Landmark Newport Roof Issues

Fulltimers

Anyone having the issue of something (nails or staples) poking up from under roof membrane along the front and rear sides? First I noticed the rear and yesterday I found the same along both front sides. The dealer wanted to replace the roof in April but Heartland wanted to pull the membrane back, redo the nails/staples and put the membrane back down. The dealer felt this would only be a temporary fix as the membrane would stretch and not lay like it did when new and would have to be replaced anyway. We have sent pictures to Heartland and waiting on a decision. Just wondering if this is an isolated issue or others having the same.

Attachments

• Resized_20170801_084932.jpg
    Resized_20170801_084932.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Resized_20170801_084918.jpg
    Resized_20170801_084918.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited by a moderator:

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: New Port Roof Issues

Reach out to Dave "Bones" Kline...I believe HL just peeled his roof back

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bones

I'll post a few pictures tonight so you can see how the metal panels are put on. I took pictures while it was pulled back.

danemayer

If Heartland was talking about peeling the membrane up at the side, that might not be NEARLY as invasive as a full roof replacement. When the full roof membrane is replaced, you typically end up with a seam at the front and rear caps. Everything on the roof has to be removed, then remounted, and resealed. And when the rubber membrane is pulled up in a replacement, there's a very good chance the underlying luan will be damaged and may also have to be replaced.

Fulltimers

If Heartland was talking about peeling the membrane up at the side, that might not be NEARLY as invasive as a full roof replacement. When the full roof membrane is replaced, you typically end up with a seam at the front and rear caps. Everything on the roof has to be removed, then remounted, and resealed. And when the rubber membrane is pulled up in a replacement, there's a very good chance the underlying luan will be damaged and may also have to be replaced.

Thanks for the info, it does make sense. The only way I would feel good about a full replacement is if it were done at the factory service center.

VMODON

first are the cross members aluminum and how are the sheets of wood attached to the roof? screws ect? Thanks I have issues too

rmeyer

Just spent as fortune getting my roof repaired. All the staples pulled out. Heartland said it was a couple hour repair. 22 hours labor to repair. Staples used at factory were not long enough. Heartland will not do anything about it because trailer is out of warranty. Seems that the roof should stay attached if applied correctly at factory. Repair facility has a no time limit warranty.

danemayer

Just spent as fortune getting my roof repaired. All the staples pulled out. Heartland said it was a couple hour repair. 22 hours labor to repair. Staples used at factory were not long enough. Heartland will not do anything about it because trailer is out of warranty. Seems that the roof should stay attached if applied correctly at factory. Repair facility has a no time limit warranty.

Sorry to hear you had an expensive problem. Is your trailer actually a 2012 model? Did the problem just recently show up?

rmeyer

Oct. 2016 roof was OK. Jan. 2017 all staples pulled out. It was built in 2011. Took delivery Sept. 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VMODON

Mine is 2017 took delivery in May 2016. Found bulging all down both sides. dealers says they will restaple, but when you watch the Heartland factory video tour it looks like the roof braces are all aluminum. So whats to staple? I have the Sundance XLT.

danemayer

Oct. 2016 roof was OK. Jan. 2017 all staples pulled out. It was built in 2011. Took delivery Sept. 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seems like if the problem was just short staples that it would have shown up a lot earlier.