Convenient Sewer Hose Storage

slaytop

I have been following the threads on sewer hose storage and was determined to find a location that is not exposed to bottoming out or inside the storage compartment where it may cause undesirable odor and drainage.

I first considered attaching a tube to the cross frame behind the storage compartment and running it through the current hose compartment to the outside. That would have required cutting through the compartment and the original hose storage tube and then resealing it.

Then, I noticed there is sufficient clearance above the sewer outlet to place a storage tube above it. It looked feasable to angle the tube from the outlet location to the cross frame. Fastening it in place was the next challenge. The front end could have been cradled and zip tied to the drain pipes but I was concerned about extra weight bearing down on the pipes.

I purchased a 64" E-Z Hose Carrier at CW and then I fabricated two brackets to hold the ends of the carrier. The front bracket is attached to the I beam above the sewer outlet. I drill 2 holes in the outside lip of the beam and tapped them for 5/16" bolts. The support strap is welded to a steel plate at the required angle and bolted to the frame. The rear bracket is a piece of heavy sheet metal bent to match the angle of the carrier and bolted to the cross frame.

The photos show the brackets and how the carrier fits. I will paint the brackets black but left them unpainted to show up better on the photos. Also, notice the valve added to the outlet for settled waste water control.

I feel that this will be a very convenient and secure location for my main hose. I may put a rod through the tube to keep the hose from going down too far and out of reach. It is still possible to open the back end for another hose. I will use the original storage tube for an extra length of hose.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 254

jbeletti

slaytop,

Nice mod! Puts the hose right where you need it. Maybe I'll move mine this year. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Cooper

I put mine behind the rear wheels in a PVC tube. Putting the sewer hose there helps because there is no smell or dripping in the storage compartment. To bad the storage for the sewer hose is not long enough for a good sewer hose.

K

Ken Washington

Slaytop,
Nice job-the best I have seen! Will the tube hold the drain hose with the fittings left on? Can I get you to come to my house and help me install one on my coach? Ha Ha
Ken

Cooper

Sure I will come help go ahead and start and I will be there as fast as I can. I would love to come to NC to see my son again. My clear elbow and all will fit in the tube its long enough to put 2 or 3 hose in and its hides behind the rear wheel. I made a slide in side the tube you just pull and it bring everything to your finger tips. That spot they have for the sewer hose will only take, the one in the kit they give you with your trailer and its way to short ( cheap hose)

slaytop

Ken,
I'd be happy to help you the next time I come your way. The E-Z Carrier is a 5" diameter tube and will hold the fittings. I put a long 1/4" bolt through the tube 40" from the end to prevent the hose and fittings from going all the way down to the opposite end.

K

Ken Washington

Slaytop,
Thanks for being willing to help! I have found that people who do what we do ( camping ) are the cream of the crop! I really enjoy the people on this fourm and learn so much that will make life better while camping. I believe that Heartland should take note of this problem with the storage of the sewer hose and fix it.
Ken

Cooper

I have a halfmoon tray open at one end. I attached a rope to it that reach's the length of my tube just pull till you find what you need. My elbows ,fittings and extra hoses fit fine. I used two U-bolts to attach mine to the frame.

K

Ken Washington

Just a thought! You can always us your awning tool to reach and pull out hoses. I am going to buy the storage tube the next time I get a chance.
Ken

Cooper

Ken, take a flat metal strap driil a hole in one end. Bend the oppsite end into a 90. Tie a heavy string on the end where you drill the hole. Put the 90 degree end in the pipe lay your sewer hose on it and push it in and then your elbow and all your fittings. Pull the string to get it back out. The 90 in the metal will stop anything from going past and allow you to pull all your sewer items out.

Blessed

Sewer Hose Storage

At the rally last weekend when we were touring the plant, we were telling Scott about how limited the storage was for the sewer hose in the black plastic compartment near the tank outlet. He said that an owner told him that he had removed the white outlet piece (10 screws) from the black plastic tank. When you pull it out there is a round black plastic tube riveted to the white outlet. You can either cut the platic tube off or drill out the rivets and remove the tube. Reinstall the white outlet piece on to the black plastic tank. I did this when we got home and now 20' of hose fits in there easily.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
A while back I posted a mod with the stock hose storage. As you say, remove the white plastic storage unit, a few screws and the whole unit comes out. I cut off the back were the stock unit reduces to a 4 inch size. I placed a 5 inch flange and hose to the back side of the stock unit. Cut the hose to the length you can fit into the compartment. I have enough to easy hold 30ft of sewer hose. With the 5 inch size, all the fittings including the clear elbow fits easy inside the modified storage tube. I sealed the end and pitched the tube so all the water drains to the storage door, not inside the camper. I was thinking about adding another, but with 30+ feet I have not needed more.

K

Ken Washington

Blessed,
Thanks for the tip of removing the tube in the sewer storage area! I just did mine and have so much more room for a hose. Was real easy to do!

Ken