Fender Skirt Replacements

RKDAVE

I need to replace the fender skirts on my 2011 Big Horn. The plastic around the screw holes cracked on both sides of my fifth wheel. I'm not sure if this is a design flaw as I've seen other posts from other people that have addressed this issue before.

With this said, does anyone have any recommendations for replacement parts? I've seen ICON Industries website who sell the replacement parts. Has anyone used this company? I'm pretty certain Heartland will not offer to replace them as a good will gesture.

I would appreciate any thoughts and comments on this subject....:cool:

LBR

Seems to me that a design flaw would show up earlier in it's life...yours being built in 2010 and seeing 6-7 years of UV rays, expansion/contraction, and road irregularities makes me wonder about the plastic just gracefully aging?

Garypowell

After 2 Bighorn units it seems to me they are all like this. I have used white washers to reinforce the area. If you look close you can see them but they do the trick.

mlpeloquin

Some have had cracking around the mounting screws within a year. I caught mine when only at one screw head had crack under it. I found that a support was missing. It was under warranty and at my request Heartland sent me the support. Could not see replacing the skirt with such a small crack that you can barely see. None of the others have cracked and the small crack has not enlarged with the support added. Movement seems to be the cause of early cracking. With time, UV rays, and heat the plasticizers leach out and the plastic becomes brittle and will crack. Icon Technologies does make replacement skirts and many other plastic replacement parts for RV's. I read an article in Trailer Life and the fender skirts for that trailer cost $159.00 each with 10% off for ordering two. No amount was given for shipping. With Heartland you will have an exact fit. The article said to predrill the mounting holes to prevent possible cracking even if self drilling/tapping screws are used.

WillyBill

Some have had cracking around the mounting screws within a year. I caught mine when only at one screw head had crack under it. I found that a support was missing. It was under warranty and at my request Heartland sent me the support. Could not see replacing the skirt with such a small crack that you can barely see. None of the others have cracked and the small crack has not enlarged with the support added. Movement seems to be the cause of early cracking. With time, UV rays, and heat the plasticizers leach out and the plastic becomes brittle and will crack. Icon Technologies does make replacement skirts and many other plastic replacement parts for RV's. I read an article in Trailer Life and the fender skirts for that trailer cost $159.00 each with 10% off for ordering two. No amount was given for shipping. With Heartland you will have an exact fit. The article said to predrill the mounting holes to prevent possible cracking even if self drilling/tapping screws are used.

@mlpeloquin,

What material are the supports made of? Do they go from bottom of skirts to other structure or do they go under the screws behind the skirts?

Thanks,

WB

RKDAVE

After 2 Bighorn units it seems to me they are all like this. I have used white washers to reinforce the area. If you look close you can see them but they do the trick.

Thanks Gary! When I replace the fender skirts I'll add the washers.

- - - Updated - - -

@mlpeloquin,

What material are the supports made of? Do they go from bottom of skirts to other structure or do they go under the screws behind the skirts?

Thanks,

WB

Hi Bill, I read that article in this months trailer life as well. I would also prefer the exact replacements rather than after market products. We traveled a rough highway going up to Flagstaff a couple of months ago. That's probably when the damage was done. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

@mlpeloquin,

Thanks,

WB

My supports are made out of aluminum. They go from the bottom of the fender skirt to the frame. I'm thinking the damage came from a trip to Sedona,AZ a couple of months ago. Highway 40 between Needles and Flagstaff were terrible! Ruts everywhere for miles! Thanks for responding! I'm going to contact Heartland and see if I can purchase them directly from the factory.

wdk450

These skirts are industry-wide underdesigned for down-the-road wind induced vibration. I used to be able to see one of my wheel skirts vibrating from the wind as I went down the road, through my truck mirrors.

Reducing skirt vibration is the primary fix. Wiggle the skirt to see how easily it vibrates and where the major vibration points are. Think about epoxying metal stiffeners to the back of the skirt. Make sure the side support strut to the frame is in place and solid. Maybe get a thin aluminum strip and epoxy it in place behind the screw line strip, and drill holes to go with the plastic skirt holes. Finish up with washers under the screw heads to spread out the plastic hole stress area.

RKDAVE

These skirts are industry-wide underdesigned for down-the-road wind induced vibration. I used to be able to see one of my wheel skirts vibrating from the wind as I went down the road, through my truck mirrors.

Reducing skirt vibration is the primary fix. Wiggle the skirt to see how easily it vibrates and where the major vibration points are. Think about epoxying metal stiffeners to the back of the skirt. Make sure the side support strut to the frame is in place and solid. Maybe get a thin aluminum strip and epoxy it in place behind the screw line strip, and drill holes to go with the plastic skirt holes. Finish up with washers under the screw heads to spread out the plastic hole stress area.

It's funny that you mention seeing the skirts vibrate as your driving down the road. I was on the highway last weekend and saw a Gateway Fifth Wheel whose fender skirt was vibrating like crazy. I really like you're idea about epoxying metal strips on the underside of the fender skirts. That can only help with the vibration issue. Thank you!!

ThomasT

We had the same issue in a 08 Bighorn. There were aluminum stiffeners but they were strap aluminum with no triangulation which just allowed skirt and stiffener to wobble together.
I replaced the straps with a T-bar type aluminum and fixed them at a slight angle to form a small triangle. That did the trick.

Abear79

It's funny that you mention seeing the skirts vibrate as your driving down the road. I was on the highway last weekend and saw a Gateway Fifth Wheel whose fender skirt was vibrating like crazy. I really like you're idea about epoxying metal strips on the underside of the fender skirts. That can only help with the vibration issue. Thank you!!

I was thinking of doing that. I been through 4 skirts and almost time to replace another. In addition to the strips, I was also thinking about adding rubber washer. Do you think it would help or no?

avvidclif

Mine has a metal brace that goes from the bottom middle of the fender skirt to the frame. No vibration. Reminds me one fell off and needs to be replaced.

RKDAVE

Mine has a metal brace that goes from the bottom middle of the fender skirt to the frame. No vibration. Reminds me one fell off and needs to be replaced.

I lost one of the braces as well a couple of years ago. I went to Home Depot and purchased a metal strip and tweaked it so it would fit. You can purchase them from Heartland for $5.50 each. I ordered new fender skirts and brackets from them this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking of doing that. I been through 4 skirts and almost time to replace another. In addition to the strips, I was also thinking about adding rubber washer. Do you think it would help or no?

I'm no expert but I think the rubber washers would cut down the vibration...

- - - Updated - - -

@mlpeloquin,

Thanks,

WB
The brackets are made out of metal. There is one on each side. They run from the bottom middle of the skirt to the frame.

- - - Updated - - -

@mlpeloquin,

Thanks,

WB

I ordered the new fender skirts from Heartland. They charged me $52.20 each and that included shipping. It's definitely the way to go versus buying aftermarket products in my mind. I was pleasantly surprised!