decor), but are there with careful study. We compared our plan with similar in BigHorn and found we could live with the differences. We preferred the BC decor over BH.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThinking we like the BH 3575EL and the BC 3650RL. Have not seen them in person. From what I can tell it seems the BH EL has 7' high slides compared to 6'4" in BC. Not a deal breaker, correct me if I'm wrong. Also it appears BH offers a dinette slide awning as an option. That is intriguing. BH also lists 4 shocks, wondering if they really work to smooth out the ride. And there is an extra closet in the master of the BH. Seems to be about $4000 difference at MSRP including the second awning. Both seem to offer a heat pump option which we have now and would want again. Thank you for all your replies. I feel like I'm hijacking this thread as I seem to be moving away from the Traveler so I will eventually start a new thread with my BH and BC questions.

Shortest Straw
11-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Thinking we like the BH 3575EL and the BC 3650RL. Have not seen them in person. From what I can tell it seems the BH EL has 7' high slides compared to 6'4" in BC. Not a deal breaker, correct me if I'm wrong. Also it appears BH offers a dinette slide awning as an option. That is intriguing. BH also lists 4 shocks, wondering if they really work to smooth out the ride. And there is an extra closet in the master of the BH. Seems to be about $4000 difference at MSRP including the second awning. Both seem to offer a heat pump option which we have now and would want again. Thank you for all your replies. I feel like I'm hijacking this thread as I seem to be moving away from the Traveler so I will eventually start a new thread with my BH and BC questions.

We looked at quite a few models of the BH traveler. They do seem to be a pretty nice rig but just not for us. We also looked at the Bighorns and didn't walk through a model that felt like home. We found a BC we just had to have and it is working out for us very nicely. This rig is the first we have had with shocks on it and we feel it smooths out the ride a bunch. We did not notice much of a difference between the BH and the BC.

SNOKING
11-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Thinking we like the BH 3575EL and the BC 3650RL. Have not seen them in person. From what I can tell it seems the BH EL has 7' high slides compared to 6'4" in BC. Not a deal breaker, correct me if I'm wrong. Also it appears BH offers a dinette slide awning as an option. That is intriguing. BH also lists 4 shocks, wondering if they really work to smooth out the ride. And there is an extra closet in the master of the BH. Seems to be about $4000 difference at MSRP including the second awning. Both seem to offer a heat pump option which we have now and would want again. Thank you for all your replies. I feel like I'm hijacking this thread as I seem to be moving away from the Traveler so I will eventually start a new thread with my BH and BC questions.

We really like our BH3575el. The high ceiling and large window are great. We love the butlers pantry area and the fact that 3 or the 4 refer doors can be opened with the slides in. We have more or less lived in it for the last year and find that it works well for that. We have two awnings and use both. The coffered ceiling is nice also.

Chris

roundaboutreeds
06-02-2018, 10:22 AM
We have a 2017 Bighorn Traveler 37SS and love it. We are fulltimers and it met all our needs. The slide in a slide in the bedroom makes for a great bedroom.We have plenty of room for the two of us to move around together.

rmn72
06-19-2018, 10:47 AM
We have been in our 37SS for about a year and we love it. We did not find another rig anywhere with the huge bedroom and we love it. Of course, we have made a few mods like adding shelves in the pantry to make it our own.