New Tires for My Tow Vehicle

sidney dreyfus

I currently have General AmerTrac 235/80/R17 LT tires on my TV. My tire dealer suggests flipping over to Goodyear Wrangler SRA 245/75/17 LT tires. Should I stay with General or make the change? What do you think?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have Ameritracs on my Chevy and they seem okay. I would compare the overall diameter to see if there was a major difference. I certainly wouldn't want a taller tire to reduce my mileage and speedo reading. Will the rears touch when you're loaded? Check how the A B C ratings compare. That's my quarters worth.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I to am getting ready for a new set the Bridgestone Revo and Michelin LTX tires seem to get the best ratings and am leaning toward the Revo's. I had the GY Wranglers, think they are junk in my opinion ,got no wear out of them. I guess like any other subject on tires ,they are a matter of choice an brand .....Kenny

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Sidney, my TV has the same brand and size of tires that yours has any my 5er is very similar. I've got 21K on the truck - about 1/3 towing and tires are performing well - don't even show wear. I do have a six-tire rotation done each 6-7K interval - I do think rotation definitely helps.

Don't know why your tire dealer is recommending a change, unless your tires are worn and need replacing. My '03 Dodge had Michilins and I was disappointed at first when the '06 did not come with them, but I really can't complain.

The fellow that bought my '03 still hasn't replaced the tires as yet and they have over 80K on them, so, if you need new tires, you may want to consider Michilins.

StevieWonder

Over the years I've used Goodyear, BFG, Michelin, General, Continental and Yokohama. The only major failure I've had is with the General's which came as OEM on my Ford F350 dually. The tread separated at about 8000 miles just outside Grant, NM and it destroyed the dually fender well which General refused to pay for.

On a value basis NOTHING has been close to my Yokohama's. Bullet proof and very reasonably priced. They would be my first choice and Michelin would be my second choice.

BJ'sDad

I took the OEM Michelins off my Ram when they had 45K on them, they were terrible on wet roads IMO. Got a set of Goodyear Silent Armor's, they are the best wet weather tire I've had yet. Even with my Cummins cranked up and nothing in the bed I can barely get them to lose traction on a wet road. Little more road noise on concrete than the Michelins, but I'll put up with a little noise for peace of mind in the rain and snow. IIRC, they were even a few bucks each cheaper than the Michelins.

Got nearly 10K miles on them with about 3K towing and they show no wear at all.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Goodyear Wrangler SRA cup bad on the steer axle. Never got good wear out of Goodyear tires on anything and only had them when they were OEM on several trucks over the years, small pickups, big pickups and Semi trucks.

Have 2 Goodyear SRA tires left on this truck that were on it when I bought it 4 months ago and they are cupping like crazy. Will be putting Firestone Transforce HTs on it in a few months to match the drives. Transforce wear well.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
The fellow that bought my '03 still hasn't replaced the tires as yet and they have over 80K on them, so, if you need new tires, you may want to consider Michelins.

Saw the fellow today that bought my '03 and he finally changed tires at 91K. When he bought it from me, he swore when the time came, he would never consider Michelins. Found out he couldn't argue with 91K and bought a new set of Michelins. He has 97K on the truck now - figures it will be broken in after this year.