Gauges

Dusty

I finally broke down and had some gauges installed in my 2002 F250 diesel truck. the exhaust gas temp and the boost pressure gauges seem to work fine. I havent towed the trailer yet with the gauges installed, but in normal, no load driving, the temp hand doesnt even seem to move off the peg. Its lowest temp is 140 degrees or so, anyone know what normal should be?

Thanks
Dusty

timk

Dusty,
I think I read somewhere that normal is about double ambient.
TimK

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Dusty,

I have a digital EG Temp Gauge, installed post turbo, it starts out at ambient temp and will go up to 400 or so depending on the load and throttle position while driving solo. While towing it can get up to about 900 while pulling a grade about 60 MPH. I guess the average while towing temp is about 650-700. The GM recommended max EG Temp is 1000. My gauge is set to alarm at 925, so I will not damage the engine.

Tom of Ypsi

Dusty
I had a 2002, F-350, 7.3 and I think my guages started at 120 to 130 and they hardly moved. You should also a add trans temp guage, heat is the biggest killer of trannys and especially in the old trannys.

davebennington

Dusty,

I have gauges installed on my Dodge Ram 3500. The EGT runs 600 degrees solo at highway speed (taken post turbo at the exhaust brake housing). The transmission temps are at 120 highway speed boost is what ever depending on what the terrain is and how heavy your right foot is. I don't know if the Ford temps would be that much different.

Dave:)

Tom of Ypsi

This is my bad. I should have said the tanny temp was 120 - 130. The temp moved to 180 - 185 towing and on rare occasions up around 200.
Sorry aabout the mispost.

Dusty

Gauge Temps

Thanks guys,

sounds like i am just about in the ball park with the gauges. They installed the transmission temp probe into a port near the shift linkage, which means of course it reads the oil that contacts the probe when its running. I was wondering about the benefit of having it moved down to the transmission oil pan instead. any pros or cons on that one?

Thanks
Dusty