Who can do an inspection???

Schroncc

Hello all,

My wife and I recently put a deposit down on a 2013 Bighorn 36TB pending an inspection, the only problem is we cannot find anyone to do the inspection 😳. No dealer mechanics will come onto the lot and we are having a hard time locating any mobile mechanics that do inspections.

My question to you all: anyone have any recommendations in NE Ohio? If we cannot find anyone any recommendations on what we really need to check out?

Thanks in advance!

Cameron

danemayer

Hi Schroncc,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Hopefully someone in your area will have an idea of who might be able to help.

There's a pretty comprehensive Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist made by one of owners. Even if you do find someone to inspect it, this is a good checklist to go through before signing on the dotted line. It's about half way down in this folder.

Gary521

Are you familiar with RVing or are you new at it?

- - - Updated - - -
Are you mechanically inclined or mechanically challenged?

rxbristol

Thanks for the link. Closest inspector is 80 miles away. I will keep looking. Thanks

Eighty miles is pretty close and it could be money well spent if you want a great inspection. RV dealerships are known to rush inspections and make it difficult for you to throughly inspect everything you want. They will tell you not to worry and bring it back for warranty repairs...it's at that time they will put you on the back burner, you'll wait weeks and months and then all things still won't get repaired.

Garypowell

If you can't find a pro.....maybe a good friend who is mechanical. Just having another set of eyes that is not emotionally involved would be a great benefit.

Work independent from each other...at the end compare notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Schroncc

Eighty miles is pretty close and it could be money well spent if you want a great inspection. RV dealerships are known to rush inspections and make it difficult for you to throughly inspect everything you want. They will tell you not to worry and bring it back for warranty repairs...it's at that time they will put you on the back burner, you'll wait weeks and months and then all things still won't get repaired.

Funny, the dealer is really pushing us on the inspection😂 My wife actually found someone. Is it a sign that something might be wrong or is this just a common practice at dealerships?

danemayer

Funny, the dealer is really pushing us on the inspection😂 My wife actually found someone. Is it a sign that something might be wrong or is this just a common practice at dealerships?

People sell or trade their RVs for many reasons. Sometimes they have personal issues that prevent travel. Sometimes they decide they are tired of travel. Sometimes they want to upgrade trailers. Sometimes they want to avoid paying to fix an expensive problem. You have no way of knowing what the motivation was.

Your dealer may be selling this coach "As Is", without any warranty. If next month you discover an expensive problem that you think the dealer might have known about but chose not to disclose, you might argue that they should have known. But if you had an independent inspector check the coach and he found nothing wrong, the dealer could point to your inspection.

Or maybe they're confident that the trailer is in good shape and just want you to be confident too.