Need Help With wiring problem

I just purchased a used 2009 Heartland Big Country Bunk House 5th Wheel. I am very happy with it but I found two outlets that don't work. The one in the living area for the TV and the GFI in the Bathroom. These may be Wired together but WE can get no power to the wire. I do not know where to look next. I can not find any help online. Can anyone
help me know where to look next

danemayer

Hi Kanablongs,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You might find our Electrical User Guide helpful. It's in this folder. It'll help you understand how all the pieces go together.

When multiple outlets are without power, there can be several causes. But when the GFCI outlet is involved, it's usually a problem involving the GFCI.

Have you reset the GFCI? Does it stay reset?

Have you used a voltmeter to verify that power is getting to the backside of the GFCI outlet?

Hi Kanablongs,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You might find our Electrical User Guide helpful. It's in this folder. It'll help you understand how all the pieces go together.

When multiple outlets are without power, there can be several causes. But when the GFCI outlet is involved, it's usually a problem involving the GFCI.

Have you reset the GFCI? Does it stay reset?

Have you used a voltmeter to verify that power is getting to the backside of the GFCI outlet?

I looked at the guide. The GFI would not reset. I replaced the GFI with a new one. I did test the lines with the Voltage meter. There is no power getting to the Plug. I am trying to figure out where to look next. I have not seen where the wire runs to the plug from. I was hoping someone knew where to look. I do not want to have to open up the walls to try and trace the wire.

Thank you for your reply!

jimtoo

You have two panels where the power comes from, a 12v that has fuses in it and the other panel for 120v that has circuit breakers. Have you checked the circuit breakers? The GFI plug is fed from one of the 120v breakers. Some times a breaker will trip and you cannot hardly tell it, it is best to turn the breakers off and then turn it back on. Let us know what you find.

Jim M

danemayer

If the circuit breaker in the main panel is not tripped, you may have a problem with incoming power to the breaker panel. You could have an interruption at the campground pedestal, or if you're using any adapters, an adapter defect. Check that the shore power cord is fully locked into the connection at the trailer.

If the trailer has generator prep, you have an automatic transfer switch behind the basement passthrough storage wall. There could be a bad contact or loose wire inside.

mlpeloquin

Don't know how your Big Country is wired, but my GFI outlet in the bathroom powers the two 120V outlets in the kitchen island as well as the exterior outlets. You may want to check all your outlets for power. My TV outlet is wired to the outlets above the driver side of the fireplace, under the kitchen cabinets, and the refrigerator. Don't ask why my wife cannot remember when powering things up! Hopefully the wiring has not been mucked with. Power from the breaker should go to the GFI first and then to the other outlets in line with it. So see if other outlets do not have power including the exterior outlets.

You have two panels where the power comes from, a 12v that has fuses in it and the other panel for 120v that has circuit breakers. Have you checked the circuit breakers? The GFI plug is fed from one of the 120v breakers. Some times a breaker will trip and you cannot hardly tell it, it is best to turn the breakers off and then turn it back on. Let us know what you find.

Jim M

Thanks Jim

I have done that several times. I will keep plugging away I am sure I can fix it. Just wanted a shortcut and not have to peek behind walls to find the path of the wire.

Gary521

the Ground fault outlet protects the outlets "after" the outlet. That means that the issue is either between the breaker and the outlet or at the breaker. No need to open walls.

mlpeloquin

the Ground fault outlet protects the outlets "after" the outlet. That means that the issue is either between the breaker and the outlet or at the breaker. No need to open walls.

That is what bothers me. He states that only two sockets do not have power. One being the GFI and the one for the television. The outlets around the kitchen sink and outside sockets should be down stream of the or a GFI.

Gary521

That is what bothers me. He states that only two sockets do not have power. One being the GFI and the one for the television. The outlets around the kitchen sink and outside sockets should be down stream of the or a GFI.

I do not think that the TV is on the Ground Fault circuit. Sounds more like the issue is with the breakers or breaker box. If the breakers are not tripped, open the box to check for loose wires. Kill the power to do this. It could be a loose neutral too.

I do not think that the TV is on the Ground Fault circuit. Sounds more like the issue is with the breakers or breaker box. If the breakers are not tripped, open the box to check for loose wires. Kill the power to do this. It could be a loose neutral too.

Thanks for all the help. The only two outlets that do not work are the tv outlet and the Bathroom with the GFI in it. I will check the breaker.
It is plugged into a 240 50 amp outlet in my shop. so I think that is not a problem.

I am very impressed with all the help thanks again!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Are they in a slide out ?? Could be a loose wire in a junction box under the slide.
there are slide outs I will check that.