PDA

View Full Version : Yea! Upgraded our "RVLOCK" - No code needed to lock now!!

Oregon_Camper
11-16-2017, 12:44 PM
The one thing that bugged us about our after-market lock from RVLOCK was having to enter our code every time we wanted to lock the door rather than just push the lock button.

UPDATE --> I was originally told by RVLOCK only a few versions required both boards to be replace, but RVLOCK contacted me and asked I update this post to inform everyone that two boards are needed for all locks...cost is ~$20.

We can now touch the lock icon without using our code, to lock our door!

You can read more and watch the video on how to change one of the circuit boards on your lock if you'd like this functionality too.

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/single-post/2017/11/16/No-Lock-Code-Needed---RVLOCK-Upgrade

If you don't already have this aftermarket lock on your RV...then you should consider this change.
Link to RVLOCK on Amazon (http://amzn.to/2zrU7Vz)

Alan_B
11-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Thanks for putting together this video Jim. This is a definite improvement over the standard RV Lock.

One other improvement opportunity: The RV Lock still uses the RV industry master key for the door lock (not the deadbolt). Perhaps another upgrade would be swapping that for a unique lock.

Thanks again.

TravelTiger
11-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Thanks for sharing, may want to do this! Do they have them for the slam baggage doors too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole
11-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Great update. The electric locks on the house work this way.

Oregon_Camper
11-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Thanks for putting together this video Jim. This is a definite improvement over the standard RV Lock.

One other improvement opportunity: The RV Lock still uses the RV industry master key for the door lock (not the deadbolt). Perhaps another upgrade would be swapping that for a unique lock..

Glad to help... :)

Regarding the same master key, I only have 1 key for our RVLOCK and it works on the main lock and the deadbolt. I don't see how this could be the master key you're referring to.

Now, I know for sure the lock on by front storage and power cord reel door DO use that darn lock/key everyone has. :(

porthole
11-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Do you have to reprogram the lock?

Oregon_Camper
11-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Do you have to reprogram the lock?

Yes, however that only takes about 15 seconds.

You hold down the #8 and "Lock" icon for 2 seconds....until you hear a "beep".

Enter factory default code 1-2-3-4...then "lock" icon.

Enter new code & then "lock" icon. Done.

Dang it...now that you asked, I realized I should have shown that in the video. I'm still new to this Blog/Vlog thing...but I'm learning. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing, may want to do this! Do they have them for the slam baggage doors too?

Not sure...but I would have to lean toward saying yes, as those slam baggage locks look very similar. Just give them a call...they are VERY helpful.

Silverado23
11-16-2017, 03:02 PM

One other improvement opportunity: The RV Lock still uses the RV industry master key for the door lock (not the deadbolt). Perhaps another upgrade would be swapping that for a unique lock.

Thanks again.

Could you just order a new - Non-master cylinder to replace the master lock cylinder?

RoadJunkie
11-16-2017, 04:59 PM
I don't know if the OP ran into the same information as I did, but RV Lock told me today that you need both the new circuit board and a new touch-key pad. With shipping the mod is almost $20, ~$9 for each part. Maybe the need for a keypad is model dependent? Slam door baggage lock modifications are not yet available.

Oregon_Camper
11-16-2017, 05:42 PM
I don't know if the OP ran into the same information as I did, but RV Lock told me today that you need both the new circuit board and a new touch-key pad. With shipping the mode is almost $20, ~$9 for each part. Maybe the need for a keypad is model dependent? Slam door baggage lock modifications are not yet available.

I was told the keypad replacement was model specific and most would not need it. However mine did need the keypad replaced, but I didn't show that in the video, due to RVLOCK telling me it was a low number that would need it.

Having said that, I will update the blog, stating some locks will require keypad board replaced as well. BTW...the keypad replacement adds about 3 mins to the process...very easy to do.

avvidclif
11-16-2017, 10:25 PM
I'm in for this as putting in the code to both lock and unlock is kinda bizarre.... Now to contact them for the upgrade.

Hockster
11-17-2017, 08:10 AM
I have to replace the keypad also.
I purchased mine at the Virginia rally, so it's an older one.
The parts are on order, $21.97 total.

Hockster

Rottiesmom
11-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Unless I'm missing something here if you only hit an icon to lock and unlock where is your security for your unit?

murry135
11-17-2017, 09:25 AM
Why not just use your fobe if you dont want to enter 4 numbers?
:confused:

TravelTiger
11-17-2017, 09:28 AM
I believe it's only the lock function reduced to one button, not the unlock function.

RoadJunkie
11-17-2017, 11:08 AM

Key fobs are convenient, but I don't trust them to unknowingly lock/unlock the door when in your pocket. I have squatted with key fobs in my pocket and the truck locks, beeps, and leaves me wondering what the true state of the lock is in. But you're correct, it is an option.

Oregon_Camper
11-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Unless I'm missing something here if you only hit an icon to lock and unlock where is your security for your unit?

Only the "lock" function no longer needs a code. To "unlock" you still need to enter your code.

- - - Updated - - -

There are times I use the remote, but other times (going for hike, motorcycle ride, swimming, etc..) I just don't want the remote in my pocket. For me, just touching the "lock" icon is a lot easier.

Rottiesmom
11-17-2017, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=Oregon_Camper;571292]Only the "lock" function no longer needs a code. To "unlock" you still need to enter your code.

Ok makes sense but to me a waste of 10 bucks in my opinion a code is still needed but glad you are happy with it.

Alan_B
11-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Regarding the same master key, I only have 1 key for our RVLOCK and it works on the main lock and the deadbolt. I don't see how this could be the master key you're referring to.

Most RV doors have two locks, the handle lock and the deadbolt. The owner has one key that works both. The handle lock, if it is RV-master key compatible, also will open with the RV master key. This allows dealership personnel to access all the units with the same key (assuming the deadbolt is not locked).

In your video it is easy to tell that the RV Lock uses a master-key compatible handle lock as it has an "M" stamped into the metal. I asked RV Lock about this and they have chosen to keep their lock compatible with the RV master key. They are probably trying to get their locks used as OEM.

Oregon_Camper
11-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Most RV doors have two locks, the handle lock and the deadbolt. The owner has one key that works both. The handle lock, if it is RV-master key compatible, also will open with the RV master key. This allows dealership personnel to access all the units with the same key (assuming the deadbolt is not locked).

In your video it is easy to tell that the RV Lock uses a master-key compatible handle lock as it has an "M" stamped into the metal. I asked RV Lock about this and they have chosen to keep their lock compatible with the RV master key.

Well that clears that up...Thanks! You learn something new everyday. :)

avvidclif
11-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Parts are on order to upgrade mine. I went ahead and ordered another keypad membrane while I was at it. Total cost $33.96 Cheap enough.

Shortest Straw
11-17-2017, 02:31 PM
The one thing that bugged us about our after-market lock from RVLOCK was having to enter our code every time we wanted to lock the door rather than just push the lock button.

So I contacted RVLOCK and for $9.95 then sent us a new controller board that would allow us to just touch the lock icon to lock our door!

You can read more and watch the video on how to change the circuit board on your lock if you'd like this functionality too.

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/single-post/2017/11/16/No-Lock-Code-Needed---RVLOCK-Upgrade

If you don't already have this aftermarket lock on your RV...then you should consider this change.
Link to RVLOCK on Amazon (http://amzn.to/2zrU7Vz)

Did you not have a remote to do this?

Oregon_Camper
11-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Did you not have a remote to do this?

Of course...we have 2. :o

If you scan all the replies to this thread, you'll see the reasons why we changed.

TravelTiger
11-17-2017, 02:53 PM
We never use the remotes. I have two auto keys with bulky remotes already, plus all the other keys we have. To me the goal is to go without having to carry something to unlock the door. If we add another fob to the keychain, it gets too bulky for a pocket. [emoji15]

Shortest Straw
11-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Of course...we have 2. :o

If you scan all the replies to this thread, you'll see the reasons why we changed.

I had read everything posted before asking my question. We have a pickup we leave our keys in for excursions like you are talking about. We have an extra key in a realtor box in the propane tank storage for the times when our battery goes dead.

SNOKING
11-17-2017, 10:26 PM
RVLock said I need the key pad also. Ordered both. We have lived in the Bighorn most of the last year and go in and out a lot. So we are going to like the one push to lock. The Schlage push button locks we put on three Parkmodel doors are similar. Push the Schlage button and turn the knob CW to lock. Enter the code and turn the knob CCW to unlock. Batteries do not have to drive the dead bolt, so they last a long time.

Chris

Saburai
11-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Does anyone know if I were to purchase via Amazon.com if I'd get the latest version of the 4.0 lock with the one button locking feature?
Many thanks!

Rich

Oregon_Camper
11-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know if I were to purchase via Amazon.com if I'd get the latest version of the 4.0 lock with the one button locking feature?
Many thanks!

RichYes.... You will get the version that will already do the auto lock. Use Webcode: BLCKFRDAY17 to get 40% off on Nov 24th only.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BigJim45
11-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Yes.... You will get the version that will already do the auto lock. Use Webcode: BLCKFRDAY17 to get 40% off on Nov 24th only.

I might be wrong, but I think that to get the 40% off you need to order from the RV lock web site.

Saburai
11-22-2017, 07:53 PM
I might be wrong, but I think that to get the 40% off you need to order from the RV lock web site.

Thanks Gents! I was just about to inquire if Oregon camper was certain that the code would be valid on Amazon.

Rich

travelin2
11-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Black Friday sale for 12 hours, 40%off

http://mailchi.mp/rvlock/40-off-black-friday-sale-midnight-noon-november-24th?e=34e1538e0e

Oregon_Camper
11-22-2017, 09:12 PM
I might be wrong, but I think that to get the 40% off you need to order from the RV lock web site.We'll see on the 24th...but I don't see why you'd need a code on their own site. Of course I could wrong.....[emoji28][emoji28]

I prefer to order any I can on Amazon for the 2 day shipping (free) and their great return policy.

Aandaar
11-23-2017, 03:32 PM
Yes.... You will get the version that will already do the auto lock. Use Webcode: BLCKFRDAY17 to get 40% off on Nov 24th only.

Is the code only good for the RV Locks or can it be used for anything?

txfnp12
11-23-2017, 04:51 PM
I have the Big Country 3560SS. Do you know how thick the baggage doors are for the RV Lock replacement?

RVLockSupport
11-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Is the code only good for the RV Locks or can it be used for anything?

The BLCKFRDAY17 code is good for 40% off the entire site. This includes handles and accessories on the website.

- - - Updated - - -

Many thanks!

Rich

All current orders, on our website or through Amazon, will have the "quick lock" feature. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I have the Big Country 3560SS. Do you know how thick the baggage doors are for the RV Lock replacement?

When you add the Keyless Baggage System to the cart you can choose the option for your door thickness- less than 1", 1", or less than 1".

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the Black Friday promo is through our website only. Thanks!

avvidclif
11-23-2017, 11:06 PM
Kudos to RV Lock. I ordered the upgrade kit and also a keypad membrane. Very fast shipping and VERY reasonable. ($1.99).

Chippendale
11-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Just took advantage of the Black Friday discount (well worth the effort), ordered the V4 KPD & PCB boards and a new RH Membrane. Hope two things, first that I ordered the correct boards and two, that the installation is "geezer friendly". Guess it would be a good idea to also replace the batteries with new ones while I have it apart.

jbeletti
11-24-2017, 05:53 PM
Just took advantage of the Black Friday discount (well worth the effort), ordered the V4 KPD & PCB boards and a new RH Membrane. Hope two things, first that I ordered the correct boards and two, that the installation is "geezer friendly". Guess it would be a good idea to also replace the batteries with new ones while I have it apart.Unsure where I'll see you next George but I'd be happy to install this for you.

Chippendale
11-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Unsure where I'll see you next George but I'd be happy to install this for you.

Thanks Jim, but I am pretty sure that I will have it installed/upgraded by the time I see you next at the Sweetheart rally. I am going to be camping for about a week, 12/4 to 12/11, with some pretty handy Heartland "fix-it type" guys and if I haven't figured it out myself by then, I am sure I can twist some arms for advice/help.

Oregon_Camper
11-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Thanks Jim, but I am pretty sure that I will have it installed/upgraded by the time I see you next at the Sweetheart rally. I am going to be camping for about a week, 12/4 to 12/11, with some pretty handy Heartland "fix-it type" guys and if I haven't figured it out myself by then, I am sure I can twist some arms for advice/help.

You got this.... :) My video shows you the first step...then all you have to do to swap keyboard board is remove 4 tiny screws and unhook cable...then reverse process.

porthole
11-24-2017, 07:05 PM
Hey RV Lock mod......

Question, if multiple baggage locks were ordered today during the Black Friday sale:

Will they all be keyed alike?

Will they all be pre-programmed to open together?

Are the baggage locks also a “one touch lock”

RoadJunkie
11-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Last year I ordered 4 baggage and 1 door lock...I requested common key and so they were.

You can program all to operate with a single key fob, or they can be programmed to operate individually by using the key fob that comes with the lock, each lock comes with at least one fob. I used the orange buttons on the fob for the main door and the black buttons for the slam doors.

When I checked last week the one-touch for locking was not yet available on the slam door locks.

I'm not RVLock, but I hope this helps.