Hitch for back of 5th Wheel

I have a 43' 8" long 2017 bighorn and I planning to install a hitch on the back to the rv to hold a 30 lbs cargo tray and a 225 lbs generator. My question is: The back of the fifth wheel are able to hold a 255 lbs plus the weight of the hitch may be another 60 to 70 lbs ?

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

Re: Fifth wheel hitch

After you have a 2" receiver hitch welded to your frame to even consider handling that weight, the thought of it bouncing that far behind the axels seems rough on the frame. We used to haul our Yeti on a rear cargo carrier and it was so rough my beers would explode. I'd feel better pulling a small trailer back there before adding that much more weight to the rear of the frame. And, there is no way I'd pull a trailer back there. But, that's just me. Good luck in our endeavor.

pegmikef

FWIW my old North Trail had what looked to be a very sturdy slide out cargo tray (factory installed). Each side was two by two square tubing that slid into long square tubing welded to the frame and it locked in place with pins. It was only rated for 150 pounds I think. It was a lot stronger than what you will achieve just welding a two inch receiver to the frame. Just sayin . . . .

Tank you all for your comments, I think to tow a small trailer begand my fifth wheel is a good idea

Thanks again.

SNOKING

Might be cheaper(?) or better to do a normal generator installation in the front compartment. Chris