2018 PI287 5th wheel question regarding weight/max capacity

EarlGately

Where will I find the details about weight for my trailer. It is a PI287 5th wheel and I am now shopping for a new tow vehicle. Two weeks ago my 2004 Ford F350 dually gave up the ghost (I am told I lost two cylinders and it was likely due to a faulty EGR valve). It would cost more to repair it than it is worth. I am shopping now, but not sure just how big I have to go. Will a newer Dodge 2500 do the job? Or a Nissan Titan? Any thoughts or suggestions. Sadly, I am limited to a grand total all in price of around 30k.

danemayer

Hi Earl,

Here's the Heartlandrvs.com page for the PI287.

The page doesn't provide a GVWR, but you probably have a label on the front, off-door-side of the trailer that shows GVWR along with tire size, etc. The GVWR is the maximum loaded weight the trailer is rated for. And most of us are close to GVWR when towing.

I'd guess yours is going to be around 10,000 lbs. To help you while shopping for trucks, consult Fifth Wheel Safe Towing. It'll help you match the towing and payload capacity of a particular truck, to your trailer.

Dry Weight
8,334 lbs​

Hitch Weight
1,630 lbs​

Height
11' 10"​

Length
31' 3"​

Fresh Water
47 gal​

Gray Water
80 gal​

Black Water
40 gal​

Awning Length
14'​

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
Yea buddy, the old lovely 6.0 powerstroke. I had an EGR cooler blow out and dead injectors in my 2005 F550.
If your looking for a diesel and outfitted well your budget is probably going to keep you in older trucks or higher mileage. I just sold my 2012 F350 King Ranch dually with 100k miles for 34k couple months ago. But you might run across a gem if your looking hard or get a more base model.
good luck on your search though, there are deals out there to be found.

edit, I just looked at your weights on that trailer and you could get a good gas burner that would tow that fine and get more truck for your money.

EarlGately

Well, we got ourselves a 2011 Ram 3500 short bed. I had to acquire a slider hitch for it. I tested it in our storage lot without the slider and the trailer kissed the back of my cab, leaving a mark to remind me to always move the trailer back to the maneuvering position when we reach a campground or are parking at our storage lot. It handles well. We took the truck and trailer on their first outing together to Wine Ridge RV Resort in Pahrump, Nevada over the Easter weekend. Everything worked out well. And I started those touches to make the RV ours, such as hanging up a towel bar and a toilet paper roller in the bath and attaching a television mount in the master bedroom (done, done and done.)

- - - Updated - - -

100_6502.jpg

'Lil Guy'

I'd look for a used Ram 2500 with the diesel. Really miss mine since moving up to the 3500. If you shop, you can get a good deal on one. Doesn't have to be a ram, just my choice. The 3/4 ton would be plenty of truck to haul that rig.

EarlGately

I'd look for a used Ram 2500 with the diesel. Really miss mine since moving up to the 3500. If you shop, you can get a good deal on one. Doesn't have to be a ram, just my choice. The 3/4 ton would be plenty of truck to haul that rig.

Funny thing was we were looking for a month. We had our sights on a RAM 2500, but all that was in the market were 1500's and I knew that wouldn't handle it. And nothing was a long bed except for the duallies, which my wife refuses to drive anymore (too difficult in narrow spaces for her). Finally found a dealer with the 3500 I have now. So far, so good. I am having a radio/speaker issue (short) but otherwise it works like a charm, and drinks heavily. It took nearly all of my 30 gallons to travel 350 miles or so. If I ever do get the chance, I may trade it in for a 2500, but only time will tell.