Accidentally plugged into 220V Nothing works properly

Im new to the RV world and assumed the RV 30 amp was 220volts. I ran a new circuit for the RV with a double 30 breaker, plugged it in and ran the lights and A/C unit for less then a minute, it was not running normally so I shut everything down then realized it should have been a 120v circuit. I corrected the problem with a new 120v circuit, plugged in and nothing would come on except the microwave. I checked the 12v battery and it was dead so I put an automotive charger on it. once it was charged I plugged back in to shore power and everything was working including the A/C. Over night I lost power again and discovered that the 12v battery was dead and nothing worked again.
Ive reset all of the breakers (all the way to off then on) checked all the fuses and tried to reset the breaker on the 12v bus bar near the battery. Can anyone lead me in the right direction to solve this problem.
Everything works when the 12v battery is charged, then once the battery is low nothing works..

danemayer

Bill,

It sounds like you may have fried your Power Converter. Its function is to convert 120V AC shore power to 12V DC. The 12V DC supplies power to the fuse box and also to charge the battery.

The fact that after manually charging the battery your interior lights and thermostat, etc. all work says that the path from battery through buss bar to the Power Converter and fuse box is ok. Just not getting 12V DC out of the converter.

You can find out more about the RV electrical by consulting our owner-written Electrical User Guide in this folder.

It's usually not too difficult to replace the Power Converter, but the specific part, and the location, varies depending on what trailer you have.

You'll need to be alert for other components that may have suffered damage from the 220V experience. Sometimes damage may not show up immediately.

wdk450

You need to take measurements with an AC voltmeter and logically work your way from the outside shore power electrical outlet to the non-working devices looking for voltage present or voltage not present. There are many different configurations of RV trailer AC wiring. Do the AC power first. DC (battery) power working/not working should have no effect on AC power working. Remember that BOTH hot and neutral on a 120 volt circuit should be conducting to get a current flow. I would be checking both ends of the shore cable for voltage, then jump to the breaker panel. Take off the front cover of the panel, and you should see the 4 large wires coming in from the shore power cord (there is a receptacle and a power transfer relay generally between the shore plug and the breaker panel). There should be a large cable with 4 large wires connecting to the breaker panel - a ground wire, a neutral wire, and 2 hot phase wires. Measure from each of the hot phases to the neutral to check for voltage. You may have to remove a couple of branch breakers (choose 2 side-by-side to be sure you can access both phases) With the mains ON check both of the hot contacts for the removed breakers to see if the mains are conducting.

I am assuming that you have a 50 amp RV plug originally installed on your trailer and are using a 30 amp male plug to 50 amp female socket adapter. This adapter connects the 2 50 amp hot wires together in parallel so that what is normally 2 different 50 amp phases with a 50 amp supply, is now a SHARED 120 volt 30 amp service. Once you get the AC branches working, you then get to check EVERYTHING with AC power to see if it still works.

DC not charging the battery may be just fuses blown on the inverter/converter which is usually in the crawl space, but you also could have blown out this expensive high-end device.

Good luck!!!

'Lil Guy'

Listen to Dan. Sounds like you've lost your converter. We lost ours twice(self induced) and were able to operate using shore power and a battery charger while waiting on our new converter. Save yourself some money and order it from the supplier who makes it. Good luck.

You need to take measurements with an AC voltmeter and logically work your way from the outside shore power electrical outlet to the non-working devices looking for voltage present or voltage not present. There are many different configurations of RV trailer AC wiring. Do the AC power first. DC (battery) power working/not working should have no effect on AC power working. Remember that BOTH hot and neutral on a 120 volt circuit should be conducting to get a current flow. I would be checking both ends of the shore cable for voltage, then jump to the breaker panel. Take off the front cover of the panel, and you should see the 4 large wires coming in from the shore power cord (there is a receptacle and a power transfer relay generally between the shore plug and the breaker panel). There should be a large cable with 4 large wires connecting to the breaker panel - a ground wire, a neutral wire, and 2 hot phase wires. Measure from each of the hot phases to the neutral to check for voltage. You may have to remove a couple of branch breakers (choose 2 side-by-side to be sure you can access both phases) With the mains ON check both of the hot contacts for the removed breakers to see if the mains are conducting.

I am assuming that you have a 50 amp RV plug originally installed on your trailer and are using a 30 amp male plug to 50 amp female socket adapter. This adapter connects the 2 50 amp hot wires together in parallel so that what is normally 2 different 50 amp phases with a 50 amp supply, is now a SHARED 120 volt 30 amp service. Once you get the AC branches working, you then get to check EVERYTHING with AC power to see if it still works.

DC not charging the battery may be just fuses blown on the inverter/converter which is usually in the crawl space, but you also could have blown out this expensive high-end device.

Good luck!!!

I really appreciate your input and advice. I will follow your steps and hope for the best on the appliances. What happened was I had a 50amp 220V circuit for a previous RV and I just assumed this new one was 30amp 220v so i just installed a new breaker and recp. lesson learned... never assume! thanks again

Bill,

It sounds like you may have fried your Power Converter. Its function is to convert 120V AC shore power to 12V DC. The 12V DC supplies power to the fuse box and also to charge the battery.

The fact that after manually charging the battery your interior lights and thermostat, etc. all work says that the path from battery through buss bar to the Power Converter and fuse box is ok. Just not getting 12V DC out of the converter.

You can find out more about the RV electrical by consulting our owner-written Electrical User Guide in this folder.

It's usually not too difficult to replace the Power Converter, but the specific part, and the location, varies depending on what trailer you have.

You'll need to be alert for other components that may have suffered damage from the 220V experience. Sometimes damage may not show up immediately.

Dan, Thank you for the quick response and I appreciate your advice as well as the links. I will start with testing all circuits..

wdk450

I really appreciate your input and advice. I will follow your steps and hope for the best on the appliances. What happened was I had a 50amp 220V circuit for a previous RV and I just assumed this new one was 30amp 220v so i just installed a new breaker and recp. lesson learned... never assume! thanks again

Did your trailer come with a 50 amp plug (4 prongs in a diamond pattern) or a 30 amp plug (3 prongs, 2 at 45 degree angle from vertical)? What Heartland Brand/Model/year do you have? Knowing this info will help other forum members help you.

Did your trailer come with a 50 amp plug (4 prongs in a diamond pattern) or a 30 amp plug (3 prongs, 2 at 45 degree angle from vertical)? What Heartland Brand/Model/year do you have? Knowing this info will help other forum members help you.

It is a 2017 Trail Runner 27FQBS with a 30 amp three prong cord.

- - - Updated - - -

Listen to Dan. Sounds like you've lost your converter. We lost ours twice(self induced) and were able to operate using shore power and a battery charger while waiting on our new converter. Save yourself some money and order it from the supplier who makes it. Good luck.

Sounds like I will be ordering a new converter. I appreciate all this support for you guys

wdk450

None of the Rvs that I know of use 220 volts. The 50 amp systems use two separate 110 circuits.

While most all RV's don't USE 220 volts, the standard RV 50 amp service has 2 separate 120 volt to neutral phases which are 180 degrees apart in sine wave phasing, making the voltage BETWEEN the 2 phases 220 volts. A very few of the high end million dollar class A RV coaches use this 220 volt source for clothes dryers, etc.

See: http://www.myrv.us/electric/index.htm click on the "50 Amp Service" tab, look at the 3rd paragraph.